PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to catch a fish moments

Wild&Free
07-28-2013, 09:38 AM
So we all have our own little tricks and superstitions about attracting a fish to bite. Whether you're calling here fishy fishy fish, lighting a smoke, staring at the clouds watching your rod out of the corner of your eye or dancing a little jig. I'd like to share and hear about some of these moments.

For me, it was up a Bischto this spring. Every time the fishing slowed down, I'd throw on my bobber and a minnow, chuck it over the side and declare out loud "Boy, it's slowed down I think I'll mix a drink and catch a fish." No sooner then having my rum poured and reaching for the mix my bobber would disappear. I caught the biggest pike of the trip doing this, and a few other large ones. The shining moment was not catching the fishes, but the last time I did it and my roommate looked over at me, square in the eyes and said "I so ****ing hate you right now" as I'm laughing my ass off for having had it work AGAIN. The look on his face was priceless!

davegrant
07-28-2013, 09:58 AM
2 tricks come to mind that always caught fish when slowed down.
1) sandwich in one hand drink in other
2) seen this at Calling Lake cell phone rings 5 times = 5 # walleye 7 rings = 7 # walleye. by end of the day we just let it ring not answer but then wouldn't catch.

It's an exact science !!!

Jason66
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
My fav would have to be when the bite slows down while ice fishing, fire up the auger and drill another hole. Tip ups start flying every time.

WayneChristie
07-28-2013, 11:45 AM
taking a bite of your sandwhich, cracking a beer, sending a text, or most common pulling down your zipper to take a leak. way too often to be coincidence

Vigsy
07-28-2013, 12:51 PM
or most common pulling down your zipper to take a leak. way too often to be coincidence

Agreed, everytime!

tight line
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Agreed, everytime!

X2. Especially on Cold Lake. Keep line in jigging while i go outside! Wham! Lol, and Texting or Calling= Big Laker! Lol

dale7637
07-28-2013, 09:02 PM
I just threaten my hook. If a spoon isn't working, I will say out loud " one more cast and this pos is gojng back in the tackle box" 14% of the time, it works every time.

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2013, 09:08 PM
taking a bite of your sandwhich, cracking a beer, sending a text, or most common pulling down your zipper to take a leak. way too often to be coincidence

I hope you are trying to fish with two rods? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC :)

Gust
07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I just threaten my hook. If a spoon isn't working, I will say out loud " one more cast and this pos is gojng back in the tackle box" 14% of the time, it works every time.

I talk to and threaten my lures all the time, sad really.

I fish very often with my dad, he's old - though you'd never guess it when fishing -, when we fish side by side, we get fewer bites and it is never an insult if one of us wanders away to fish - and catch - elsewhere. We laugh about it a lot, sometimes if things are slow he'll tell me to go catch a fish somewhere else so he can catch one too. Then we phone eachother on what's working.

The tip up most likely to trigger is the one furthest away on the day that you forgot your cleats and a Chinook has made a thin slick of water between you and the tip up.

FishHunterPro
07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Haha angry Fishing always works, but it has to authentic !

chriscosta
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM
try fallin asleep with a line in your hand lol seems to work or just simply put your rod down to do something i swear them fish are watchin till we aint ready lol

OneGirlWolfPack
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Haha angry Fishing always works, but it has to authentic !

So true! To this day my friends still laugh about me catching my first fish after losing my cool, turning to them and saying "That's it! I quit! Fishing is not for me." The second I declared that, my arm yanked backwards and I reeled in while feeling like a clown for losing my cool. Lol! I still only get bites when I'm not paying attention.

FishHunterPro
07-28-2013, 10:36 PM
So true! To this day my friends still laugh about me catching my first fish after losing my cool, turning to them and saying "That's it! I quit! Fishing is not for me." The second I declared that, my arm yanked backwards and I reeled in while feeling like a clown for losing my cool. Lol! I still only get bites when I'm not paying attention.

Lol this is exactly what I'm talking about .

Bigdad013
07-29-2013, 06:51 AM
After reading sometime ago about bananas being bad luck. My son and I were fishing the Shuswap last week, he pulled a banana out of his pack, I told him about the superstition. He quickly threw the banana out, not 1 minute later, we had a 25 lb chinook on the line. Might be something to that superstition.

Wild&Free
07-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Some good ones here. Keep em coming.

Another one of mine, Buddy back in BC who always never brought enough cigarettes would always call to me when I was down stream wading for a smoke. I'd tell him to come down instead of me walking back up, though every once and a while I'd wade up stream, sometimes not reeling in dragging it behind me (bottom bounce setup) seemed to catch me a fish every once and a while with my rod over my shoulder and picking my way up the current over the rocks.

Chief16
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Asking what time it is has got me bites on a couple occasions. The bite will be slow and buddy will ask what time it is and get ready to leave. Half way through my reply fish on!

Freedom55
07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Seems to me that the wake from a passing boat causes a strike while vertical jigging for walleye.

I'll tell you what doesn't work. Seeing them on the sonar!

Free

NEWB
07-29-2013, 12:32 PM
For me it’s when….

1) I decide to reply to a text on the boat, the moment I pick up the phone or start looking around.. Strike..
2) My 3.5 year old daughter is smacking her fishing rod against the side of the boat as she if is trying out for a rock band and I lean over to stop the madness, or wants me to hold her rod while she decides to get her ponies. My rod is on the Starboard, hers is on the port, I am in the middle of the boat in a precarious situation…. Strike
3) When I think this hardware is not working and I think I am about to pull in and change it.. Strike…

TheRealDeal
07-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Back in June my oldest son and I got up at 2:30 am, left camp and boated about 6 miles in our little 12 foot with an 8hp. Was a long cold ride. The guys camped next to us had caught 3 Walleye over 9 lbs the night before in a spot across the lake and suggested we try it. We fished until 9am and caught nothing over 6. So we started heading back to camp. About 1/4 mile before camp I got this sudden urge to fish. Was a totally flat bottom, 9 feet deep, zero structure. But I had just had this feeling. So we slowed down and lobbed out our 6" spoons and started trolling. Not 30 seconds later my boy tied into a good one. Turned out to be over 10 lbs. After we put him on the stringer we lobbed them out again and not 3 mins later I had a 9 1/2. In a matter of 10 mins we landed 2 trophy Walleye and all because of some silly feeling.

ETOWNCANUCK
07-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Now where did I put that dynamite....