PDA

View Full Version : FishFinder On Alum 12'

munki63
07-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking of the 120 Fishin' Buddy any thoughts or better ideas? looking not to spend more then $200, What do you think

CK Angler
07-27-2013, 05:11 PM
I've never been a fan of the wand type depth finders. I've never known them to read well traveling, feel free to correct me if im wrong. I have a portable hummingbird, not sure what model off the top of my head, with the suction cup mount, they work good and if mounted right will read well running, but I have chopped 2 transducers to date over 5 years... I always keep a spare in my tackle box, but IMO that's the way to go.

Wild&Free
07-27-2013, 05:34 PM
I've never been a fan of the wand type depth finders. I've never known them to read well traveling, feel free to correct me if im wrong. I have a portable hummingbird, not sure what model off the top of my head, with the suction cup mount, they work good and if mounted right will read well running, but I have chopped 2 transducers to date over 5 years... I always keep a spare in my tackle box, but IMO that's the way to go.

another vote for a portable hummingbird. The suction cup mount isn't the greatest at any sort of speed, but for putting around and trolling it works great... as a depth finder, not the greatest for marking fish, but will show weed structure really well.

Bjay
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a portable Mumminbird Piranha Max . Is 7 or 8 years old works well but you will need a new suction cup every 5 years or so. No big deal. It has lasted longer than any other unit I have owned. Had about 6 o7 other makes and models in the last 30 years. I tie a line (light rope) onto the suction unit and to the boat so that if it comes free it won't hit the prop, very important you do this or big expensive ouch. I don't leave home without my sonar.
Columbia old guy

huntsfurfish
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Either a Lowrance or Humminbird portable would be the ticket.:)

RavYak
07-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Can go portable or mount one. I use a Humminbird 565.

If you don't want to attach it directly to boat there are a couple tricks a person can use. On my old boat I had the transducer mounted to a piece of wood which fit in handle at back of boat, would just wedge the wood into place and was good to go.

I had the display mounted to a wood base that hugged one of the seats so that I didn't have to drill holes in the seat.

Lots of other little tricks a guy can use as well so I wouldn't be too worried about finding a portable model. Just find the best one you can afford and then figure out a way to mount it.

FishHunterPro
07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Lowrance X-4 portable or lowrance mark 5X portable, both great units.

TUFFBUFF
07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Can go portable or mount one. I use a Humminbird 565.

If you don't want to attach it directly to boat there are a couple tricks a person can use. On my old boat I had the transducer mounted to a piece of wood which fit in handle at back of boat, would just wedge the wood into place and was good to go.

I had the display mounted to a wood base that hugged one of the seats so that I didn't have to drill holes in the seat.
it.

I did this also, just c-clamp the transducer/wood combo to the boat, make sure strait up/down. Good to go.

kevinhits
07-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Does anyone have any pics of their transducer rigged up on there boat..I would like to do this also, but not so clear on how to do it:)

Geezle
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
See if there's anything in the buy & sell section. If all you're really after is structure and depth you don't need too crazy of a sonar.

Last year I bought an old Humminbird 727 from another member and mounted it in my tinner. I just mounted the transducer bracket on with a couple self tapping screws, and then slapped some JB weld over the screws and called it done.

The display is removable, so I just screwed the base to the middle (unused) seat, and pop on the display when I need it, and then take it out of the boat when I'm not using it. I run it off of a battery from my underwater cam and it'll usually last a few days on a full charge :)

Fort fisherman
07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I have a new (mounted and removed) Hummingbird, I will have to get the model when I get hiome) for sale, $50.... let me know, paid 130

Legend Boats
08-01-2013, 05:29 AM
When the fishing buddies first came out they weren't the same quality as you see them now. They did break and where made by a no name company. If you check out humminbird's website you'll see that they use current heads with better technology transducers. The fishing buddy is a great concept and keeps everything tight and organize for those trips in the backwoods. I would recommend them for what your using it for :)

http://ca.humminbird.com/products/271365/120_Fishin%27_Buddy

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats