PDA

View Full Version : canmore fishing

mountain man 300 win
07-28-2013, 10:09 AM
I have been working in canmore for a weeks and the bow river (I believe) is running right by hiway 1, and just wondering what is good to use in there. Would like to get into fly fishing so any tips on fly fishing would be lovely too!
Thanks Shamus

Flieguy
07-28-2013, 11:31 AM
never fished the bow up there but I've heard it can be productive. Go swing by wapiti sports and ask them for help.

Or head up the spray lakes road to goat pond, where you can nab some whitefish and trout. there's lots of good hikeable lakes in the area that fish well on a fly.

as for what to use, here's what i recommend for beginners:
flowing water: learn to swing a small wooley bugger if there are no risers.

stillwater: micro leech retrieved slowly, hare's ear under an indicator, or chironomid.

again, wapiti sports will probably have a better answer for you than I did, and likely have some favorite local techniques.

mountain man 300 win
07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you very much

Freedom55
07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
I have been working in canmore for a weeks and the bow river (I believe) is running right by hiway 1, and just wondering what is good to use in there.

Make a sieve out of two sticks and a piece of metal screen. Walk along the shallows, kicking up the rocks. Catch the debris in your net. Select the hellgrammites to use as bait on a single hook tied 18" above a 1/4 oz. sinker. You quarter-cast upstream, then let it drift past you a ways. Try a Gibbs slip-tube float. Both mountain whitefish and small trout will happen.

Or a royal coachman tipped with a maggot (read the regulations re: bait bans) fished the same way. Sure fire whitefish method.

Casting small spinners (Panther Martin, Mepps) downstream with a fast retrieve always works in streams and rivers. Optional: tip with a salmon egg. Again, see reg's.

Free