PDA

View Full Version : Cure for smoking salmon

FLETCH
07-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have a good dry cure or brine for smoking salmon. The one I have is to salty for my taste. Thanks.

AppleJax
07-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Does anyone have a good dry cure or brine for smoking salmon. The one I have is to salty for my taste. Thanks.

3:1 Brown sugar to salt. Spices to taste. Remember when curing fish for smoking you should rinse the fillets after brining before you smoke. That might help with your salt issue.

Loco
07-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I use the one on salmon university. Apple wood smoke for two hours at 120

curtz
07-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I buy packaged brine at Halford Hide in Edmonton, just add water and follow instructions. I buy one kind for white fish but they have one just for salmon. Its called gourmet brine mix, web site www.wildwestseasonings.com

Wild&Free
07-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Brines should be 7:1 water/liquid to salt. 7 cups water to 1 cup salt is good for about 15-20lbs of salmon usually. I like it a little on the salty side, it keeps longer. You can use less salt if you like, or a shorter soak time. Most of the salt has replaced the water in the fish after 4-6 hours of soaking, longer soaks get the other flavours in your brine into the fish. Another thing you can do is replace some of the salt with a high sodium liquid like Soya Sauce.

3:1 sugar to salt would make for a very sweet fish imo, I prefer to use a bit of maple syrup brushed onto the fish before I put it into the smoker to make it sweet. Again, I prefer salt over sweet, but that's just me.

Apple is that a Dry rub or Brine btw?

Rinsing it after the brine can help, but you still need to let it rest and form a patina before smoking, this is very important.

Jamie
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
My smoked/candied salmon is as follows
Using chinook sliced into the width of the knife
Cut the thin parts from the thick
5 parts demeria brown sugar
1 part course salt
Fresh garlic
Fresh ginger
Hot chili flakes

Using a Rubbermaid tub, thin layer of the mix
Put first layer of salmon skin side up
Another layer of sugar/salt/spices
Another layer of salmon
And so on.
Seal up lid, let soak for 24 hours, stir up whenever you walk by the fridge.

Put on bradley racks
Thick cuts to the bottom
Let smoke with Alder for 3 hours and a total cook time of 6 hours. As low as your Bradley will go.

The lower the heat, the chunkier it gets, the higher the heat, the flakier it gets.
Feel free to add honey and cracked pepper in the last hour. Or just leave it.

Let set up in paper lunch bags over night.

This recepie works EXTREMLY well here at the Lodge.

I did notice when we use Coho, it's a saltier set up, so I would back off if that is the meat you have.

Coho isn't as fatty and the salt sugar combo will not pull out the same amount of liquid.

Good luck
Jamie

Redfrog
07-28-2013, 02:12 PM
My smoked/candied salmon is as follows
Using chinook sliced into the width of the knife
Cut the thin parts from the thick
5 parts demeria brown sugar
1 part course salt
Fresh garlic
Fresh ginger
Hot chili flakes

Using a Rubbermaid tub, thin layer of the mix
Put first layer of salmon skin side up
Another layer of sugar/salt/spices
Another layer of salmon
And so on.
Seal up lid, let soak for 24 hours, stir up whenever you walk by the fridge.

Put on bradley racks
Thick cuts to the bottom
Let smoke with Alder for 3 hours and a total cook time of 6 hours. As low as your Bradley will go.

The lower the heat, the chunkier it gets, the higher the heat, the flakier it gets.
Feel free to add honey and cracked pepper in the last hour. Or just leave it.

Let set up in paper lunch bags over night.

This recepie works EXTREMLY well here at the Lodge.

I did notice when we use Coho, it's a saltier set up, so I would back off if that is the meat you have.

Coho isn't as fatty and the salt sugar combo will not pull out the same amount of liquid.

Good luck
Jamie

This is very close to my recipe and method. excellent for sockeye.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/sockeye003.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Redfrog/media/sockeye003.jpg.html)

Jamie
07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Red, what do you do different?

When you coming fishing?
It's been a really good year up here.

Jamie

Au revoir, Gopher
07-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I was planning on trying this one this week...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe/index.html

ARG

Redfrog
07-28-2013, 07:27 PM
I just leave out the garlic, ginger and chili flakes. I sometimes use honey or maple syrup near the end of the process.
I also don't use the paper bags.
|I'd love to get out there fishing, but when I aske one of my friends to pay for my trip, they act like they don't know me.:) What's up with that?

I may be making a run to B.C. end of August for a load of sockeye. I think it's supposed to be a good year.

Drewski Canuck
07-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Oh, that's what you are asking!!!! I was going to say that the only cure for smoking salmon is more smoking salmon. I'm a bit of an addict, and haven't hit rock bottom yet.

Drewski

I can say no to fishing anytime I want. I just choose to not say it.

huntin'fool
07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I've tried many, but this is the only one I use anymore. You will not be disappointed
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0