PDA

View Full Version : Baiting with light

munki63
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
I was reading the regulations for BC, as I'm heading out on a trip in August, and in the regulations it mentioned something about not baiting fish with light unless connected to your line within 1m from your lure, Im pretty new to the sport and have never thought of it, So I looked it up on youtube and guys tie on glow sticks, any thoughts on that and the lure below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mig6tpVtbw

munki63
07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/fishing24hours_com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

MtnGiant
07-25-2013, 09:24 PM
There is no baiting with light in BC and there is also no fishing after dusk as far as I can remember.
And if you`re flyfishing....you can only use one hook .....no hopper dropper or triplet setups like in AB.

I never even heard of a hopper dropper til I got to AB.....it was kinda cool to start fishing this way.

Northern Yaker
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes you can fish after dusk and I don't see where it says you can't bait with light, but have read the bit about having a light on your line. Let us know how it goes.

Legend Boats
07-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Hmm, it sounds like one of those rules that aren't really clear. I would call the ministry to get clarification.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

Northern Yaker
07-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Pg 9 of BC regs the OP is right word for word. Dosnt need clarification it IS allowed.

munki63
07-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Are there any thoughts if it would actually work, I don't think you could use it with a crank bait, Maybe trolling or on a pickerel rig? I'm pretty new to the sport what do you guys think? I grabbed a glow stick as seen in some YouTube videos but didn't realize they were way to big

Mikezilk
07-27-2013, 04:38 PM
A couple very important things to remember when fishing in BC.

Length of a fish is to the fork in the tail, not pinched tail.

Many waters have hook restrictions- single hook or barbless or booth. so be prepared to take treble hooks off lures and replace with singles.

Some waters in BC are not allowed to be fished at night. Easiest thing to do is to call BC fish and wildlife and ask questions. Better to be in the know than to go out and get nailed with hefty fines for not knowing.

To be honest, if it isnt completely clear in the regs, don't believe any that tells you otherwise unless they are with BC Fish and Wildlife.

I grew up there and regulations are very different there than here.

munki63
07-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Ive read the regulations over and over, you only use single hooks in BC they have to be barbless in creeks/streams or rivers, lakes can be barbed unless there are restrictions for that particular lake, Im going to Christina lake for the month of Aug and going after Bass never fished for them before so should be fun, But I have to change my lures over to single barbless hooks, The cabin I'll be at is at the drainage point of the Lake, So I hope its good fishing there.

But as I said in my original post, In the regulations you are allowed to attach light to your line with in 1m from your hook

Mikezilk
07-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Yep... you are right on the lights.

Have a great time and good luck. Christina Lake is beautiful. Be sure to try your luck in the rivers and streams there too. Nice fish.

munki63
07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
The Alberta regulation on the subject

It Is Unlawful To:
"Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras"

Mikezilk
07-28-2013, 03:25 PM
The Alberta regulation on the subject

It Is Unlawful To:
"Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras"

Yeah... no regulation that it has to be within 1 meter of the hook

munki63
06-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Back on the subject again, Does attaching an LED to your lure actually help or is it just a gimmick?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484914984/the-lure-light?ref=discovery

Northern Yaker
06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Also barbs, trebles and cranks with more than one hook are OK in lakes unless otherwise stated. Phoned a local F&G office while out there in April.

munki63
06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
So nobody has tried this LED trick?

Habfan
06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
So nobody has tried this LED trick?

Works great ice fishing for Burbot at night

Red Bullets
06-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Try glow in the dark lures and see how you do. A night feeding fish will feed whether there is a light or not.

ironbutterfly
06-18-2014, 01:55 AM
I can tell about the alberta situation because I asked the CO one time. You can't use a light to attract fish, you can fish after sunset,

fluxcore
06-18-2014, 06:51 AM
I can tell about the alberta situation because I asked the CO one time. You can't use a light to attract fish, you can fish after sunset,

You can use a light but it must be attached to the line, yes fishing at night is perfectly fine. I've attached glow sticks a foot above my jig at night during the winter for burbot and believe it does help.

Bushleague
06-18-2014, 12:54 PM
I've never had better luck using glow in the dark lures over a regular one. Fish are highly capable of finding food without their eyes. If you feel that they might have trouble seeing your hook then appeal to their other senses, something that puts out lots of vibration or live bait. Usually when I fish at night I'll generally just soak a minnow and in a nice big pool or eddy until something smells it out.

Flieguy
06-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I've never had better luck using glow in the dark lures over a regular one. Fish are highly capable of finding food without their eyes. If you feel that they might have trouble seeing your hook then appeal to their other senses, something that puts out lots of vibration or live bait. Usually when I fish at night I'll generally just soak a minnow and in a nice big pool or eddy until something smells it out.

X2. Fish that feed at night are evolved to do so without the aid of lights on their food.