PDA

View Full Version : Arrow selection help

caljouw2003
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
I am looking to buy a new set of arrows, and I am not sure what I need to get. My current arrows are cut to 25" and I have my bow set at a 63 pound draw to acheive 5 grains per pound of draw (as the manual recomends). Now I would like to go up to a 70 pound draw but I can not find an arrow that has a high enough GPI (cut at 25") to get to 350 grains including a 100 grain field tip/broad head. I guess my question is does the recomended 5 grains per pound matter?, Also any advice in this area would be awesome.

Thank you.

Lefty-Canuck
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Hunting or target use?

LC

caljouw2003
07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Hunting or target use?

LC

Hunting
I will be going to BC for a moose hunt in October, and I want a faster heavier arrow then I am currently shooting. Right now I am at 315 grains and 280 FPS, I would like to be around 350-360 grains at 300+ FPS to take a shot at a moose. I think that extra 7 pounds will get me there I just need a to find an arrow that will put me at the weight I need. It would just make me feel a little more comfortable.

Buckhunter,1
07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
look into gold tip pro hunters i use them personally and i put one threw a black bear this spring season and I got a complete pass threw and a perfect arrow , if you want custom fletched and cut arrows check out www.mountian archery.com and look into gold tip pro hunters 7595 i think they will be the right shaft for your set up. THT LINK DONT SEEM TO GO TO THE RIGHT SITE SO JUST GOOGLE THEM IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT

caljouw2003
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
look into gold tip pro hunters i use them personally and i put one threw a black bear this spring season and I got a complete pass threw and a perfect arrow , if you want custom fletched and cut arrows check out www.mountian archery.com and look into gold tip pro hunters 7595 i think they will be the right shaft for your set up. THT LINK DONT SEEM TO GO TO THE RIGHT SITE SO JUST GOOGLE THEM IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT

Thank you, will look into it.

Lefty-Canuck
07-31-2013, 10:54 PM
I am curious what bow you are shooting?

With my Bowtech D350 I am shooting a 385gr arrow cut to 28 inches, with a 28 inch draw length, bow is at 62lbs and arrow is chronying at 293fps.

I use the gold tip Hunter XT arrows.

Personally I don't think I would hunt at 5 gr /lb.....I would want to have the KE value higher than I can achieve at standard IBO conditions.

LC

Riverbc
07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
If you are cutting them down to 25 inches go with the Gold Tip Expedition Hunters 7595. With a 100 gr head and blazer vanes, your set up would weigh 363 grains and a FOC of 11.5 %.
The XT Hunters and Expedition Hunters are the same arrow, but, the XT Hunter's have a straightness of +/- .002 and the Expeditions are +/- .006, but if you are cutting the arrow down to 25 inches, the straightness factor begins to balance out. So save yourself some money, and go with the Expedition Hunters.

HoytAlpha35
08-01-2013, 12:01 AM
that short of an arrow he should be good with a 400 spined arrow, if your on the edge always go with a heavier spine they'll tune better. To get the weight look at a the Kinetic or FMJ. A 400 kinetic at 9.5gpi will get you to close to a 400 grain arrow. Plus smaller diameter arrow.

Riverbc
08-01-2013, 12:05 AM
that short of an arrow he should be good with a 400 spined arrow, if your on the edge always go with a heavier spine they'll tune better. To get the weight look at a the Kinetic or FMJ. A 400 kinetic at 9.5gpi will get you to close to a 400 grain arrow. Plus smaller diameter arrow.

Yes...you're right...cut that short it should be stiff enough with a 5575.

caljouw2003
08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I am curious what bow you are shooting?

With my Bowtech D350 I am shooting a 385gr arrow cut to 28 inches, with a 28 inch draw length, bow is at 62lbs and arrow is chronying at 293fps.

I use the gold tip Hunter XT arrows.

Personally I don't think I would hunt at 5 gr /lb.....I would want to have the KE value higher than I can achieve at standard IBO conditions.

LC

I am shooting a hoyt charger (first bow, and first hunting season with a bow) at a 26'' draw. I would like to be above 5 grains per pound I just need to find the right arrow set up to get me there. After reading all the responses I think I am going to going with Gold Tip Arrow, still undecided as to which ones.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-01-2013, 09:38 AM
:D i would never go below the 5 Grs recommended...its like a dryfire reaction on your bow ...very hard on it...it will be faster but noisy and dangerous in a sence...at 26 inch draw ..you can add an inch to your arrow @ 26-27 and gain some weight...take your arrow to at least front of riser...even 1" past riser is not a hinderance and in your case a huge asset..

The heaviier the arrow the quiter the bow...a lot less hard on the bow and better penertraion on animal...

63 lbs BTW will take a moose down just fine placed in the proper place...

Neil

Riverbc
08-01-2013, 09:39 AM
the Gold Tip Pro Hunter, XT Hunter, and Expedition Hunter are all the same arrow. When carbon arrows are made, conditions such as humidity at the time play a part on the straightness of the arrow. This is known as the +/- .00$ factor. The Pro is +/-001, the XT is +/-.003, and the Expedition is +/-.006. Just remember you are cutting the shafts down to 25 inches, so the straightness factor isn't as important for you as a long draw shooter. I shoot a 26 1/2 inch arrow, and can put 5 arrows in a Tim Horton's coffee lid at 50 yards, no issues. That's with the Expedition Hunters. Plenty straight enough for me, and less expensive as well.
Here's a good read;
http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_2.htm

Lefty-Canuck
08-01-2013, 10:10 AM
I am shooting a hoyt charger (first bow, and first hunting season with a bow) at a 26'' draw. I would like to be above 5 grains per pound I just need to find the right arrow set up to get me there. After reading all the responses I think I am going to going with Gold Tip Arrow, still undecided as to which ones.

Good bow! The 26 inch draw length is likely what you will fight when trying to achieve faster speeds. IMHO like has been suggested at 63lbs shoot an arrow that is 350-390 grains for hunting, will still give you decent speeds and KE need to make a clean kill.

Speed isn't everything (although it is nice to have), especially for hunting. Quietness and proficient accuracy trump speed all day any day.

LC

caljouw2003
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Good bow! The 26 inch draw length is likely what you will fight when trying to achieve faster speeds. IMHO like has been suggested at 63lbs shoot an arrow that is 350-390 grains for hunting, will still give you decent speeds and KE need to make a clean kill.

Speed isn't everything (although it is nice to have), especially for hunting. Quietness and proficient accuracy trump speed all day any day.

LC

Thank you for all your advice Lefty. I will take it, and I am going to leave my draw weight alone and go with a heavier arrows. I might go to 65-66 pounds, not 70 I will see what the chrono says. I dont want to be to slow I would like to stay around 280 FPS.

HoytAlpha35
08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Thank you for all your advice Lefty. I will take it, and I am going to leave my draw weight alone and go with a heavier arrows. I might go to 65-66 pounds, not 70 I will see what the chrono says. I dont want to be to slow I would like to stay around 280 FPS.

I doubt your gonna stay in the 280 range with your short draw 26" draw, 65lbs, and a bow IBO speed of 325. Play around with the Calculator below it will give you some idea of where you'll be at

www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

Riverbc
08-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I doubt your gonna stay in the 280 range with your short draw 26" draw, 65lbs, and a bow IBO speed of 325. Play around with the Calculator below it will give you some idea of where you'll be at

agreed...I was checking that earlier. Would have to be a arrow weighing 315 grains which is below the minimum required of 325 grains.

caljouw2003
08-02-2013, 07:09 AM

Thank you will do.
Here are the arrows I went with I built them on gold tips site then rebuilt and ordered them from Mountain Archery ($30.00 less). Again I thank all of you for your help, I am still learning.

https://www.buildyourownarrow.com/arrow-review.html

Riverbc
08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
the session has expired.

caljouw2003
08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Who knew they expired, here it is
XT Hunter black 5575/400
cut to 26''
Shaft weight 213.2 gr
2'' Bohning Blazer (15.6 gr)
Standard nock (11.5 gr)