PDA

View Full Version : Do you shoot your bow in your backyard ?

north american hunter
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Do you shoot your bow in your back yard in city/ urban areas ?

sharpstick
07-28-2013, 09:46 PM
i do but im on an acerage now. I've also shot into the garage at my targets from out on the driveway to get a further distance.

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2013, 10:24 PM
I used to until I had an equipment malfunction (release let go) and sent an arrow astray through my shed and through the plywood behind it and into the fence that is divides my yard from the neighbour behind me....things you do not want to happen can happen.

Now I practice in the basement at 10 yards or at the range....if I was to ever send an arrow that hit someone else I would be extremely upset with myself.

Shooting in a basement is more contained than shooting outside.

LC

savagewsm
07-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I can get 30 yards if I go kitty corner. When I draw I always point the arrow to the ground in case something lets go and shoot at a target sitting on the ground.

This lets me shoot daily as going to the range can be a PITA sometimes. Hopefully some day I can move out of the city and set up my own 3D range.

gube
07-29-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm on 80 acres so I have both. Archery and gun range. My gun range is good out to 700 yards.

stickflicker
07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
I shot a lot in my backyard at my last house with a few deflection incidents, you shoot enough arrows and something will eventually go wrong. Now I shoot into my garage from the driveway once in a while but not in the backyard. Must be cause I'm not twenty something anymore lol.

Nait Hadya
07-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Not since they changed the bylaw. However I think it should be challenged.

bukwild
07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Not in my yard but I shoot 10 yds all winter long in my basement. I also live close to the Henday so sometimes I shoot at one of the eixts off to the side, never had any problems with LEO's passing by.

Knotter
07-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Basement for release and draw technique (longbow/recurve. I shoot along the side of the house at a range of 20 yards or less. Never had an arrow get away on me.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm on 80 acres so I have both. Archery and gun range. My gun range is good out to 700 yards.

:D I am fourtunate to have an indoor and out range, plus gun range 30 yards from my home...rural thou..

One would take a risk in a city enviroment with bows todays...

Some genius was shooting on the roof of a high rise a couple years ago right in New York..an arrow got away from him and it shish kabobed some poor unexpecting lady walking down the street...

Use caution for sure
Neil

Tabers Best
07-29-2013, 01:59 PM
I do , I do

Zuludog
07-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Not in my yard but I shoot 11 yds in my basement. I would worry about the potential for an accident in the yard, especially since both neighbors have kids.

calgarychef
07-29-2013, 02:56 PM
I shoot in my back yard, but I have a unique set up and shoot against a brick wall with a big fence on top of it. I also get along we'll with the neighbours.

Big Sky
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't risk shooting in my yard. I do shoot in the basement....better than nothing.

ULTRAlite
07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Don't shoot in the yard anymore - in the basement, yes. My ex was hit by an arrow that got away from a backyard archer when she was a teenager. Went through two yards before skewering her right calf. Could have been alot worse... Won't risk it anymore when I don't know what / who are behind my target.

Refrmek
08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
In the basement like most others, too much risk in the yard

FallAirFever
08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Not in my back yard but it sure is tempting, no fence on either side. I get along with my neighbours and we all live on pie lots. So I could shot out to 80 yards, but we all have kids so its too risky. But i have shot it the garage, 8 yards, can get out to 20 if I open the door and shoot from the sidewalk into my garage but I have only done that a couple times.

pseelk
08-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Shooting a bow in Red Deer carries the same penalty as discharging a firearm.

Nait Hadya
08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Shooting a bow in Red Deer carries the same penalty as discharging a firearm.

Yep,250 -2500. The bylaw was the only mistake Morris made as mayor of Red Deer.

Public safety huh, yet the city allows, actually encourages, drunk people to drive vehicles and launch projectiles at one another, it's ok though they make money from it....hahaha

Marko
08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Public safety huh, yet the city allows, actually encourages, drunk people to drive vehicles and launch projectiles at one another, it's ok though they make money from it....hahaha

Could you clarify more? Encourages drunk driving?:thinking-006:

Nait Hadya
08-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Could you clarify more? Encourages drunk driving?:thinking-006:

Golf....

Marko
08-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Lol oh. Thanks

Nait Hadya
08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes, there was a certain level of sarcasm in that post.

The city of red deer redefined the definition of a firearm, essentially saying that anything that causes a projectile to travel at a speed that can cause harm is a firearm. A tennis racquet, a golf club, a hockey stick, a baseball bat.

When speed is under 500 FPS, what does the Canadian Criminal Code define them as?

happy honker
08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
In my garage....reinforced with particle board and layers of cardboard and foam...behind a 6x6 target. I'm only shooting at 5 yds, but it goes a long way to helping with consistency with my draw and muscle memory.
Not to mention it's an awesome way to spend some time.

I've had an arrow go astray in practice before, (in the bush) and after that experience there is no way I would shoot in my backyard in an urban area.
When that arrow took off, it went no where near where I was aiming, and was a real eye opener.