PDA

View Full Version : Dog & fifth wheel ?

Walleye1114
07-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Going on a trip, but no room for the dogs in the truck or in kennel in the box.so wondering if it is safe to have them ride in the fifth wheel, heard that they might carbon dioxide poisoning, any body have any info

Thanks

220swifty
07-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Mine ride in the bumper pull.

Redfrog
07-28-2013, 11:00 AM
crate him and he\'ll be good to go.

Vigilante
07-28-2013, 11:10 AM
My dog rides in the bumper pull all the time. And I have never had my CO alarm go off in the trailer from pulling it around.

catnthehat
07-28-2013, 11:24 AM
My dog rides in the bumper pull all the time. And I have never had my CO alarm go off in the trailer from pulling it around.

I know of one breeder that has used a bumper pull trailer on his motor home for years, he hauls his dogs in it with no problem.
I'm not sure where the idea came from, but if it was true, wouldn't there be a lot of dead horses being trailered as well?:thinking-006:
Cat

bubba 96
07-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I tow a 5th wheel drive with my boxer crated in rv for 8 yrs now...

Walleye1114
07-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all replies, so do you guys have any windows or vents open

Kaz Dog
07-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Just like a car in a parking lot, trailers heat up too. Crack a couple of windows at the front of the trailer and you will be fine.Thanks for all replies, so do you guys have any windows or vents open

Grizzly Adams
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Just like a car in a parking lot, trailers heat up too. Crack a couple of windows at the front of the trailer and you will be fine.

And be sure he's not of those mutts who like to tear the place up when they're lonely. :lol:

Grizz

Grizzly Adams
07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
I know of one breeder that has used a bumper pull trailer on his motor home for years, he hauls his dogs in it with no problem.
I'm not sure where the idea came from, but if it was true, wouldn't there be a lot of dead horses being trailered as well?:thinking-006:
Cat

Actually remember a few horses getting gassed, when 5th wheels first became popular. Usually related to diesel trucks, maybe improved pollution control has taken care of that problem ?

Grizz

catnthehat
07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Actually remember a few horses getting gassed, when 5th wheels first became popular. Usually related to diesel trucks, maybe improved pollution control has taken care of that problem ?

Grizz

Taking into account how many yahoos think making smoke at a stop light is cool, I don't doubt that an ill tuned diesel would do that!!:thinking-006:
I don't think that is the enorm however, is it?
How many times have you heard it?
I find this very interesting , because it has never come up in conversation before with the people I know that run dogs, never heard of it with horse people either.
I'm wondering if it is in fact more common than we think?!:confused:
Cat

220swifty
07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Location of the tailpipe is also a factor. Exhaust out the side or up thru a stack is taken directly away by air movement. Pipes out the back, however, may allow the CO to get caught up in the vortex created between truck and trailer, and some may find its way into the trailer if there is a bad seal, etc, on the front of the trailer.

Open a few windows and you will get enough fresh air that you shouldn't have any worries.

dale7637
07-28-2013, 08:57 PM
We haul ours in the 5th all the time. I installed an anchor point beside the main bed so rhat we could tie them in and at least save thm from becoming ping pong balls if we have a wreck.

super7mag
07-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Grizz

Very minute CO in diesel exhaust, mostly NOX and particulates. To have enough CO to gas a horse it would have too have been a gas jobby pulling the trailer.