PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake this past week

Pixel Shooter
08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
rarely post pics lol, so thought I would share a few from this past week. I was leaving as all the other AO members were showing up Friday, trying to stay away from the weekend crowd. Was looking for someone to go with , posted in the wanted fishing partner post and Model12 took me up on my offer. Son is turning 16 and its all about girls and skateboarding so looks like I lost my fishing partner for a bit :thinking-006:

we caught allot of lakers, avg was probably 7 lbs and averaged for time we spent in the water 2.5 fish per hour. Some dbl digits and lost a behemoth after 15 minutes of having me at a stand still straight up and down just sulking, couldn't budge him then the hook dislodged, I was sick and poor model12 had to hear about it for the rest of the day LOL!!! He has never lake trout fished and seemed to enoy himself. hopefully he chimes in, always two sides to a story as he sez :sHa_sarcasticlol:

got the bug after loosing that big one, hmm maybe try to get out again next week :D

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/151677615/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/151677658/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/151677664/medium.jpg

huntsfurfish
08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Some nice fish!

model12
08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Had a blast being introduced to lake trout fishing by Pixel Shooter, just an awesome trip, both the fishing and the company. When you spend over 28 hours on the water fishing together you get to know each other pretty good. Yes Pixel Shooter was depressed after losing the monster, but he had a big smile back on his face when he pulled in a 12 pounder a short time later.

As he said, he's got the bug and a trophy fish will eventually find his line...thanks again for a great trip. Also measure my experiences by entertainment value and this was off the charts...

saskpikeman
08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
good job guys, we found the lots of fish this last weekend about 6 per hour but not the size you guys had average for us was more like 5 lbs. Were you guys jigging or downrigging? seems to me jigging accounts for a better average size.

Pixel Shooter
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Nope all trolling, didn't jig once although tempted, the boats were nailing them left and right out in the mouth but all small size. If we wanted to catch smaller ones our fish per hour would have went up considerably. oh well it was still a great outing, one I hope to do again REAL SOON!!

Model12 dang near fell over to see your post, don't be shy , great to see you posting and thanks for the kind words! and your right, after 26 hours of being stuck in the boat together, you get to know a guy real good. your welcome to tag along anytime my friend! I will say however its weird having someone with the exact same first name chatting with each other, guess not use to talking to myself that much LOL!!!!!

good job guys, we found the lots of fish this last weekend about 6 per hour but not the size you guys had average for us was more like 5 lbs. Were you guys jigging or downrigging? seems to me jigging accounts for a better average size.

tight line
08-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Gotttta love Lakers!!! Nice pics!

justinO
08-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Awesome stuff buddy glad you had a great trip some nice slabs forsure. Too bad about the one that got away could have been a 40lber Atleast he's still there waiting for me :sHa_shakeshout:

Alberta Bigbore
08-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Nice fish!!!!!!!

whitetail Junkie
08-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Very nice looking Trout,congrats!

waterninja
08-06-2013, 12:57 AM
love how you put some extra effort in to catch some larger ones. congrats on the ones you caught and too bad about the big one who got away.
wouldun't be a proper trip if the "big one didn't get away" lol........oh well next time.

bwackwabbit
08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
The best part of trips like these are the monsters that get away, it's what keeps us coming back.

The schoolboy grins say it all, looks like a blast.
Good on ya boys!

buckbrushoutdoors
08-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Great pics and report!

keep6matt
08-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Awesome pics Pixel, I will be out there for Friday and Saturday this upcoming weekend. Hope to see you there.

Mike_W
08-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Awesome stuff buddy!!!!
Great report!!

EZM
08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
TrophyPikeHunter and I finished off the weekend pretty good as well considering we really don't know the lake all that well. On Monday morning, we got her all dialed in just in time to have to leave. I couldn't get my rigger down all the way the lakers were pounding my lure like crazy. The right color and lure/flasher combo was dynamite.

I was using a Lyman silver/pink 4" lure trailing behind a triple flasher - pink/silver/metallic.

I had one grab my lure off the release while I had the boat coasting (drifting) while Trophy was hauling up his ......... it was crazy. Our average size was closer to 7-8lbs but we caught nothing that would measure up but quite a few "just there" a few cm short in that 10lb range.

My side imaging (which was another piece of the puzzle we finally dialed in) was able to show me schools of fish out to my left (or right) 120 feet away. I would just make the turn and hit them dead on and drag my lure right through them.

Knowing the depth they are at, where they are schooling is solid gold. It took longer to stop the boat, reset the rigger after releasing a fish than it did to wait for one to bite!

It was pretty fun. We will be back with more tricks to play on them.

Watched these two older guys just pound them one after another jigging as well each time we trolled near them. Seemed to be a good day for everyone Monday morning.

Pixel Shooter
08-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Man I must have the bug, think Im going to head back out there again Sunday and get a few days in :D Still dreaming of that behemoth LOL!!!

AppleJax
08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Man I must have the bug, think Im going to head back out there again Sunday and get a few days in :D Still dreaming of that behemoth LOL!!!

They will haunt you forever lol! Looks like you had a great trip I have to hit up cold lake on open water!

rsako
08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi Folks,
Just wondering what jigs you boys and girls use in Cold Lake?
My first time here with my boy. I used to use white Bucktail jigs in The Pas MB.

any favs in Cold Lake?

Teamprotz
08-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Most use a big white tube jig with or without bait.