PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Near Red Deer Alberta

Sheepriverrules
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
It's me sheepriverules. I am staying at my grandparents (Antler Hill Elk Ranch) just outside of Innisfail. Me, my dad and grandad are search for some local knowledge on some good places that have public access, and some good fishing. I don't have any restrictions on species of fish,

Much appreciated,

Sheepriverrules

Hunterofbeasts
08-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Plenty of good fishing around Red Deer. There is Dickson trout pond about 25 mins west of Innisfail. Stocked with Rainbow. Do you have a boat or shore fishing? Spin or Fly? Theres lots of Pike, Walleye, Rainbow spots all around depending on how you're fishing

Sheepriverrules
08-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I have fly rod and plenty of flies, also have a spin caster, will be stuck to shore and dock fishing though.

boroumand8
08-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Red deer river is just west of innisfail, good fishing there

bwackwabbit
08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Red deer river is just west of innisfail, good fishing there

Any good fishing by the HWY 54 bridge by Innisfail? I drive by all the time but never see anyone fishing near there.

Sheepriverrules
08-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Headed out to bower ponds today did a couple casts, the pond didn't look to promising so me and my dad went to look at the river which was so shallow both of us could have walked across it easily. We then tried to head out to pine lake, there was only one public access place and we talked to guy who was there all day, said that there was to many boats and didn't catch a thing, we search the next hour for another spot but nothing was public, so no fish sadly.

Isopod
08-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Bwackwabbit, there used to be a fantastic hole at the Hwy 54 bridge west of Innisfail, but the floods in 2005 made access very difficult and pretty much filled in the entire hole. Not sure if this year's floods would have changed things, the Red Deer didn't get the intense flows they got further south.

mikefromcanmore
08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Try fishing @ Hertiage Ranch small stocked pound,also stocked is Dickson Dam pound and Hanson's off of 11 south on 766
For Bower Pounds has not been stock since 2005 flooding brought Pike and small Walleye into it.Fshing the Red Deer try the boat launchs at Bower Pounds(straight ahead to the day use picnic area) or down stream of Taylor Drive river crossing.Deep waters, Goldeye, Walleye and Brown Trout.Small spinners 1/4 oz 5 of diamonds yellow and red/black works very well.As well as drifting with flys.
You can now access the Red Deer to the QE 2@ crossing via the Oriole Park West Trail system. Parking is off Orr Drive/Kerry Wood drive a set of stairs /veiw point has been built about 5 years ago.Also the developer had to rock wall the cliffs on the Red Deer river allowing easier access to a set of deep pools @ the base of the cliff face.The trail also goes west to under the bridge of the QE2.Good fishing but loud road noise,

ramonmark
08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Red deer river has great fihing from the dam all the way down to the innisfail bridge. Start at the dam and work you way down. if your going to be in the water and fly fishing I usually get some one to drop me off on a range road just off hwy 54 (range road 20-25ish), huff it in by foot and walker up towards the damn. Caught MANY browns in the 3-4 pound range.

boroumand8
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Any good fishing by the HWY 54 bridge by Innisfail? I drive by all the time but never see anyone fishing near there.

Try the bridge by penhold

scel
08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Red deer river has great fihing from the dam all the way down to the innisfail bridge. Start at the dam and work you way down. if your going to be in the water and fly fishing I usually get some one to drop me off on a range road just off hwy 54 (range road 20-25ish), huff it in by foot and walker up towards the damn. Caught MANY browns in the 3-4 pound range.

Totally.

I find that the RDR is a spiritual mate of the Sheep. The fishing is not as consistent as the Bow, but when it is on...it is super.

Start at the Dam and work your way down OR hwy 54 and work your way up. Small sjw and size 16ish nymphs will produce whitefish and the odd brown. Some people do not like catching whitefish. I grew up catching them in the Red Deer area, so I get the same glee that I did when I was a kid. At dusk, if you are lucky, the browns trout action will start---when conditions are right, they are not afraid to feed on the surface. Caddis in August produces well. Streamers *can* be productive---you may also pick up the odd pike. Personally, I have caught browns in the 22-24" range on size 16 hare's ear.

Goldeye starts being productive around Innisfail and is good all the way down the river. Personally, I have never caught a goldeye upstream of Red Deer city, but others swear it is productive.

Sheepriverrules
08-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Thank for the tips everyone, sadly I only got out the one time but I will be sure to try all these spots next time, you can continue to share your knowledge if you like,

Thanks,

Sheepriverrules