PDA

View Full Version : Tahsis fishing

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Has anyone been to this area before fishing? Heading that way next week in a trip with some buddies who set it all up....wondering what to expect!

LC

MTB_FlyFisher
07-25-2013, 05:17 PM
well, I was going to c'n'p a reply from a thread earlier this year that I'd written out. Saw that you'd already participated in that thread though so I'll just link to it here so you can reread.

tahsis van island (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=172081)

King Midas
07-25-2013, 05:22 PM
I was there three years ago in mid july and the fishing was wicked for salmon. Bottom fishing was ok, nothing mind blowing but reasonable. The only down side if you are staying in Tahsis is that it takes over an hour and a half (if I remember correctly) to get to the main fishing spots. You are definitely in for a blast though!!

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2013, 10:05 PM
well, I was going to c'n'p a reply from a thread earlier this year that I'd written out. Saw that you'd already participated in that thread though so I'll just link to it here so you can reread.

tahsis van island (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=172081)

Thanks for finding that old thread!

I picked up an assortment of flies I think might work.....you know the ones that might catch more fishermen than fish :)

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/27300EE4-6776-4C1B-B897-733C64A79092-4233-000000A2F3243430_zpsf8b5ff63.jpg

If I even land one salmon on the fly rod....cancel that, get a bite on my fly rod I will have completed a personal goal!

LV

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
I was there three years ago in mid july and the fishing was wicked for salmon. Bottom fishing was ok, nothing mind blowing but reasonable. The only down side if you are staying in Tahsis is that it takes over an hour and a half (if I remember correctly) to get to the main fishing spots. You are definitely in for a blast though!!

We are actually staying in a floating lodge....I think is it an hour by water taxi to get there, hoping to fish right off the dock there :)

LC

MTB_FlyFisher
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
That reminds me...

While we were out there we were staying at what basically amounted to floating cabins just off shore. At the end of the day the fish you caught would be cleaned and there was a huge amount of blood / guts / etc washed into the ocean. Of course this amounted to a huge feeding frenzy by the mackeral (???, unsure of exact species) that had taken up residence since they knew about the daily 'feeding' schedule.

We didn't have our fly rods, but there was a small spinning outfit for the guests use. We tied on a jighead and a small piece of plastic to give it some action in the water and would be hitting these fiesty 12" - 14" fish for as long as we wanted to. They were actually fairly good fights for their size, and by the end of the trip we'd decided that if we were ever back this way we'd bring the heavier fly rods for the bigger fish as well as the smaller weight rod to add a little fun to the end of the day dock fishing.

I'd imagine a 3-wt or 4-wt rod would be great for something like that, and chances are you could probably easily get away with using any trout flies / streamers you had, so no need to pick up any extra flies for catching fishermen. ;)