PDA

View Full Version : ranchers

rsm
07-29-2013, 06:57 PM
here is my question !!
fishing a river enter river at bridge rancher has electric wire strung down to river and across river is this permitted ??? just a question

Redfrog
07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
here is my question !!
fishing a river enter river at bridge rancher has electric wire strung down to river and across river is this permitted ??? just a question

Well if it's in Calgary, there's probably a bylaw against it. :thinking-006:

Wonder why he would do that?/ Weird, unless it has something to do with his cattle out there everyday. NAAAAH. It's probably his attempt to screw things up for the guy in the canoe who comes down the river every two years and floats his canoe in the same water the rancher uses to water his cow.:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
what the hell are cows doing in the river?

it's like we are still living in the middle ages

Redfrog
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
what the hell are cows doing in the river?

it's like we are still living in the middle ages

Cows in the river???? Are you talking about the ones that were stranded in the flood. Maybe they are flyfishing. Maybe just moooooving through the area.

It's not like they were washing their ATVs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

cowboyhunter
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Beautiful!!!!

jaystev
07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
are you sure its a river not a smaller stream /trib? I know they can do that if its leased land but not sure about crossing water. I know as long as you are in the water or on bank below high water mark there isnt much they could do to stop you from fishing there. just dont disturb the fence and you shouldnt have problem.

Ultimate Predator
07-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Cows pollute r waters and graze the grass down to nothing no wonder theres no antelope worthless beast shoot them all to bad they taste so good

rsm
07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
are you sure its a river not a smaller stream /trib? I know they can do that if its leased land but not sure about crossing water. I know as long as you are in the water or on bank below high water mark there isnt much they could do to stop you from fishing there. just dont disturb the fence and you shouldnt have problem.

it is the battle river east of wainwright just wondering if it is allowed was going to do a trip down the river it would suck to run into a wire across it even worse it is live

Hooker
07-29-2013, 09:47 PM
The Navigable Waters Act (Federal Statute) used to have a section in it that prohibited anyone from blocking access across any navigable waters. The problem is try and find someone to enforce it.

rsm
07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
dad had the rancher come by and said hope you don't scare the cattle !! the cows were in the river !! thought they had to keep them out

hillbillyreefer
07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Cows pollute r waters and graze the grass down to nothing no wonder theres no antelope worthless beast shoot them all to bad they taste so good

Reeaaaally. Got anything to back that BS up with?

Northwinds
07-29-2013, 11:04 PM
The reason why it's done that is that a river does not run straight nor does it know where the quarter lines are.If you have a pasture quarter with a river running through it,in order to utilize both sides ,the river is fenced at both ends and the cattle are free to cross any where they would like.It's a lot easier to run a single strand of smooth wire with juice than it is to put a 4 wire barb wire fence across.Cattle have great respect for a hotwire as they ground well standing in the water,so do humans LOL
A hot wire also deters people from destroying a crossing fence as well

hillbillyreefer
07-29-2013, 11:05 PM
dad had the rancher come by and said hope you don't scare the cattle !! the cows were in the river !! thought they had to keep them out

Nahhh ranchers just like to destroy every resource they can. After all there are no benefits to them having a clean environment.

That is SARCASIM in case you hadn't figured that out.

Northwinds
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM

And the buffalo didn't????????What part of the city are you from???????
I would much rather drink water downstream from a cattle crossing than from a city that dumps it's treated sewage in the river.!!!

hillbillyreefer
07-29-2013, 11:13 PM
And the buffalo didn't????????What part of the city are you from???????
I would much rather drink water downstream from a cattle crossing than from a city that dumps it's treated sewage in the river.!!!

Some citiots don't understand where their turds go.

fish gunner
07-29-2013, 11:13 PM

I can confirm cows taste good , not elk good imo. The rest is hear say.

rsm
07-30-2013, 06:44 AM

bs why dont you come down here and i will show ya !!!!!!!! i am asking a question to see if this allowed !!!!!! i would hate to run into this wire with my boy or daughter in the front of canoe !!!!!

hillbillyreefer
07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
bs why dont you come down here and i will show ya !!!!!!!! i am asking a question to see if this allowed !!!!!! i would hate to run into this wire with my boy or daughter in the front of canoe !!!!!

I was talking to the ultimate predator.

It could be dangerous. You know about the hazard just negotiate under it and carry on your way. Or talk to the rancher, rat him out to SRD, or call the Feds. Your choice.

Wild&Free
07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
The Navigable Waters Act (Federal Statute) used to have a section in it that prohibited anyone from blocking access across any navigable waters. The problem is try and find someone to enforce it.

That act was recently gutted by one of the recent conservative omnibus bills. I

I believe (from talks with my ex who was a cattle rancher) that the law was changed (in BC at least) so that new pastures could not go to the waters edge and cattle had to be kept away. However if you had a pasture along a water way you were grandfathered in and did not have to fence off the waterway.

ksmitty
07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
If you are in a canoe just lift the wire and go under you won't get shocked

Labguy
07-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Em_oops2:cut the wire wrap it up and go string it out in his crop at nite in canola works great should see it fly into the combine,if you want grab some extra at coop and let them really enjoy the wire,do it early, just after spray time , that way the crops grow up threw the wire and hides it just like the person who started the hole show :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:bettcha he or she wont be to happy about wire where it should not be.. many people get hurt by wire across streams and trails even maintained roads. I farm and have great respect for wire, comes down to people to have the brains to use the tool properlly:acigar::cheers:

Northwinds
07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
If you are in a canoe just lift the wire and go under you won't get shocked

Don't be surprised when you grab that wire in a canoe and get fried!!! Think about it,the canoe is usually wet,the paddle is wet.and your hands are wet, your feet are wet.Let me know when your are headed down the river,I like to watch hehehehe!New fencers can power up to 100 km's now days,a far cry from days gone past.

huntsfurfish
07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Shouldn't have wire across a river

rsm
07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for info i put a request on ask a srd officer on this page see if i get a reply

dodgeboy1979
07-30-2013, 02:01 PM
totally against the nav waters act, cut the wire, the cattle have no place that close to the river anyways, if they get water for the cattle from the river then they should be looking at a pump and trough system.

hillbillyreefer
07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
There are no requirements to fence cattle or urbanites away from waterways in AB.

http://srd.alberta.ca/LandsForests/Shorelands/ApprovalsRegulatoryRequirement

Em_oops2:cut the wire wrap it up and go string it out in his crop at nite in canola works great should see it fly into the combine,if you want grab some extra at coop and let them really enjoy the wire,do it early, just after spray time , that way the crops grow up threw the wire and hides it just like the person who started the hole show :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:bettcha he or she wont be to happy about wire where it should not be.. many people get hurt by wire across streams and trails even maintained roads. I farm and have great respect for wire, comes down to people to have the brains to use the tool properlly:acigar::cheers:

Really? A producer counseling someone to commit a criminal act against another producer?

ÜberFly
07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Your link doesn't work!!

There are no requirements to fence cattle or urbanites away from waterways in AB.

http://srd.alberta.ca/LandsForests/Shorelands/ApprovalsRegulatoryRequirement

Really? A producer counseling someone to commit a criminal act against another producer?

Labguy
07-30-2013, 04:35 PM
when you see a male or female with scars from the corner of their mouth to ear, ask them how much counseling, they needed after surgery , as your comment of counseling " absolute garbage my friend " only my opinion freedom of speech . don't like it don't read it, superhero's the world is full of em...:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sleep-038:really, to cool:sHa_sarcasticlol:

fargineyesore
07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
here is my question !!
Its totally illegal. Tell the local Public Lands Officer and ask them to have it removed. This is the Battle River? People probably sled on it in the winter too. Its totally dangerous and should be removed and the guy that put it up warned with legal action if he does it again.