PDA

View Full Version : Small game tips.

north american hunter
07-30-2013, 08:04 PM
I just bought some carbon express shockers for rabbits and gophers, scent shot anything with them yet, I was thinking of getting the g5 small game tips, but I heard the shockers were actually better, on my target the shoot pretty darn good. How do they work on rabbits and small game ? Does anyone have experience with them ?

Thanks

Lefty-Canuck
07-30-2013, 08:17 PM
I use judo points on small game, they are a 4 pronged weighted point like the shockers, great on grouse and gophers.

The prongs are nice as they gather grass and sticks after the shot and it slows the arrow down, sometimes making them very easy to fond by causing them to stand up.

For things you want to eat like rabbits and grouse, shoot for the head. For things you don't want to eat like gophers shoot anywhere you like but I usually aim behind the shoulder forward to the head.

LC

north american hunter
07-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I use judo points on small game, they are a 4 pronged weighted point like the shockers, great on grouse and gophers.

The prongs are nice as they gather grass and sticks after the shot and it slows the arrow down, sometimes making them very easy to fond by causing them to stand up.

For things you want to eat like rabbits and grouse, shoot for the head. For things you don't want to eat like gophers shoot anywhere you like but I usually aim behind the shoulder forward to the head.

LC

This may sound stupid but, is the prong supposed to spin ?

Lefty-Canuck
07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
This may sound stupid but, is the prong supposed to spin ?

There are free spinning on the head yes, but they will only spin as much as the arrows helical vanes (if your vanes are helical) when you shoot them......they do not spin as they are shot anymore than the arrow itself spins.

LC

north american hunter
07-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Okay, I was just wondering because one of the prongs looked loose to me, because it span when I wasn't shooting

schian
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I just read something about some guys sticking a washer in behind their field points and using that for small game.
has anyone else ever tried that?
definitely a cheap alternative.
would probably at a bit of weight but might not make too much difference at 20 yards.

Schian

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-31-2013, 11:41 AM
:D back in the day before we could get store bought small game heads were would file down a bent tip two blade broadhead to almost half, or did the washer trick with a field point or blunt, a blunt then was a field tip filed flat so there was no tip.

The washer was even more deadly when filed into star shapes, then the judo point came along, havent found anything as good to date,

The G5 SGH is deadly but skips too far and is brittle, if a rock is hit it will most likely break off a blade, making it unshootable, also expensive,

tried many bt always go back to the judo...taken everything from gopher to Coyote with them, effectivly...they are devistating to small game...

bonus is they dont skip half as much as others and are easy to find most times, when we hunt elk we shoot all the way back to camp at noon, which is five or more miles sometimes, we take turns and pick a spot at any given yardage up to 150 yards and leap frog like that all the way back to camp...havent lost or broken one yet.

JMHO
Neil