PDA

View Full Version : Second deep cell hook up?

Lornce
07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
I've added a second deep cell in the boat, right now I am swapping terminals when the battery runs down (12 volt line), are most of you out there keeping them isolated with a switch or hooking them up in parallel? Just curious at the options. By the way I installed a Intelligent Technology Series On-Board 3 battery charger from Bass Pro. One plug in and it charges all three, loving it. Have to go look for a downrigger for my Okanagan trip.

Walleye1114
07-31-2013, 08:12 AM
I run a Lund pro v with three battieries, one for starting and the other two for acc. those two are in parallel, works great for how I am using them

Kurt505
07-31-2013, 08:19 AM
I run a Lund pro v with three battieries, one for starting and the other two for acc. those two are in parallel, works great for how I am using them

I'm using the exact same set up. Works great. Only thing I would add is an on board charger for the acc. batteries, especially if you have them tucked away in a not so easy to get to spot.

Walleye1114
07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Yes the on board charger for sure, I have one for all three batteries, saves a lot of hassels

Lornce
07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Curious where you guys are getting the 2 "jumper", just Canadian Tire parts and what gauge wire?

yetiseeker
07-31-2013, 09:05 AM
The "jumper" cable is a standard battery cable from Can Tire. Hook it up so it is a 24 volt system - in other words, from your trolling motor, hook the positive connector to the positive post on one battery, and the negative feed from your trolling motor to the negative post on the other battery, then hook up the "jumper" cable from the negative post on the first battery, to the positive post on the second cable. IOW, you will have the positive feeding in to one battery, and the negative from the other battery feeding back to the trolling motor, with the jumper connecting the system through the opposite posts you have feeding to your trolling motor. You will hook up your charger to the same posts you have fed to your trolling motor.

EZM
07-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Curious where you guys are getting the 2 "jumper", just Canadian Tire parts and what gauge wire?

Canuck rubber has them for sure - I'd get the fattest one they have maybe 6 or 8AWG or even 4 if they have it.

Thicker wire creates zero issues - it's when you wire and terminals are too small is when the fun begins. Bring marshmallows if you use anything less than 10 AWG.

Lornce
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks eveyone.

huntsfurfish
07-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Walmart also has jumpers.

EZM
07-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Walmart also has jumpers.

and ............. Walmart has more strange people to watch too ......

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

lol

Lornce
07-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I........ think I''ll stick with Canadian tire.

huntsfurfish
07-31-2013, 06:56 PM
and ............. Walmart has more strange people to watch too ......

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

lol

That's why I go there.

Wait a minute, I wondered why people were watching me:thinking-006:

lol