PDA

View Full Version : Bow River NW Calgary

Sakoman
08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Looking for info on Fly fishing the Bow in NW Calgary. Any help would be appeciated. I have fished the Bow south of Calgary with limited success. I prefer fishing in Kananaskis but since having kids getting time away is getting harder and harder. So the closer to home the better. I do not plan on floating the river just picking a spot and fishing.

Thanks.

Kingfisher
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
There are lots of access points along the Bow in the NW.

You can park at Bearspaw dam site and hike from the parking area over to the river. There is lots of access up and downstream from there.

Bowness park has a parking lot at the far west end. You can wade out there and get yourself some casting room.

Edworthy Park also has some good access on either side of the pedestrian bridge. Dry flies often work in that area. Evenings are a good time to fish that area as there are lots of swimmers along that area durring the hot days. You also have to watch out for the bikini hatches durring the hot summer days. Down from Edworthy on the north side of the river is lots of parking area's that you can park along the road and access the river on that side.

There is access for parking under the Crowchild bridge. I have fished right under the bridge. I also like hiking upstream from that point.

Downstream a bit you can go onto Princess Island Park and you can fish the river all along the island.

Hope this helps.
Rob

BigA
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
... Evenings are a good time to fish that area as there are lots of swimmers along that area durring the hot days. You also have to watch out for the bikini hatches durring the hot summer days...

I want to go fishing when one of those hatch's happen. lol!! What type of fly do you think I should use to match it? ;-)

Hunter Trav
08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I want to go fishing when one of those hatch's happen. lol!! What type of fly do you think I should use to match it? ;-)

To hell with the fly's, just hang'er out and troll...:D

BigA
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM

lmao!!!!

dodger
08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
On the West side of the 10st bridge there are some nice little runs that have nice aggresive Browns in them. I use to live a few blocks from there and late in the evening the Browns move in tight to the North shore and were crazy aggressive. The nice thing is you can fish all night due to all the lights. My fly of choice was sinking a hopper with a small split shot.
My $0.02 worth, Dodger.

2430M
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D