PDA

View Full Version : Tobin lake resort

crosbyfan123
07-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Heading there in august.

Anyone ever experience it looking for some feed back on the facilities and also the lake if it's a good fishery.

Thanksany replies are much appreciated.

bobalong
07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Heading there in august.

Anyone ever experience it looking for some feed back on the facilities and also the lake if it's a good fishery.

Thanksany replies are much appreciated.

If you are a walleye fisherman it is probably the best body of water for big walleye on the prairies, and possibly in Canada.

We have fished the river more than the lake, but the cabins we stayed at on Tobin were not that far from the river.

Bound2Fish
07-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Was there a couple weeks ago. Fishing was terrible. The worst they have seen in 15 years some were saying. As for the resort, I wouldnt stay there, but thats just my opinion. If you have a trailer there is a campground on top of the hill I would recommend staying at. Hopefully the fishing is better for you. If you can afford it, get a guide as there are some tricky spots in the lake and you really need to watch through the river. Good luck.

crosbyfan123
07-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Was there a couple weeks ago. Fishing was terrible. The worst they have seen in 15 years some were saying. As for the resort, I wouldnt stay there, but thats just my opinion. If you have a trailer there is a campground on top of the hill I would recommend staying at. Hopefully the fishing is better for you. If you can afford it, get a guide as there are some tricky spots in the lake and you really need to watch through the river. Good luck.

Whats wrong with the resort.?
And how bad was the fishing?
Thanks

Bound2Fish
07-24-2013, 08:51 PM
We found the owners to be double dipping us for things we prepaid for. We had a boat slip but needed to take the boat out and put it back in for repair (there is a ton of driftwood everywhere) so they wanted to charge us for each time we used the boat launch. Then we had to push the boat out of the mud since they never told us they were lowering the lake and our boat slip was going to be affected. Prices for things were quite high IMO, head to the convience store on top of the hill at the campsite, they are great to deal with. I am sure I am forgetting a few things. So I guess it was more of a service quality issue than anything.

As for the fishing, we caught 3 walleye in 5 days which were too small and a few pike. Kept and ate 2 of them. Water was so muddy and dirty visibility was less than 1 inch as they had the dams open to prepare for the flood water coming from AB. So hopefully it has cleaned up and you have better luck.

crosbyfan123
07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
We found the owners to be double dipping us for things we prepaid for. We had a boat slip but needed to take the boat out and put it back in for repair (there is a ton of driftwood everywhere) so they wanted to charge us for each time we used the boat launch. Then we had to push the boat out of the mud since they never told us they were lowering the lake and our boat slip was going to be affected. Prices for things were quite high IMO, head to the convience store on top of the hill at the campsite, they are great to deal with. I am sure I am forgetting a few things. So I guess it was more of a service quality issue than anything.

As for the fishing, we caught 3 walleye in 5 days which were too small and a few pike. Kept and ate 2 of them. Water was so muddy and dirty visibility was less than 1 inch as they had the dams open to prepare for the flood water coming from AB. So hopefully it has cleaned up and you have better luck.

Thanks I appreciate the honesty and I'll keep an eye out for the extra charges. I've heard mixed reviews like any place but I'm worries mostly about the fishing. I feel for you and that unfortunate fish trip. My first time to Saskatchewan and I would love to catch some big fish.

How were the boats regarding quality and shape they are in?
By the way I really appreciate the info.

Bound2Fish
07-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Boats were in decent shape, not great but not terrible either. Always left untarped, low quality electronics, dinged up pretty good but they will get the job done. Motors sound and look to be maintained.

Let me know when you get back and how you did at the resort and fishing.

Teamprotz
07-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Fishing is improving though !

crosbyfan123
07-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Fishing is improving though !

have you been there recently

Teamprotz
07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Dad lives in Nipawin. Mostly fishes the river but gets reports from the lake. Was just told yesterday that there had been some big walleye and pike lately. River is still fast and dirty but the small fish are picking up.

Safety D
07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Go to Dore. Its great