PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Allows Crossbows/Muzzleloaders in Archery Only Season

HunterDave
07-30-2013, 10:52 PM
For anyone planning to hunt the Primitive Weapons Season in Nova Scotia this Fall, the Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) have allowed for the use of crossbows this season. They claim that approach will enhance "the range of hunting experiences" and "Because hunter success is relatively low with these weapons, this can be accomplished without negatively impacting deer population level."

Question 1: Why were changes made to the Deer Hunting Regulations?

Answer: Crossbow hunters have been requesting their own deer hunting season, comparable to that of bowhunters, for several years. Rather than creating a new season outside of existing seasons, or reallocating time from those seasons to crossbow-only hunting, we opted to simplify by combining bows, crossbows and muzzle-loaded firearms under a single new licence (the Archery and Muzzleloader Deer Hunting Licence). Taking this approach also enhanced the range of hunting experiences available in Nova Scotia by creating a new licence with a separate bag limit and a longer hunting period, specifically for those opting to hunt with primitive weapons. Because hunter success is relatively low with these weapons, this can be accomplished without negatively impacting deer population level.

http://novascotia.ca/natr/hunt/regulations/2013DeerHuntingChanges.asp#seven

grinr
07-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Answer: Crossbow hunters have been requesting their own deer hunting season, comparable to that of bowhunters, for several years. Rather than creating a new season outside of existing seasons, or reallocating time from those seasons to crossbow-only hunting, we opted to simplify by combining bows, crossbows and muzzle-loaded firearms under a single new licence (the Archery and Muzzleloader Deer Hunting Licence). Taking this approach also enhanced the range of hunting experiences available in Nova Scotia by creating a new licence with a separate bag limit and a longer hunting period, specifically for those opting to hunt with primitive weapons. Because hunter success is relatively low with these weapons, this can be accomplished without negatively impacting deer population level.

This^^ is complete and total BS!!:angry3:

The TRUTH is ALOT more shady,corrupt,underhanded,and has nothing to do with the province of NS graciously offering extended hunting opps,but rather everything to do with a very small (but powerful/connected)special interest group with a very real vested interest in crossbow sales.

Sorry,don't have the time nor energy to explain right now....ask me tommorrow.
Suffice it to say that the quoted statement^^ REEKS!!:sick:

pikergolf
07-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Got tired of picking at fly fishermen and need a new sport? :)

Mulemadness
07-31-2013, 07:25 AM
For anyone planning to hunt the Primitive Weapons Season in Nova Scotia this Fall, the Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) have allowed for the use of crossbows this season. They claim that approach will enhance "the range of hunting experiences" and "Because hunter success is relatively low with these weapons, this can be accomplished without negatively impacting deer population level."

Sorry to hear that...........it will be a bad day in Alberta when they allow crossbows if ever.

Stinky Buffalo
07-31-2013, 07:51 AM
:party0052:

jval
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Should be able to use a crossbow during the general open season for firearms. See how many people put down their rifles and pick up a crossbow. If you need to use a crossbow beacuse of a medical condition that prevents you from using a bow, understandable. If your too lazy to practice with a stick and string but want the advantage of getting the extra season pound sand.

Lefty-Canuck
07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Should be able to use a crossbow during the general open season for firearms. See how many people put down their rifles and pick up a crossbow. If you need to use a crossbow beacuse of a medical condition that prevents you from using a bow, understandable. If your too lazy to practice with a stick and string but want the advantage of getting the extra season pound sand.

Already can use a cross bow during general season in Alberta.

LC

Dakota369
07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Should be interesting as to how it affects wildlife populations. It's nice to see more options made avail to the horizontal archers!

:scared0018:

recce43
07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
bow season should be for long bow only ...

Buck~Knife
07-31-2013, 10:02 AM
oh geez ,where can a guy hang out and not meet up with grinr,lol howzit goin' bud?

The big thing is 2 deer per hunter this season if you buy the 2 seperate tags,well i don't know of anyplace that can handle 2 bucks being shot per hunter,because unless you apply and win a lottery doe tag for even more money,you have to shoot 2 bucks if you want 2 deer.

We already have every place around selling crossbows and muzzleloaders,its going to boost sales of products but at a huge expense to the deer population.

HunterDave
07-31-2013, 12:06 PM

It's not a bow season in Nova Scotia, it's a Primitive Weapons season. This year they are adding crossbow to the traditional bow and muzzleloader. To me it seems like a no brainer to include crossbows if you already allow muzzleloaders.

Pincherguy
07-31-2013, 12:18 PM
You will never see cross bows allowed in the archery season in Alberta. I sent an email to what's her flap, the minister. She said that there was a survey a few years ago, and the majority of hunters suggested they did not want crossbows allowed. She would not elaborate on the amount of replies or the number for and against. As to the poll we had on here a while ago I would imagine that it was fairly close. Then I was thinking, when did the powers that be ever listen to the common man? They do what they want, when they want. So relax my long bow friends ain't gonna happen.

jval
07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
pretty sure the post was about Nova Scotia not Alberta

calgarychef
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
I see no problem with NS having cross guns in their primitive weapons season simply because its not a bow season. They've lumped it in with the other "short range weapons". And it's NS not Alberta so has no bearing whatsoever on our seasons.

Buck~Knife
07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
It's not a bow season in Nova Scotia, it's a Primitive Weapons season. This year they are adding crossbow to the traditional bow and muzzleloader. To me it seems like a no brainer to include crossbows if you already allow muzzleloaders.

Actually,up until this year,it was a bow season,no other weapons were allowed except bows.If you wanted to use a crossbow it was in the general season,I you wanted to use a muzzleloader,that was also in the general season,which included the special muzzleloader season in the game sanctuary.

Also,you were only allowed one deer ,no matter what season or weapon it was one deer per hunter.This 2 deer season is jhust a MONEY GRAB,Nothing more.Our deer herds can't take that kind of pressure and come out thriving.

We never had a muzzleloader season by itself,they could always be used in the firearms season.

HunterDave
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
The big thing is 2 deer per hunter this season if you buy the 2 seperate tags,well i don't know of anyplace that can handle 2 bucks being shot per hunter,because unless you apply and win a lottery doe tag for even more money,you have to shoot 2 bucks if you want 2 deer.

A little off topic but I'd be curious as to what your opinion is on being able to take two bucks this year......one primitive weapons stamp and one rifle stamp. Taking into account success rates, etc......How do you think it will effect the deer population out there?

I have a buddy out there that's been fighting for Sunday hunting for awhile and I'm curious as to how your opinion compares with his.

EDIT.....Question answered in your above post. :)

HunterDave
07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Actually,up until this year,it was a bow season,no other weapons were allowed except bows.

WHAT!!!!! I was under the impression that muzzleloaders were already allowed during the Primitive Weapons season but BOTH Crossbows AND Muzzleloaders have been included into the Archery Only season?

THIS CHANGE IS HUGE!!!

EDIT..........With that news I had to change the title of the thread!!!!!

Now we have a discussion!

petew
07-31-2013, 03:00 PM
WHAT!!!!! I was under the impression that muzzleloaders were already allowed during the Primitive Weapons season but BOTH Crossbows AND Muzzleloaders have been included into the Archery Only season?

THIS CHANGE IS HUGE!!!

EDIT..........With that news I had to change the title of the thread!!!!!

Now we have a discussion!

Exactly. !! and if they think the modern inline is a short range primitive weapon they are in for a rude awakening. Those things are shooting much farther and more accurately than the old 30-30 Winchester ever could.
They get sold on the Idea of a muzzle loader as being a ball and cap or flinter with a practical range of 70 to a max 100 yards, then out come the modern front loaders that are not anything like a side lock in capability and range.
I am sure the NS bow hunters will love sitting behind a decoy now that the new rules are out and they need to worry about being shot form 200+yards away.

58thecat
07-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Its coming here too...broaden the experience of hunting:sHa_shakeshout:

Dakota369
07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Actually,up until this year,it was a bow season,no other weapons were allowed except bows.If you wanted to use a crossbow it was in the general season,I you wanted to use a muzzleloader,that was also in the general season,which included the special muzzleloader season in the game sanctuary.

Also,you were only allowed one deer ,no matter what season or weapon it was one deer per hunter.This 2 deer season is jhust a MONEY GRAB,Nothing more.Our deer herds can't take that kind of pressure and come out thriving.

We never had a muzzleloader season by itself,they could always be used in the firearms season.

Just curious, how heavy is the presure on the NS deer populations? I know that here the #'s of hunters is declining annually, but is there alot of hunters=pressure in NS?

Thanks

Pincherguy
07-31-2013, 03:31 PM
pretty sure the post was about Nova Scotia not Alberta

Pretty sure your right.:sign0161:

HunterDave
07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Just curious, how heavy is the presure on the NS deer populations? I know that here the #'s of hunters is declining annually, but is there alot of hunters=pressure in NS?

Thanks

I can't speak specifically from my own personal experience in NS but I have buddies that hunt there and I have hunted in NB. Put it this way, in Alberta the question is not whether or not you shot your deer it's how many deer did you shoot. Out east it's VERY common to hear people say that they got skunked or their hunting party of 5 only got one deer. They don't have the deer that we have in Alberta or at least they seem to hide better. My guess would be that we have a much high population of deer per km in Alberta. Hunters per km I have no idea.

Buck~Knife
07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
The pressure on the bucks is extremely high with only a small number of doe tags available by draw,if you are not drawn its buck only,numbers are down in most places,the deer are low in the big woods where deer used to live,but huge in towns and neighborhoods with small patches of cover,the buck/doe ratio in my area is way off.This year will surely put a hurt on the bucks.

The thing is i pretty much bowhunt,and if i don't get a chance at a certain buck ,i'll wait,sometimes that means waiting until the rut kicks in ,that is when the general season is.In order for me to shoot a deer with my bow in the general season,i will need the general season tag,...before the changes i coukld buy my bowstamp and hunt right til the end of firearms season with just the one tag.Now it will cost double for my one deer.

let it fly
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Wow, sad day for NS, deer numbers were dismal on the northern end of the provience, and are just starting to come back. Will they be allowed 2 as well on cape Brenton island, or is it just the main land?What a farce you have to buy two different stamps to hunt both archery and general with a bow. DNR really have they're head screwed on straight this time. Good luck this season BK and the rest of your crew.

Jon. Aka skipper from nsh

338Bluff
07-31-2013, 11:11 PM
:party0052:

HoytAlpha35
07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Friend owns a shop out there and he has been selling a ton of crossbows

HunterDave
08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Friend owns a shop out there and he has been selling a ton of crossbows

That's odd? I would have thought that there'd be a rush to buy muzzleloaders by anyone trying to put meat in the freezer. That'd be my first choice if I was hunting out east.

HoytAlpha35
08-01-2013, 03:55 AM
That's odd? I would have thought that there'd be a rush to buy muzzleloaders by anyone trying to put meat in the freezer. That'd be my first choice if I was hunting out east.

I was under the impression talking to him that they had just expanded the crossbow season, he never mentioned anything about the muzzleloaders

Buck~Knife
08-01-2013, 04:25 AM
Hi Jon,how have ya been ,never see you on nsh anymore?This year is going to definately effect the deer population,for the first 2 weeks of bow season you are allowed to use a bow only,after the first 2 weeks,it will be bow,x-bow ,and muzzleloader.I agree that the modern muzzleloaders are almost just as good as a centerfire rifle.There has been a lot of muzzloaders ordered at some gun shops,Many folks are still not aware of the changes ,or have only heard rumors so they are reluctant to buy anything yet.

I don't think this was though out very well by DNR,Since 1994 it was a buck only deer hunt,then they introduced the doe draw and made it a lottery system ,and now here we are after 18 years or so of mostly hunting bucks,they go ahead and make it a 2 possible bucks by one hunter kind of deal.

If we have a really cold winter with lots of snow,the deer herd is going to be in trouble.

Ultimate Predator
08-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Bad news for bow hunters hope they keep that rule waaaayyy out east pick up a bow and practice!

Dakota369
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Bad news for bow hunters hope they keep that rule waaaayyy out east pick up a bow and practice!

They will just have to learn to share now won't they.

:budo:

petew
08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
They will just have to learn to share now won't they.

:budo:

No, they will have to learn to play lottery and eat beef.

58thecat
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM

They have an archery season for cows in NS? The draw is a lottery?

HunterDave
08-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't think this was thought out very well by DNR,Since 1994 it was a buck only deer hunt,then they introduced the doe draw and made it a lottery system ,and now here we are after 18 years or so of mostly hunting bucks,they go ahead and make it a 2 possible bucks by one hunter kind of deal.

There's a lot of controversy about this years hunt in NS, and rightfully so, that's for sure. I'm sure though that DNR feels that the deer population in NS is healthy enough to sustain the hunting pressure otherwise they wouldn't have gone ahead with it. Rather than look at past policies I think that it'd be worth looking at how the deer populations have increased/decreased over the 18 year period of time that you mentioned. Maybe DNR feels that there are too many deer right now or too few hunters and there is a requirement to thin the herd. Alberta brought in the 2 doe supplemental tags specifically for that reason. Lots of things come into play.....ie No Sunday hunting in NS = Less time to fill your stamp for a lot of hunters.

Regardless, I hope that it works out well for you. :)

HunterDave
08-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Filling your tag in NS is a lot harder than filling it in AB so I'm sure that many hunters there won't have to learn how to eat beef vs vension.

Guntash
08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
they attempted to allow muzzleloaders and crossbows in the Edmonton bowzone about 5 years back i believe. Lets just say it got shot down pretty quick...

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
:D I remember in one state in the US when this happened...people died...

A couple of bow hunters on foot got shidh-ks-bobed... then they dropped it in archery season to their own season...

but its the chits to be one of the one's that the rules get changed for

Neil

58thecat
08-02-2013, 01:32 PM

and recurves....

petew
08-02-2013, 02:00 PM
and recurves....

I hunt with both Longbow and recurves, and even self bows, but there is lots of room for the Compound guys in archery season.
It is becoming a problem with technology advances , and soon it will eliminate the Bow season all together. When bows are shooting farther than I will with a Flinter, something has to give. We are already seeing the results of technology cutting into the seasons with the general tags we had for Bow season being switched to Draws . Next all will be a draw.
Perhaps a new definition of primitive is in order ? When 100 yard bow kills and 250-300 yard Muzzle loader kills becoming more frequent primitive is not primitive any more.

Buck~Knife
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I agree .I would have like to see a seperate tag for crossbows and a season of their own.Muzzleloaders could of had a season as well,just buy the muzzleloader tag and create a seperate season.Putting modern muzzleloaders and crossbows into the bow season was a mistake that i think we will learn a valuable lesson from.I do think that anyone who is legitmately disabled should have special exemptions for using the xbow in bow season,but why put a xbow with a scope on the same page as a hand drawn bow?