PDA

View Full Version : Trail camera thievery

whackem
08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Sooo I go out to my trail camera today to check out a nice bull moose I've been watching since may and what do I find!!!!!A trail camera that has been tampered with. They stole the card and left the camera on the tree hanging the wrong way. Unbelievable!!!!! why do people have to do these kinds of things. I mean we are all out there to do the same thing and that is to have fun at doing what we love to do. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Please share

The Bit Runner.
08-04-2013, 03:53 AM
You should feel lucky that you only lost your card.

H380
08-04-2013, 06:21 AM
You should feel lucky that you only lost your card.

x2.. many on here have lost cameras , stands , blinds etc / Why ? cause some low life has sticky fingers and no conscience . You may be surprised at who it is .. :thinking-006:

saskyangler
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
yup, i lost two cameras last year to thieves. i would have expected more comradery between fellow outdoorsman.

whackem
08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Yea I kinda hope for that special respect of the outdoors and of people's property is hunters and outdoorsman have but I guess only some of us have this.

338Bluff
08-05-2013, 03:27 PM
If you were on public land I will bet that it is more of a message than thievery....as in "this is my spot...take a hike".

Sad people have to act that way.

str8shooter
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Had 2 cameras out on private land. Went to check some pics today but one camera had been stolen. That's 2 cameras I've had stolen this year.
Unreal. I don't get it??

Stik'em
08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
The same ppl stealing cameras are the same ppl that drive on private property without permission, or poach. Ya there should be that unwritten rule about sportsmanship but some ppl probably harbour some sort of resentment that they should be the only one on that property or that's their honey hole.

My buddy and I went and checked our cameras on a property we had 5 we found 4 of them one was stolen (his) the other buddy had tried to chop it off the tree with an axe, we found the axe beside the tree with huge chips out of the head buddy got tired I assume not cutting through the cable.

Stik'em

TBark
08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Never lost one, but I have found a few, ha, kidding.
A short story.
We built trail cams for nearly 10 years.
Got a call about 2 yrs back from a fellow who needed a repair, I usually recognize the owners name, but not this time.
I asked when he bought it and he said he did not buy it, but he found it.
I had to ask my questions carefully at this point. I had his name and number by that point, and I proceeded to explain that finding one usually meant taking it.
He said he had been watching it on a fence post for months from a wellhead approach in an area where he worked.
From the area he was referring to, I put 2 & 2 together and the camera was one of the 6 we built for AFGA and the Antelope corridor fence project.
I told him who those cams belonged to and they would contact him to retrieve it.
I passed his contact info on the AFGA ad Kevin Wilson who confirmed a cam was missing.
I contacted Kevin again within the week and Kevin said the fellow had changed his story from what he had told me, found it in a different area, blah blah.
What some people will do to keep what doesn't belong to them.

TBark

Nelson
08-07-2013, 08:57 AM
The same people that will steal a trail cam will be the same ***** holes that will put up a tree stand 50 yards away from someone else.:mad0100:

Homesteader
08-07-2013, 09:34 AM
One option that I've been looking at is the Spypoint Tiny W2, I think it's called. It's basically a regular trail cam, with the addition of a remote card reader, that is pretty small, and has a range of something like 200', can't remember the exact number off the top of my head. The advantage is that is somebody pulls the card out of the cam, or takes the whole thing you've still got the secondary card, from the remote reader that's stashed.

The two downsides that I've read about are, lower battery life, and the remotes pics arent of the same resolution, but still good enough to identify the perp :)

Anyone running these puppies care to comment on them?

Marko
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
We lost 2 of the 3 we had up this spring, south of ft ass

keep6matt
08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Thieves suck!!! Now I am paranoid about my camera I have set out on private land with the owners permission. Hope its still there.

drake
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Sooo I go out to my trail camera today to check out a nice bull moose I've been watching since may and what do I find!!!!!A trail camera that has been tampered with. They stole the card and left the camera on the tree hanging the wrong way. Unbelievable!!!!! why do people have to do these kinds of things. I mean we are all out there to do the same thing and that is to have fun at doing what we love to do. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Please share

Maybe the guy didnt appreciate being photgraphed while out minding his own business.....i can relate.:scared0018:

thunder_sticks
08-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I have 5 quarters that I have posted signs and have a couple cameras up. I have phoned a few "neighbors" over the last 4 years, all deny the trespassing. Then I ask them if I can email, or snail mail them a photo of the guy I have photos of and ask for their help. Give them a week and call, the stories are quite amusing to hear as they mutter, stutter and backtrack.

It's a sad state of affairs when you almost need to put up a camera, to watch your trail camera. I have lost one camera and believe it or not over two dozen no hunting, no trespassing signs.....they just tear 'em down and drive right in. :angry3:

Sure ruins it for the other guys that phone me looking for permission to hunt the property.

SKSniper
08-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Maybe the guy didnt appreciate being photgraphed while out minding his own business.....i can relate.:scared0018:

Uh...it doesn't give someone the right to steal the camera...We get photographed every day while driving through intersections and walking down streets all while minding our own business. Ive found myself in front of a few peoples trail cams an I just continue on with whatever i'm doing, I didn't take the cameras to spite them.

HunterDave
08-07-2013, 04:29 PM
If you were on public land I will bet that it is more of a message than thievery....as in "this is my spot...take a hike".

That was my first thought otherwise the camera would have been taken.

pdfish
08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I put a treestand up south of stony plain two weeks ago on private land. Within a week it was gone along with all the steps. The next one is going to have a little surprise in it!

TreeGuy
08-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Having lost a cam myself, I can relate. With that being said, I'm looking at nice Moultrie here on my desk that has a cheap little plastic loop to put a light lock on at best. I think it's time as sportsmen to start calling out these manufactures for selling products that are often darn near impossible to protect from thieves. They all seem to be built in the same cheap manner. Very frustrating.

Gabriel S.
08-09-2013, 01:59 AM

Is it legal to shoot someone that steals your property? I mean you walk on the woods and you see they guy taking down your camera, is it legal to shoot him?
Or at least give a good beating?

The Bit Runner.
08-09-2013, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=Gabriel S.;2069944]Is it legal to shoot someone that steals your property? I mean you walk on the woods and you see they guy taking down your camera, is it legal to shoot him?
Or at least give a good beating?[/QUO

:party0052:

SKSniper
08-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Is it legal to shoot someone that steals your property? I mean you walk on the woods and you see they guy taking down your camera, is it legal to shoot him?
Or at least give a good beating?

If this were Somalia, i'm sure you'd get away with it. But no, it's very illegal to murder someone in Canada.

CLB
08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I would never think of stealing a trail cam I have found as there is no excuse for lowlife thievery but I do have problems with the use of trailcams by some people. I have seen and heard of this scenario many times. A guy doesn't use them and may have been hunting an area for years but as soon as a guy throws up a cam in the area they claim the area as theirs and anybody else in the area is a dick for being near their cams ( or cams and bait here in Sask), even though they have been hunting in the area for years before the guy with the cam showed up. Some guys like to hunt the old fashioned way and leave no trace of being there and should not have to give up their spot just because some guy decides to make his presence known and try to stake a claim with a camera. I realize not everybody who uses cams thinks this way but many do.

Lefty-Canuck
08-09-2013, 08:40 AM
I would never think of stealing a trail cam I have found as there is no excuse for lowlife thievery but I do have problems with the use of trailcams by some people. I have seen and heard of this scenario many times. A guy doesn't use them and may have been hunting an area for years but as soon as a guy throws up a cam in the area they claim the area as theirs and anybody else in the area is a dick for being near their cams ( or cams and bait here in Sask), even though they have been hunting in the area for years before the guy with the cam showed up. Some guys like to hunt the old fashioned way and leave no trace of being there and should not have to give up their spot just because some guy decides to make his presence known and try to stake a claim with a camera. I realize not everybody who uses cams thinks this way but many do.

X2.....

A trail cam does not equate to a reservation sign when placed on crown land.

That's why personally I only place trail cams on private lands, that I have close to exclusive access to.

LC

Gabriel S.
08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
If this were Somalia, i'm sure you'd get away with it. But no, it's very illegal to murder someone in Canada.

It doesn't have to be Somalia, I'm pretty sure you can shoot someone in Texas of they steal your property :)

Zuludog
08-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Or maybe they "fell" trying to climb up and steal your stand.:)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
:D two cameras per trail ..one to watch the critters and one to watch the camera....works good..

Neil

muzzy
08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
:D two cameras per trail ..one to watch the critters and one to watch the camera....works good..

Neil

Yup if you have $1500 to set up just 5 sites Shame it gets so expensive to "protect what is yours"

H380
08-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Went out to a new spot a month ago to put up a camera . While walking into the area I hear a camera click , about where I was gonna put mine . Just grinned and thought to myself , someone else beat me to it . Didn't bother looking for it and haven't been back . Too bad others can't do the same .

BuckCuller
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Sounds like if it was on private land buddy probably took the card because he wasn't suppose to be there. Trespasser!

whackem
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Sounds like if it was on private land buddy probably took the card because he wasn't suppose to be there. Trespasser!

I would never step foot on private land with out written permission. That's the way I have been raised and the way I will teach . I'm ethical and I believe if more people would be that way then we as hunters wouldn't have as much trouble with land owners.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Yup if you have $1500 to set up just 5 sites Shame it gets so expensive to "protect what is yours"

:D I agree....but at least you have at least a chance to retrive that $750.00 with revenge wheter its legal means or your own...

*Insert evil laugh smilly here...

Neil

abenaki-warrior
08-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Use the 500.00$ one from spypoint. The one that sends pics through cell card. And there is GPS chip to locate it when stolen.