PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Archery Only Draws

BTAssassin
08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I am reading the July Issue of AO mag and on page 60/61 they mention a possible Archery only draws coming in 2014 for the majority of species. Does anyone have any more info on this? Do you think this will create more opportunities for archers to get them out of the gun pools? What is your general thought on this?

ishootbambi
08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I applaud the idea. hopefully it comes to fruition.

Ultimate Predator
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree good idea as long as we can keep those damn crossbows out of it!

sheepguide
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Don't have the article but would you be able to then put in for both rifle and archery for the same species?

BTAssassin
08-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Don't have the article but would you be able to then put in for both rifle and archery for the same species?

Not according to the article, One or the other. Antelope they say might be going to the same thing as well. I think this will clear the archery seasons up, I'd wager if most guys have to wait x amount of years for a tag they'll want a gun instead of a bow.

1ruger
08-03-2013, 05:59 PM
in some zones a draw would be a good idea but where there is plenty of game I personally don't see the point and cross bow does not concern one bit. distance,clear shot,wind,noise and movement all plays into either cross bow or long bow. and for the record I shot pse evo dream season and love it.

mike.t
08-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Not according to the article, One or the other. Antelope they say might be going to the same thing as well. I think this will clear the archery seasons up, I'd wager if most guys have to wait x amount of years for a tag they'll want a gun instead of a bow.

I'd have to agree with you Assassin, bow hunting is hard enough if you make people choose between either bow or rifle for a certain species, 9 times out 10 people will choose rifle for the more "certain" way of tagging out

mike.t
08-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Definitely will be interesting to see how this plays out tho..

BTAssassin
08-03-2013, 07:34 PM
in some zones a draw would be a good idea but where there is plenty of game I personally don't see the point and cross bow does not concern one bit. distance,clear shot,wind,noise and movement all plays into either cross bow or long bow. and for the record I shot pse evo dream season and love it.

It would only be areas where there is already a draw in place.

hal53
08-03-2013, 07:39 PM
I applaud the idea. hopefully it comes to fruition.

I do as well, problem we have here is an exploding population of people, and a declining resource, SRD has no clue or money to manage it, until they get the nads to tell APOS to take a hike, until the herds are recovering, and they revamp that draw system to 3 applications per person per year (one guy here applied for 18 draws???!!!). We will soon be like some of the states with a 3 day deer season, and a 2 pointer being a trophy.....BTW, I saw a deer today!!!!!!..yee haw, no fawn with her, but.....

petew
08-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Remember when draws were for an authorization to take a cow or doe,with a general tag. General tags were available for moose and Elk everywhere, archery and rifle?
Special licenses were for Antelope, and Wainright and a couple others. Guides were local people that knew the local areas and the animals in there,and outfitters were not the Big Business they are now..
Back then I am told we had a lot more hunters,taking more game . Now we have declining numbers of hunters, most things are a draw or soon will be, animal populations are down all over. Somehow with the changes in the past 20 years that were to make things better everything is going to ****.
I recall seeing herds of over 200 mule deer around Youngstown, a normal fall day was seeing several hundred deer , and a good antelope hunt would be seeing a few hundred a day.

H380
08-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Remember when draws were for an authorization to take a cow or doe,with a general tag. General tags were available for moose and Elk everywhere, archery and rifle?
Special licenses were for Antelope, and Wainright and a couple others. Guides were local people that knew the local areas and the animals in there,and outfitters were not the Big Business they are now..
Back then I am told we had a lot more hunters,taking more game . Now we have declining numbers of hunters, most things are a draw or soon will be, animal populations are down all over. Somehow with the changes in the past 20 years that were to make things better everything is going to ****.
I recall seeing herds of over 200 mule deer around Youngstown, a normal fall day was seeing several hundred deer , and a good antelope hunt would be seeing a few hundred a day.

I'm afraid those days are gone my friend . Like em or not draws are here to stay and may be the only hope for some species , thanx to a combination of mismanagement and Mother Nature getting in her 2 cents worth .

pottymouth
08-03-2013, 11:41 PM

The aba sold out on the archery muley draws, only to have other associations back them on this in 2014. You'll only get to put in for one or the other, not both like the antelope draw.

This terrible news for hunting segregation. Bowhunters will once again get to hunt every year or second at the most. While I don't like what I'm seeing, it is going to be sweet justice against all the morons who wanted draws for archery hunters.

While it will benefit me, I for one don't like what's coming. The old system will prove , somethings are better left unchanged...

338Bluff
08-05-2013, 03:30 PM
The aba sold out on the archery muley draws, only to have other associations back them on this in 2014. You'll only get to put in for one or the other, not both like the antelope draw.

This terrible news for hunting segregation. Bowhunters will once again get to hunt every year or second at the most. While I don't like what I'm seeing, it is going to be sweet justice against all the morons who wanted draws for archery hunters.

While it will benefit me, I for one don't like what's coming. The old system will prove , somethings are better left unchanged...

X2 Couldn't have said it better myself. Only I don't think the ABA really sold out...more or less they just got told. Your lobby power only goes so far when you represent a small percentage of the hunting population. If the writing is on the wall you have to negotiate the best you can. They will still get my membership renewal.

jorge997
08-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Would it not be easier to just make a few more archery only zones

Elkaholic523
08-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I like the archery tags can't wait

wctbowtech
08-07-2013, 06:24 AM

Potty I believe you are wrong about the ABA selling out the Muley Draws. The ABA was presented with information (as where all groups at the AGMAG meetings), we tried to find more answers in the data presented and in the end yes we could not qualify better results. Ultimately all users of the recources have to be responsible and from this data archers where harvesting more deer than their allotted share (piece of the pie).

As far as the suggestion of draws for archery tags, SRD is stating that the vast majority of calls, emails and letters they are receiving are that most do not want this draw regime. SRD is leaning at not having archery draws, so if archers want to get back their share of the resource we all need to all email, call and send letters in otherwise it won't happen. SRD also feels that this would create more work for the already overworked Bio's.

Deer Hunter
08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
First off the archery harvest data that ESRD used is suspect and is easy to blow holes in...

Secondly, ESRD screwed the resident hunters by reducing resident opportunity as a priority. The archery draw was based on looking at only the archery resident hunter harvest percentages being in excess of 15% of the total resident harvest. The 2009-2011 years were noted.

ESRD didnt include landowner harvest or outfitter harvest in the total harvest, even though it is impactful to the 15% overall harvest.

Thirdly, ESRD cant even get outfitter allocations settled, or impose the indicated 10% limit on landowner tags yet are quick to ram rod the archery mule deer through. Patting them selves on the back...success!!

What role did the ABA or AFGA have in this? They enabled it.

Did the ABA and AFGA endorse or promote it? Do they still?

Are memberships in these groups a good use of my money?

kody7
12-23-2013, 10:05 PM
I'd have to agree with you Assassin, bow hunting is hard enough if you make people choose between either bow or rifle for a certain species, 9 times out 10 people will choose rifle for the more "certain" way of tagging out

I agree!!! In many zones a guy is waiting 4 years to get drawn for a mulie buck. I think the draw will just push Alberta hunters to different areas and make hunting a cash grab instead of the wilderness experience it should be.

Maybe we should restrict non resident hunters like they do in Saskatchewan. It sucks but atleast Alberta residents will be able to make to most of their WMUs.

IR_mike
12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I agree!!! In many zones a guy is waiting 4 years to get drawn for a mulie buck. I think the draw will just push Alberta hunters to different areas and make hunting a cash grab instead of the wilderness experience it should be.

Maybe we should restrict non resident hunters like they do in Saskatchewan. It sucks but atleast Alberta residents will be able to make to most of their WMUs.

Winner!!

Residency should mean living here as well.

I know a fair number of people that work here but live out of province that hunt every year in Alberta.

58thecat
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree good idea as long as we can keep those damn crossbows out of it!

Did you say crossbow? Not Xgun? Go to a draw and let the crossbows in too than we will see who sticks to a bow and doesn't only hunt with a rifle. The times are a changing...:scared:

Lefty-Canuck
12-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Winner!!

I know a fair number of people that work here but live out of province that hunt every year in Alberta.

Myself and others have been saying this for a long time....to be a resident of Alberta currently you really just need a mailing address, there are no benchmarks or minimum waiting times.

Many people are "dual residents"....Alberta and some other province and take the benefits of both places.

LC

Lefty-Canuck
12-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Did you say crossbow? Not Xgun? Go to a draw and let the crossbows in too than we will see who sticks to a bow and doesn't only hunt with a rifle. The times are a changing...:scared:

As long as I can pull my compound back...I will not make the switch to a xbow. BUT if an injury or disability causes me to be unable then I will see if I could get the appropriate permits...but only come that time.

LC

bhguy
12-27-2013, 11:10 AM
As long as I can pull my compound back...I will not make the switch to a xbow. BUT if an injury or disability causes me to be unable then I will see if I could get the appropriate permits...but only come that time.

LC

keep the xbows out except for the disabled^^^^^^^^^

J D
12-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Shot a crossbow well healing from an injury and went back to a bow as soon as my body allowed it.

In my opinion if you take the time to learn how to shoot a bow properly it has more benefits than a crossbow.

Yes, bows and crossbows have similarities but in the end they are completely different.

58thecat
12-27-2013, 11:59 AM

LC

Aging are we Lefty? I stirred the Pot and I apologize just I could not resist the "dig" as I know how sensitive the crossbow is with our archery community. I am in the same boat you are, stay strong and I too will stick to my compound bow.

Back to the thread maybe a draw system might replenish all our game all across Alberta but that is only a small piece of the pie to successful game management and I know people on this forum could give a million great ideas just got to win over the game management government experts who only go outside to get to their cars!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

walking buffalo
12-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Potty I believe you are wrong about the ABA selling out the Muley Draws. The ABA was presented with information (as where all groups at the AGMAG meetings), we tried to find more answers in the data presented and in the end yes we could not qualify better results. Ultimately all users of the recources have to be responsible and from this data archers where harvesting more deer than their allotted share (piece of the pie).

As far as the suggestion of draws for archery tags, SRD is stating that the vast majority of calls, emails and letters they are receiving are that most do not want this draw regime. SRD is leaning at not having archery draws, so if archers want to get back their share of the resource we all need to all email, call and send letters in otherwise it won't happen. SRD also feels that this would create more work for the already overworked Bio's.

Are you suggesting that the ABA executive did not want an Archery Draw season for Mule Deer?

I have the impression that the ABA executive desired to have these seasons placed into the draw system followed by the ABA's Archery Draw regime resolution to have exclusive draw codes for archery and general weapon seasons where hunters must choose one or the other.

And the kicker....
The ABA president recently told me that in his opinion, "there are too many bowhunters".

Adding one plus one, I can only conclude that the ABA executive has chosen the path to go with SRD's flow to institute more Archery draw seasons and segregate these seasons in a fashion that will exclude many of those hunters who use both a bow and rifle.

------
To update this thread, there are NO new Archery Antlered Mule deer seasons proposed for 2014. Discussions are in progress regarding Archery Only draw codes beginning in 2015.

rednk
12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
The big advantage to a cross bow is you don't have to draw. 9 times out of 10 a bow hunter gets busted trying to draw his bow.

Cross bow needs to remain only for the disabled.

Deer Hunter
12-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I have the impression that the ABA executive desired to have these seasons placed into the draw system followed by the ABA's Archery Draw regime resolution to have exclusive draw codes for archery and general weapon seasons where hunters must choose one or the other.

And the kicker....
The ABA president recently told me that in his opinion, "there are too many bowhunters".

Nothing surprises me anymore in this province. Change is slowly coming to these entrenched groups representing us hunters, but I fear it could be too late.

Keep up the fight walking buffalo, I appreciate the time and passion you put in. Even if I don't agree with all of it. Many thanks once again!

Tabers Best
12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Interesting thought. Why would the ABA have lobbied for a longer season in recent years if they knew we were already close to or exceding 15% ?

If it goes seperate draws with only applying for one then I want to be able to hunt from September first in the south all the way till the end of rifle season with my bow.

Deer Hunter
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Interesting thought. Why would the ABA have lobbied for a longer season in recent years if they knew we were already close to or exceding 15% ?

If it goes seperate draws with only applying for one then I want to be able to hunt from September first in the south all the way till the end of rifle season with my bow.

Exceeding 15% was a bs excuse used to limit resident bowhunting opportunity while allowing outfitters less early season trophy hunting competition. It had nothing to do with harvest as antlerless harvest/tags were unaffected by a draw.

The numbers presented by srd showing 15% archery harvest were garbage. They didn't include outfitter or landowner harvest which are significant in the denominator.

This was one of the largest injustices ever perpetrated on the resident hunters in this province.... So far.

And the ABA didn't even question the false numbers. Whether they want everything on draw or not doesn't matter. These groups at the Agmag need to go through the numbers, as they are the only people that are able to comment.

Brutal!

thrude1
12-28-2013, 09:34 PM
until someone else other than APOS get the backing of the provincial policy makers into their back pockets,we the average Albertans will have to be happy with whatever APOS leaves behind for us to argue over. its time for riflemen, archers and yes even the much maligned( not a bow;-)) cross-bowhunters to band TOGETHER with a common voice to secure out hunting opportunities now and for our future generations of resident hunters. Write your mla, minister of enviro and minister of justice if you want change

ab_bighorn
12-28-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm very disappointed in the muley draw. My son turned 12 this season, and we were looking forward to heading afield together like we've done for years before he could hunt. This year, we were forced to focus on high-pressure areas in 212 and limited opportunities for WT and elk in other WMUs where I've cultivated permission for 25 years. I really can't see why any archery only draw wasn't tried before bow hunters were lumped together with rifle hunters (yes I do both). In zones where a muley buck tag takes 6+ years to draw with a rifle, it would have been nice. Despite what others believe, I've seem more mule deer taken on open day for rifle than any other day or season with a bow. Bowhunters can and are successful, but let's not dismiss the number of rifle hunters that fill their tags.

Tabers Best
12-28-2013, 09:56 PM
It is like they made it an rifle only season in many zones this year.

This should have been stated a year ago so archers had some sort of option.

ab_bighorn
12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Agreed. I would have started applying 5 years ago for my son and I to hunt together with our bows. Sure, I take some deer, but let's face it; anything I shoot with a bow a rifle hunter could take with no problem. Putting everyone in the same bucket is ridiculous. I love to hunt with a rifle and do so every year, but I only pull the trigger about once in 3 or 4 years. My choice, but since most of us don't really need the meat, I think we should consider what opportunities exist for every hunter and our kids.

diamond k
12-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Winner!!

Agree 100%

walking buffalo
12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
It is like they made it an rifle only season in many zones this year.

This should have been stated a year ago so archers had some sort of option.

The combined draw is intended to be for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons only. This was decided as the draw system is being contracted out to a new provider starting in 2015/16.

As I mentioned earlier, the ABA is lobbying for a separate Archery Draw Code and season to start in 2015. This will help satisfy the ABA executive's desire to reduce the number of bowhunters.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
12-30-2013, 01:14 PM
:D I would agree 100% if the draw was archery only on the draws we have to put in now and compete against overwhelming amounts of rifle hunters for the same tag...

However if that means we cant get elk or mule deer across the counter in what we have left for muley already without a draw.... than that sucks....big time..

JMHO
Neil

bearbait
12-30-2013, 01:23 PM
why would you say the aba wants to limit bow hunting opportunity? the fact is there are way more bow hunters out there these days and the success rates are up.. you can say what you want but with 2 month seasons there is a lot of time to tag out.
what they should try is a 2-3 week season like it is in some zones. that will take the success rates down.

as for the cross bow argument just have a seprate season after bow for cross bows. same idea make it a 2 week season.. then everyone is happy. (well heres wishing everyones happy)

the aba is out to support the bow hunters. its sad that we bash our organization like this.
JMO
Rob

walking buffalo
12-30-2013, 02:09 PM
why would you say the aba wants to limit bow hunting opportunity? the fact is there are way more bow hunters out there these days and the success rates are up.. you can say what you want but with 2 month seasons there is a lot of time to tag out.
what they should try is a 2-3 week season like it is in some zones. that will take the success rates down.

as for the cross bow argument just have a seprate season after bow for cross bows. same idea make it a 2 week season.. then everyone is happy. (well heres wishing everyones happy)

the aba is out to support the bow hunters. its sad that we bash our organization like this.
JMO
Rob

Assuming this is directed to me. I didn't say that the ABA exec. wants to limit bowhunting opportunity rather that I have the impression that the ABA exec would like to have fewer bowhunters competing for the 15% allocation.

Below is part of my previous post which includes a quote right from the ABA president.
His comment left me almost speechless, which is a good thing when talking to Brent. :lol:

-----------
"I have the impression that the ABA executive desired to have these seasons placed into the draw system followed by the ABA's Archery Draw regime resolution to have exclusive draw codes for archery and general weapon seasons where hunters must choose one or the other.

And the kicker....

Adding one plus one, I can only conclude that the ABA executive has chosen the path to go with SRD's flow to institute more Archery draw seasons and segregate these seasons in a fashion that will exclude many of those hunters who use both a bow and rifle."
--------------

I want to make this clear. Brent is veraciously passionate about hunting and is one of the most open individuals that attends the AGMAG meetings. His dedication and effort to improve hunting in Alberta while including and informing the public is exceptional. Above all, I strongly commend his willingness to discuss matters even when differing opinions surface. I know that Brent keeps an eye on this forum and will respond here if he desires.

bearbait
12-30-2013, 03:33 PM
I think that Brent was referring to success rates but I wasen't there. The fact is the reason we lost opportunity is there are alot more bow hunters out there. So im thinking that's what Brent was referring to. In My opinion the zones that went draw are mostly the long archery season zones so they should have just cut the season down!

Deer Hunter
12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
There a lot more hunters out there regardless of whether they bowhunt or rifle hunt.

I believe that the increases in the number of bowhunters is a direct result of rifle hunters wanting to spend more time in the field & lengthening rile draw wait times. I also believe that the ABA executive is mostly made of hunters that do not rifle hunt.

What percentage of bow hunters also rifle hunt? What percentage of the ABA membership rifle hunt?
This group that do both, I believe, is not being represented and the proof is in the current situation with archery antlered mule deer on draw in some wmus.

It plays into the long range plan for the ABA, providing better, exclusive archery, opportunity. At the sacrifice of guys who enjoy both.

Harvest data, 15% policy is all a bunch of bull****. We all know how well srd follows policy when it comes to past 10% MAXIMUM outfitter allocations.

338Bluff
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
There a lot more hunters out there regardless of whether they bowhunt or rifle hunt.

I believe that the increases in the number of bowhunters is a direct result of rifle hunters wanting to spend more time in the field & lengthening rile draw wait times. I also believe that the ABA executive is mostly made of hunters that do not rifle hunt.

What percentage of bow hunters also rifle hunt? What percentage of the ABA membership rifle hunt?
This group that do both, I believe, is not being represented and the proof is in the current situation with archery antlered mule deer on draw in some wmus.

It plays into the long range plan for the ABA, providing better, exclusive archery, opportunity. At the sacrifice of guys who enjoy both.

Harvest data, 15% policy is all a bunch of bull****. We all know how well srd follows policy when it comes to past 10% MAXIMUM outfitter allocations.

Actually you are pretty much off base. The membership would pretty much be a hodge podge of everything you have mentioned (purists, traditionals, and guys that just like to get out).

They are the only voice of the bowhunter because somewhere along the way a group of guys decided to make a commitment to the sport and gave their time to something that made a difference for hunting in this province. I'm bowhunter and am not above picking up the rifle every once and awhile. I do prefer to use a bow.

As I sit here thinking about the ABA members I know, admittedly, there are a few die hards. However, many of them will pick up a rifle or muzzleloader once and awhile. The archery draw will get the archers out of the general draw pool and into their own.

Hunters need to pick their weapon and when their season is over it's time to step aside an let the next guy have his turn. If the ABA is proposing an archery only draw I back them 100%. The idea of giving a guy a draw and then letting him have two seasons (90+ days) to fill it is not going to increase the opportunity you are constantly (irritatingly) espousing. An archery and a rifle draw is going to be more tags and more opportunity.

It really doesn't matter what the executive's preference is. They are elected to represent and from what I can see so far they are representing the bowhunters fairly well.

Tabers Best
12-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Actually you are pretty much off base. The membership would pretty much be a hodge podge of everything you have mentioned (purists, traditionals, and guys that just like to get out).

They are the only voice of the bowhunter because somewhere along the way a group of guys decided to make a commitment to the sport and gave their time to something that made a difference for hunting in this province. I'm bowhunter and am not above picking up the rifle every once and awhile. I do prefer to use a bow.

As I sit here thinking about the ABA members I know, admittedly, there are a few die hards. However, many of them will pick up a rifle or muzzleloader once and awhile. The archery draw will get the archers out of the general draw pool and into their own.

Hunters need to pick their weapon and when their season is over it's time to step aside an let the next guy have his turn. If the ABA is proposing an archery only draw I back them 100%. The idea of giving a guy a draw and then letting him have two seasons (90+ days) to fill it is
not going to increase the opportunity you are constantly (irritatingly) espousing. An archery and a rifle draw is going to be more tags and more opportunity.

It really doesn't matter what the executive's preference is. They are elected to represent and from what I can see so far they are representing the bowhunters fairly well.

You seem up on things. So i will pose my question to you. Why would we have pushed for a longer season two years ago, if we knew we were in jeapordy of losing the general tag?

Why would we not have had a seperate archery draw in 2013. Instead of just making it a rifle only draw. I also looked and rifle draws were increased from 2012. In some zones by 250%.

I thank you in advance.

Deer Hunter
12-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Actually you are pretty much off base...
If you say so.
Hunters need to pick their weapon and when their season is over it's time to step aside an let the next guy have his turn....
Is this what the ABA says or is this your opinion? Is this truly what it is coming to?

If the ABA is proposing an archery only draw I back them 100%.... The idea of giving a guy a draw and then letting him have two seasons (90+ days) to fill it is not going to increase the opportunity you are constantly (irritatingly) espousing....
I'm irritated you better believe it. Pretty soon me and future generations will be sitting at home with the reduction of resident... wait for it.... opportunity:mad0100:

An archery and a rifle draw is going to be more tags and more opportunity.

Not when compared to the way it was in previous years prior to the archery antlered mule deer draw. There was nothing wrong with the way it was until someone at SRD put together a bunch of bogus harvest numbers and no AGMAG group bothered to question them

I am member. But you probably already knew that.

Edit:
Attached is the ESRD proposal with harvest numbers in table 3 that are really hard to get your head around.

walking buffalo
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
I think that Brent was referring to success rates but I wasen't there. The fact is the reason we lost opportunity is there are alot more bow hunters out there. So im thinking that's what Brent was referring to. In My opinion the zones that went draw are mostly the long archery season zones so they should have just cut the season down!

The comment was not referring to success rates. Brent's comment to me was direct, that in his opinion there are too many bow hunters now. In addition, Brent explained that he feels there will be no opportunity to have the bow hunting 15% allocation increased, thus there is a need to find other ways for bow hunters to have regular access to sought after tags. Put this statement in conjunction with the ABA's proposed Archery draw regime, I can only interpret this to mean the ABA is looking for ways to reduce the number of bow hunters.

It would be great to have Brent correct my conclusion if it is wrong.

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2013, 07:50 AM
I am member. But you probably already knew that.

Edit:
Attached is the ESRD proposal with harvest numbers in table 3 that are really hard to get your head around.

I find it interesting that the document says the ABA does not support this change....

4. Anticipated Public Reaction:
This proposed change has undergone extensive provincial public consultation over the past two years. The issue has been raised by a variety of stakeholders and the Wildlife Management Branch first publically announced it would be examining this issue at the 2011 AFGA Conference. Since that conference, this issue has been discussed provincially with stakeholders at the Alberta Game Management Advisory Group (AGMAG). Support for this recommended change has not been unanimous. Primarily, the Alberta Bowhunters Association (ABA) does not support this recommended change.

waterfowler1969
12-31-2013, 05:43 PM
I find it interesting that the document says the ABA does not support this change....

4. Anticipated Public Reaction:
This proposed change has undergone extensive provincial public consultation over the past two years. The issue has been raised by a variety of stakeholders and the Wildlife Management Branch first publically announced it would be examining this issue at the 2011 AFGA Conference. Since that conference, this issue has been discussed provincially with stakeholders at the Alberta Game Management Advisory Group (AGMAG). Support for this recommended change has not been unanimous. Primarily, the Alberta Bowhunters Association (ABA) does not support this recommended change.

They are all for a separate archery draw not the 0% archery and 100% rifle tags that happened last year and will be the same this upcoming season. Cant wait to see all mule deer on draw across the board. Now we should eliminate all landowner tags and change non resident tags.