PDA

View Full Version : Archery Moose Hunting Success???

swift1
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey there,
Just wondering about the success rate on archery moose during the rut and do those Flambeau Moose decoys really work when calling.
I'm going north of Athabasca and it seems like there is alot of bush and cutlines up there, and moose were hard to find last November in the rifle draw season. Thought I would set up on a cutline, set up a Flambeau Cow Moose Decoy and try calling around Oct. 1.
Has anyone tried this? Success or not? How do the decoys work and any bear experiences?

nicholal
08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Save your gas money!!...........there are no moose around here.............lol

The decoy should work awsome. I have heard of guys using that black garden fabric with a little white spray paint. Throw it over a small clump of willow and ya got a instant decoy plus real cheap and light. Also try them moose estrues scent sticks that you light with the decoy

AL

BigRackLover
08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I've used decoys with success.

Don't know about your WMU area though.

Called a moose in a came right on in, stop and stared at the decoy ... got the shot off and he did not even spook, he was still looking at the decoy. He died 2 minutes/ 15 yards later.

Cowboy Al
08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Al, thanks for the decoy tip! That is something I'm going to try.

Albertabowhunter
08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
use burlap, painted. Use some cord to hang it from branches.... and a few weights at the bottem to reduce wind movement...... A friend has one and he says it works well....

Pheasantnut
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Studies have shown that moose can only focus up to 15 feet in front of them, it's their sense of smell and hearing that are their greatest assets. I've been lucky to take bulls the last three years with my bow. The decoys work great but it helps if you're also spraying cow in heat urine into the wind so his nose confirms what he thinks he's seeing.

Sakoman
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I have used a Montana decoy in the past with mixed success. If you use a montana decoy make sure you test it at home before going to the field they can be a pain to fold back up!!:)

muzzy
08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I've used a Montana decoy here in Bc for past 5 years with great success Called in lots of bulls and had them key in on decoy and walk right up to it I hang some cotton balls around it with scent as a further enticer. Prior to buying the montana decoy I used to just get a roll of the heaviest tar paper I could find, cut out a cow silouette from it and use bull dog clips and clip it willows Worked great and cost pennies to make

Gord