PDA

View Full Version : Time For a New Rod. Need Advice

OneGirlWolfPack
08-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Well the time has come to get a new rod (and reel). Mine is still usable but really old and worn down. I'm not looking for anything too fancy....probably in the $250-$300 price range. I fish quite often but I still have trouble feeling lighter bites with a stiff rod so I need something that's got some sensitivity to it. Man I can already see the jokes that are going to come from this. :p Any recommendations?

Also if anyone is willing to share any good places to shore fish near Banff I'd really appreciate it. I'm going there for a few days for my birthday and would really like to do some fishing in the area. :)

EZM
08-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Spinning rod or baitcaster? what's the primary purpose/application or is it "all purpose rod"?

at that price point you can get some very nice gear ........

St.Croix would be my first choice followed by Shimano for rods - at $100-$140 these are the best choices at that price point.

Abu Garcia and Shimano for reels at that same $ 100 - $ 140 price point are also excellent choices.

If you have a specific application - I can offer a little more specific advice and a opinion.

Gust
08-06-2013, 11:18 PM
You can actually get two pretty nice set-ups out of that price range, or at least one really nice set-up plus a nicer lower end rod for those knock about days. I'll make a list later as I just noticed the time and, well, that place called job.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Why not pick up 2 ones 2 reels for 300 bucks you could get yourself 2 decent rods and reels one lighter action rod for trout , walleye , the other for stuff like trolling , pike .

I'd suggest to you

Barkley lightning rod paired with a shamano solstice 1000 size or a Pflueger president in a 25 size reel .

Fenwick Canadian methods paired with a shamano solstice 4000 size reel .

OneGirlWolfPack
08-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Sorry for not being more specific guys. I'm looking for an all purpose spinning rod. I'm not out catching monsters...mostly just embarrassingly small walleyes, pike, and anything the river is kind enough to let me borrow for a picture. :D I've never bought a rod before so I figured it would be best to ask you guys first so I look a little less stupid when I walk into the store to buy one.

08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Sorry for not being more specific guys. I'm looking for an all purpose spinning rod. I'm not out catching monsters...mostly just embarrassingly small walleyes, pike, and anything the river is kind enough to let me borrow for a picture. :D I've never bought a rod before so I figured it would be best to ask you guys first so I look a little less stupid when I walk into the store to buy one.

Fare enough but I'd still buy two always nice to have a spare .

OneGirlWolfPack
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
That's not a bad idea at all. I never even considered getting two. So one would be a lighter, more sensitive rod and one designed for pike and larger fish? Pardon my ignorance. I'm still learning and figuring things out.

08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
That's not a bad idea at all. I never even considered getting two. So one would be a lighter, more sensitive rod and one designed for pike and larger fish? Pardon my ignorance. I'm still learning and figuring things out.

Barkley lightning rod paired with a shamano solstice 1000 size or a Pflueger president in a 25 size reel .would be good for anything from trout to the odd pike .

Fenwick Canadian methods paired with a shamano solstice 4000 size reel .i would use this for targeting pike there nice rods . My sister has them reels and she doesn't seem to hate them . But nearly as nice I use as a higher quality but your not going to be catching trout or walleye on it . Guess you could but not very sensitive . Then I'd get them spooled with braided line , then use a mono or flurp carbon leader , and a wire or fluro carbon leader on the pike rod .

KN12313
08-07-2013, 06:19 AM
My wife has bad arthirtis in her hands (considering complete knuckle replacement), so I bought a couple of G Loomis IMX medium power with a fast action, 7' rods. Even with the arthiritis she can feel the light bites. She has to move her hand position forward slightly so she can put her index finger on the rod blank. If you buy the IMX rod you won't be sorry.

Lund rebel
08-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Aug 21 wall to wall sale starts, I am also going to vote for g loomis although I have never used the other brands. I had bought a crank bait series rod but its a bait caster, so for smaller lures I ended up buying a g loomis walleye series spinning rod, what a difference for lite bites and feeling the bottom. I am waiting to buy a lite trout rod now. I am sure once you get over 100 ish most of the rods and quality would be very similar and comes down to personal preference.

WayneChristie
08-07-2013, 07:37 AM
If you prefer hunting for big ones, Id suggest getting one with a bit of stiffness and some backbone so it doesnt get broken during hard use. If you would rather chase little ones go for something fairly limber and sensitive so you can feel the nibbles easier. Oh, and we need an "innocent " icon really bad :bad_boys_20:

Geezle
08-07-2013, 08:37 AM
If you prefer hunting for big ones, Id suggest getting one with a bit of stiffness and some backbone so it doesnt get broken during hard use. If you would rather chase little ones go for something fairly limber and sensitive so you can feel the nibbles easier. Oh, and we need an "innocent " icon really bad :bad_boys_20:

http://www.madcastgaming.com/forum/images/smilies/angel.gif

Geezle
08-07-2013, 08:45 AM
If it were me I'd probably go with 2 different rigs...but then again, I like to have options ;)

For the lighter stuff I'd consider either a Shimano Voltaeus or Sellus in a Medium/fast, with a 2500 size Shimano Sahara.

For the bigger stuff (pike) look at the Fenwick HMX in a Medium-Heavy/fast, again with a 2500 Sahara for the reel.

But that's just me :)

Nova
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Another option is 2 decent rods and one good reel. The reels are easy to swap when needed.

Rod selection should come down to comfort IMO. Once you decide on length, action, and 1 or 2 piece, try holding everything that meets your criteria and the question should answer itself. I'm a big fan of the quantum smoke rods (should be around $100 on sale at Wholesale right now). Bought one last year and ended up with 2 more this year. I held every rod in Cabelas and Whokesale and the only rods I liked better than the smoke were $300+ . I've got both Pti-c and smoke reels, I prefer the pti out of the 2.

OneGirlWolfPack
08-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm not going to lie, this is overwhelming. I'm not sure if I'm gathering this right but it seems like what I'm looking at is either buying two really good rods or upping my price and getting both a really good rod and reel. Is that right? I think what I'll do is write down the specific recommendations from this thread and just go in and see which one fits me best. Lund, I can't believe that sale is starting the day after I need the rod. Haha! Come on! :p
KN12313, I am so sorry to hear your wife is going through that! I'm so impressed that she still gets out there and fishes even though I'm sure she's in pain. Thank you for your helpful advice. :)

pikeslayer22
08-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Wholesale sports has a 20% off sale going this week on fishing rods...have a look at their sponsor page

Geezle
08-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm not going to lie, this is overwhelming. I'm not sure if I'm gathering this right but it seems like what I'm looking at is either buying two really good rods or upping my price and getting both a really good rod and reel. Is that right? I think what I'll do is write down the specific recommendations from this thread and just go in and see which one fits me best. Lund, I can't believe that sale is starting the day after I need the rod. Haha! Come on! :p
KN12313, I am so sorry to hear your wife is going through that! I'm so impressed that she still gets out there and fishes even though I'm sure she's in pain. Thank you for your helpful advice. :)

Not quite. You'd be able to get the two rods/reels I suggested, which are pretty decent for right around your upper limit of $300 (probably a touch more :o) or you could go with a more expensive single rod/reel for that price as well.

Bobby B.
08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
This spring, I bought a dedicated walleye rod at TFH, it's a G. Loomis GL2 852-2S JWR Medium Fast 7’ 1” 1/8-3/8 oz 6-12 lb. Although I'm a 'born again' fisherman who hasn't fished much for the past 30-35 years, I'm impressed with the sensitivity of this rod. I can feel the walleye when they nibble at my bait.

Unfortunately, my BIL accidently broke my Fenwick trout rod this past weekend so yesterday I replaced it with another G.Loomis, a GL2 782-2S TJR 6’6’ Fast Action 4-8 lb 1/16-6/16 oz. This will be the rod my wife will use when she comes out walleye fishing with me.

From what I've heard from experienced fishermen, G. Loomis are great rods and well worth the $$$.

Bobby B.

ETOWNCANUCK
08-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Spent $ 100 on a Shimano Clarus paired with a $100 Quantum reel this year.
Still had the stiffness you want for pulling the fish in...yet sensitive enough to feel the bites.
The more guides on a rod the more sensitive that it will be.

Hooker
08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Go to Bass Pro or Cabela's. Both stores have knowledgeable staff who can help you. Tell them you are looking for two spinning rods, one medium action and one heavy action (pike). Give them the price range you are looking at (maximum) and they will point you at the right rods.

CamoHunter
08-08-2013, 04:16 PM
There is a nice quantum ts2 out right now. Anything Shimano or TFO is always nice as well. You could easily get a nice setup for the price that your looking at though I would look at a Pflueger or Shimano reel

BeeGuy
08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Well the time has come to get a new rod (and reel). Mine is still usable but really old and worn down. I'm not looking for anything too fancy....probably in the $250-$300 price range. I fish quite often but I still have trouble feeling lighter bites with a stiff rod so I need something that's got some sensitivity to it. Man I can already see the jokes that are going to come from this. :p Any recommendations?

Also if anyone is willing to share any good places to shore fish near Banff I'd really appreciate it. I'm going there for a few days for my birthday and would really like to do some fishing in the area. :)

$300 for a rod and reel is ballin out of control in my books.

How do you fish and what species do you target? Bait and lure chucking?

OneGirlWolfPack
08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Bee Guy, I keep getting mixed answers on that. Lol! Some say its a lot while others say its too cheap. I'm so confused. I've inherited some cheap rods, have one that probably used to be a decent one ten years ago and I just thought I'd treat myself to a special rod and reel for my birthday. I do a lot for other people and never get myself anything. I don't say that as a 'look at me, I'm so awesome' cause I'm not. Just explaining my reasoning behind what I'm looking for. I know it's silly but I would like to have something I'm proud of, that I can put in a case and know I earned it. I don't know anything about buying one so I chose a price out of the air.

Hooker, we don't have those stores where I'm at. Just wholesale sports and Walmart, etc.

I just catch smaller fish. Nothing too exciting. A lot of people are saying a G Loomis for a rod and maybe an Abu Garcia for a reel. Probably best if I just write this stuff down and go in and look to see what feels right.

Lund rebel
08-08-2013, 07:22 PM
The biggest thing to remember that a high end rod isn't going to catch you more fish just help you enjoy the ones you do. My friend bought a new high end rod today a d was choked he never caught a fish. I think your bang on with going to the stores and trying out what you like. One thing about reading reviews and asking on here is you will always get opinions. A few months ago I had a ugly stick and I would have said go for that as it has been bullet proof and caught fish, but the feel and weight of the new rod my opinion has changed. What feels good for me might not for you. I was always a spinning guy till I bought the baitcast and wow I can't even handle casting a spinning reel now.

Good luck :angry3:

huntsfurfish
08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
OneGirl

Buy 1 or 2 rods this week sale on at Wholesale Sports,20% off(by Saturday) and buy your reels next week going on sale(probably 20% off)at Wholesale Sports.

I am in Lethbridge and can help you if you wish. Could meet you at WSS. PM me if you wish.

BeeGuy
08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
For sure, get what you like.

An Abu spinning reel in the $100 range is great.

I use a quantum optix 2000 size ($24 new, lol) and catch most of my fish with it. It can easily handle 10-15lb fish and bigger.

I could use some different rods for sure. My back up spinning rod is from the 1980's (Diawa) and it has caught everything from RMWF to Chinooks >25lbs.

For your purposes, a light action rod about 7 feet long would be fine. I like a 6'6" light action a lot. Anything >$60 is probably pretty sweet.

See what they have and get what you like.

Experience is going to catch you a lot more fish than a $500 set-up.

I put a lot more emphasis on good line and appropriate terminal tackle than what kind of carbon washers are in my drag etc.

As mentioned a light set-up and a heavy set-up is about all you need for normal fishing in AB. The heavy set-up is good for tossing giant baits and lures, and for fighting sturgeon if you ever go after them.

You could get 2 nice rod/reel sets, one light and one heavy for the $300 you quoted.

But get what you like!

OneGirlWolfPack
08-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I've been doing some research and I'm thinking the way to go is two rods. One light and one medium. Kinda curious what Wayne Christie uses because I can't even lift his. It's embarrassing. :p I'm also curious what the girls on this board use too.

Lund, if I thought for a second the rod would make me a better fisherman I would've gotten one when I started instead of now. Lol! The one I currently use is good for feeling light bites but its old and not easy to reel with anymore.

Huntsfurfish thank you so much for the offer but I already have someone lined up to go with me on what will surely be an embarrassing time. :)

Etown, thank you for the advice. I didn't know that about the guides! That info will definitely come in handy.

ReayMan
08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
I'd go with a G loomis! I own three and love them. Great rods!

WayneChristie
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
I used to use a 7 foot medium action uglystik and sometims even my 9 foot light action, but since I started hunting dinos pretty much full time I switched to their tiger rods. Built to handle fish up to way bigger than we will ever have in Alberta. And after my 6 footer Im glad I did. I use a large capacity baitcaster and a bigger saltwater Penn spinning reel on them. Like the BG,s say your line choice is just as important as the rod and reel if not moreso. I do plan to pick up the tiger light rods over the winter, you would have an easier time getting your hand around that rod .

sns2
08-11-2013, 08:04 PM
This spring, I bought a dedicated walleye rod at TFH, it's a G. Loomis GL2 852-2S JWR Medium Fast 7’ 1” 1/8-3/8 oz 6-12 lb. Although I'm a 'born again' fisherman who hasn't fished much for the past 30-35 years, I'm impressed with the sensitivity of this rod. I can feel the walleye when they nibble at my bait.

Unfortunately, my BIL accidently broke my Fenwick trout rod this past weekend so yesterday I replaced it with another G.Loomis, a GL2 782-2S TJR 6’6’ Fast Action 4-8 lb 1/16-6/16 oz. This will be the rod my wife will use when she comes out walleye fishing with me.

From what I've heard from experienced fishermen, G. Loomis are great rods and well worth the $$$.

Bobby B.

I can vouch for Bobby B's recommendation. I spent a weekend with him in the boat at Slave Lake in late June. He was catching walleye one after another while I couldn't feel a nibble if the walleye were nibbling on my finger. He allowed me to use his rod for a short bit. What an incredible difference. Shocking actually.

If you want to catch fussy walleye, take his advice. Don't worry about the reel, as it doesn't really enter into the equation compared to a sensitive walleye rod.

Take your money and go confidently into The Fishin Hole and ask for the rod Bobby B has suggested. If the clerk offers something else simply tell him you know what you want.

You won't regret it.

ontario gunner
08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Another suggestion just to confuse you a little more... Buy one really good reel,, and 2 lower end rods in different weights. Most good reels come with 2 spools,, just load them with different pound test and switch them when you switch rods. Best reel I've owned is a shimano Stradic 2500,, it's caught literally thousands of fish from 6inch perch to 50 inch musky,,, and more 2-10lb walleyes than most people will catch in a lifetime.

OneGirlWolfPack
08-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I've learned so much from this thread. Thank you all for the advice! I'm looking forward to going this week to check out some set ups :)

OneGirlWolfPack
08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I went to wholesale sports today and it was a degrading experience so I won't be buying from there but I did get a chance to check out some St Croix and G loomis rods. Wow...just wow. Such a difference between those and mine. The loomis trout series rod was crazy thin. I'd be scared I'd break it. Sure was beautiful though!

Gust
08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I went to wholesale sports today and it was a degrading experience so I won't be buying from there but I did get a chance to check out some St Croix and G loomis rods. Wow...just wow. Such a difference between those and mine. The loomis trout series rod was crazy thin. I'd be scared I'd break it. Sure was beautiful though!

degrading, why? were they smug but liked the smell of your money?

huntsfurfish
08-12-2013, 10:11 PM

OGWP
Did you have problems with staff or something?

OneGirlWolfPack
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm not looking to cause problems. It's kind of a long story but I was originally looking at a $300 loomis rod and I made a joke about not deserving one that nice. Then I was looking at the st croix rod and asked the guy what reel he would pair with it and he made a joke (?) about me not deserving that one either because I didn't know which reel to put with it. I laughed it off saying I can say that but he can't and he said "Hey you said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with you." It bothered me because he had a very serious look on his face when he said it. I felt stupid and inexperienced. When I asked about the pflueger reels he said they don't have any because his manager doesn't do her job and said I could order one but it would take 2-4 weeks to get. At that point I was just done.

ETOWNCANUCK
08-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Too many store employees forget about the 'CUSTOMER SERVICE' in customer service.
Thats too bad OGWP don't let one moron ruin you getting a new rod and reel. And nice choices BTW.

Gust
08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm not looking to cause problems. It's kind of a long story but I was originally looking at a $300 loomis rod and I made a joke about not deserving one that nice. Then I was looking at the st croix rod and asked the guy what reel he would pair with it and he made a joke (?) about me not deserving that one either because I didn't know which reel to put with it. I laughed it off saying I can say that but he can't and he said "Hey you said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with you." It bothered me because he had a very serious look on his face when he said it. I felt stupid and inexperienced. When I asked about the pflueger reels he said they don't have any because his manager doesn't do her job and said I could order one but it would take 2-4 weeks to get. At that point I was just done.

Yuck, I would have fired him on the spot for such a comment. How do people new to fishing ask a dude like that questions?

Sad

huntsfurfish
08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Most staff in fishing is inexperienced(not an excuse) nor is their treatment of you excusable. Offer still stands to help if needed.

Fishfinder
08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
UGLY STICK. Never read replies but a gazillion fish can't be wrong, nor can I, hah,jk.
Comes in all sizes:)

U will NOT find better value for your buck. ANYWHERE!

Fishfinder
08-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I've only been fishn 5 or so years. I own 2 doz rods. 4 of which are ugly stix. 2 light, 1 med, 1 heavy. Still need my ultra.
Anyway, all these rods have been through heck n back over n over again. They are the energizer bunny of fishn unless u wanna spend a fortune on overpriced large rods that are way too much for AB fish. Look nice, totally unnecessary.

Reels, just play the fish accordingly. I like shimano when it comes to reels. Again, not pricey and great product. Bait casters suck IMO, only good for chucking distance.
I would put my xrap up against any bait casting reel anytime. Oops that's not an Ug stick, o well.

Comes down to preference.

My 2 sense anyway.

Shmag
08-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I never tried a G Loomis yet, but from the rods I tried here's what I would recommend. If you want to feel the slightest nibble, these will do that...after getting a feel for them I can even tell when I've been stripped of bait.

1st choice would be a St Croix...7 ft...on the handle it will say what the rod is designed for...personally I like the rigs and jigs. You can find these around the 90 dollar range on sale

2nd choice would be a 7 ft Fenwick Walleye series. If I recall these were under the 90 dollar range

Paired up with an Abu reel.

Good luck in your decision and for what its worth...You're probably better off NOT taking advice from anyone at WWS

OneGirlWolfPack
08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Lol! The timing of fishfinder's post gave me the laugh I needed. Thanks!

Sadly I'm used to feeling dumb when it comes to fishing. Just goes with the territory of being inexperienced I guess. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say much but someone from the fishing hole took the time tonight to ask what I was looking for and helped me choose what will be best for me. I'm so excited! I'm getting a G Loomis GL2 and a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel. Thank you to all of you for your help! And especially for not making me feel stupid.

great white whaler
08-13-2013, 12:31 AM

:) ya dont need to spend that kinda money on a rod,,quatum rod and reel 60 bucks at CT ,go with 6 pound test line

ETOWNCANUCK
08-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Your not stupid OGWP.
Fishing is more about luck than anything. Sure you can have the most expensive rod and reel ever made but when it comes down to it, if the fish are not there, and if they are not on the bite, you get skunked.
That's why this sport is called fishing and not catching.
It's true about whats been said on this forum and that's most fishing equipment catches fishermen more than it will ever catch fish.
Glad you found what you were looking for. I hope it brings you many years of fishing enjoyment.

marlin1
08-13-2013, 06:18 AM
I also like the shimano reels , served me well for many years . Godd luck on your trip :)

JohninAB
08-13-2013, 07:51 AM
That GLoomis and Shimano setup will serve you well.

Alberta Bigbore
08-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Lol! The timing of fishfinder's post gave me the laugh I needed. Thanks!

Sadly I'm used to feeling dumb when it comes to fishing. Just goes with the territory of being inexperienced I guess. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say much but someone from the fishing hole took the time tonight to ask what I was looking for and helped me choose what will be best for me. I'm so excited! I'm getting a G Loomis GL2 and a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel. Thank you to all of you for your help! And especially for not making me feel stupid.

Nice!!!

Lefty-Canuck
08-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Are you forgetting power of the "three wolf moon"?

It doesn't matter what rod and reel you have....wear that shirt and you will catch fish.

LC :)

Winch101
08-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Find the cheapest rod,that you like the feel of ....they are all made
In the same hut ...... Some back bone with a soft tip....
1/4 to 5/8 oz. 6 to 10 lb. test ....Rapala make a great product for the money.

New Shimano Sienna ....great value ...wear them out ....start again

Like I say ....all Beijing specials ......buy more bait...

I sold fishing tackle ,and Golf equipment for 25 yrs to retailers
Two of the greatest scams ever perpetrated on the buying public .

I have 200 plus dollar rods ,they don't fish any better ,than the 2 PC
Rapala. RT for 49 bucks I got last year....

You know what we say. " if you can't play a sport be one "

EZM
08-13-2013, 08:25 AM
I can vouch for Bobby B's recommendation. I spent a weekend with him in the boat at Slave Lake in late June. He was catching walleye one after another while I couldn't feel a nibble if the walleye were nibbling on my finger. He allowed me to use his rod for a short bit. What an incredible difference. Shocking actually.

If you want to catch fussy walleye, take his advice. Don't worry about the reel, as it doesn't really enter into the equation compared to a sensitive walleye rod.

Take your money and go confidently into The Fishin Hole and ask for the rod Bobby B has suggested. If the clerk offers something else simply tell him you know what you want.

You won't regret it.

Hallelujah !!!!!!

Buying a sensitive, quality rod WILL, IN FACT, help you catch more fish. My St.Croix rods are far more sensitive than many other rods out there. Certainly for finicky species like light nibbling walleye ......... they make a big difference. I can feel a fly walking on my rod with my St.Croix.

If you are chucking lures for Pike .......... well ........ then .......... the advantage are less pronounced. A reel with smooth drag is probably more the focus on your pike set up.

Geezle
08-13-2013, 09:55 AM
That GLoomis and Shimano setup will serve you well.

X2 you're gonna like that one :cool:

huntsfurfish
08-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Good to here you got your rod and reel!:)

Buckhorn2
08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Ive been fishing for close to 29 of my 33 year exsistance. Im by no means an expert, but I enjoy fishing as often as I can. I would say for 300 dollars you could buy 10 fishing rods and reels.

As someone pointed out earlier, I second the ugly stick, and shimano reels. If you want to go pricey :) As i treated myself to an ugly stick that i used for id say 15 years. currently i think they are 49.99 one piece rod. with reel. at basspro.

You could buy a light rod and heavy rod at canadian tire for 30-60 dollars easily if you wanted and spend the rest of the money on the expensive lures.

I have landed quite a few big fish, landlocked salmon, a 33inch pickerel, a few striped bass close to 30lbs, (all back on the east coast). I watched a few friends land even bigger fish, all on canadian tire gear. back home we didnt have wholesale sports or basspro. we had walmart and canadian tire.

Ive only been in alberta for 2 years, but from what Ive found, to be sucessful in all the places ive fished, its presentation that counts. I would spend the cash on lures. Chances are you will land any fish you hook regardless of reel and rod, if you just get out and practice and fish fish fish :)

Im currently using a rod reel combo i picked up from the fishinhole was around 50 bucks. I think you already found your rod, but I will post my comment incase other people are searching for the same question.

Walleyemagnet
08-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Good choice with what you picked for a rod and reel! I would've suggested the Shimano Stradic 2500FJ but you'll be happy with the Symetre. One word of advice: try a few out in the store before you buy one. I was buying a few 1000s last year for ice fishing and there were a few that would stick, maybe not oiled from factory. Work the bail, check the reverse, etc. Also, when you get it home, there's a little bottle of lube that comes with it. unscrew the oil cap on the left side of the reel(part#8776), right below the crank. Put 3 drops of oil in there and work the crank for as long as you can or until you get bored of this. As you're doing this, change the position of the reel-straight up and down, sideways, upside down, forward and reverse, etc. then pop the screw out and put a couple more drops in and repeat this. You'll be surprised at how smooth that reel will be when you're done lubing it in this fashion. I do this to all my reels at least once a year. Congrats! Enjoy!

OneGirlWolfPack
08-13-2013, 10:48 PM
That is awesome advice walleyemagnet! I'm going to take a snapshot of that so I'll remember to do it.

I actually went with the G Loomis GL3 rod. My friend from the fishing hole suggested it because I river fish a lot and the other one might be a little too light. It's all being shipped to me now. I can't wait to try it out! Terry is absolutely awesome! He went over every detail with me to pick out what would work best for me, gave me lots of choices and answered my numerous dumb questions. Lol! I got a really good deal and he even threw in a birthday present for me. :) It couldn't have come at a better time. Really needed that smile. Thank you Terry!!!!

Buckhorn, I couldn't agree more! I was given a cheap rod from Canadian tire in the past and that thing has taken a beating and is still going strong. I've always used it for heavier weights and lures and it works really great. I also agree that this thread is great for anyone looking for a new rod or reel. There's so much good information

Didn't quite finish writing that when my dog attacked a skunk. The fun never stops at my house. If anyone needs me I'll be dry heaving while washing the dog again.

Drop_Tine
08-14-2013, 03:36 PM
I have both loomis and st.croix rods , there awesome !! But I also have a few shimano crucial rods , for around that 120$ range each you could buy 2 rods one for jigging eyes and the other for casting lures , plus you would be under your 300$ budget and get 2 awesome rods !! Instead of one st.croix or loomis ... Just a thought ! Pm me if me if u have questions , about rods or reels .

Drop_Tine
08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Well never mind I see u bought a sweeeeet rod , nice choice :)

Walleyedude
08-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Terry is absolutely awesome! He went over every detail with me to pick out what would work best for me, gave me lots of choices and answered my numerous dumb questions. Lol! I got a really good deal and he even threw in a birthday present for me. :) It couldn't have come at a better time. Really needed that smile. Thank you Terry!!!!

Terry is the best.

You simply won't find anyone more knowledgeable and more willing to help anywhere else.

WayneChristie
08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Terry is the best.

You simply won't find anyone more knowledgeable and more willing to help anywhere else.

I didnt know you had another account Terry! :bad_boys_20: nah hes an awesome guy for sure.

DarkAisling
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say much but someone from the fishing hole took the time tonight to ask what I was looking for and helped me choose what will be best for me.

I'm so glad that you popped by TFH! As I was reading about your WSS experience I was going to strongly recommend that you go the TFH. The guys there are amazing, and they're pretty good at giving discounts to regular customers. I've gotten some great deals: particularly on things that they don't move much of, or have been sitting around the store too long. The service is amazing, too. They've accepted returns for me on a couple of times, with few (if any) questions asked. They'll also do special orders.

I'm confused, though . . . why aren't you sure if you're allowed to say much? They're still site sponsors.

OneGirlWolfPack
08-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Drop tine, does that offer to all fishing questions because I'm always looking for new victims to answer my numerous dumb questions. Lol!

Dark Aisling (awesome name!), I didn't know they were site sponsors. I always worry about what I can and can't say on here. Glad you brought that up. Now I won't be paranoid about giving credit where it's due. :) You're right, they're fantastic! Terry was awesome about answering my questions and he clearly cared about what I wanted, it was just an awesome experience. I would shop there again without hesitation.

Legend Boats
08-15-2013, 05:38 AM
It sounds like you got an excellent rod for what your using it for. You'll find the loomis GL series a great line up and there blanks offer so much sensitivity for fishing. What kind of reel and line are you thinking of using for that GL?

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

pechetr
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Another option is 2 decent rods and one good reel. The reels are easy to swap when needed.

Rod selection should come down to comfort IMO. Once you decide on length, action, and 1 or 2 piece, try holding everything that meets your criteria and the question should answer itself. I'm a big fan of the quantum smoke rods (should be around $100 on sale at Wholesale right now). Bought one last year and ended up with 2 more this year. I held every rod in Cabelas and Whokesale and the only rods I liked better than the smoke were $300+ . I've got both Pti-c and smoke reels, I prefer the pti out of the 2.

This is my suggestion as well. I like the shimano's and the St croix's personally.

OneGirlWolfPack
08-16-2013, 12:53 AM
My rod and reel came in today! I'm so excited to try it out tomorrow!

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/1fb805f5-8f47-455c-b8ab-b92fb1db473f_zps4c85f802.jpg

JohninAB
08-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice looking rig. Looking forward to the picture of the first fish on the new rig.

DarkAisling
08-16-2013, 07:39 AM
It is always so much fun to get new gear. I'm sure you're going to love it.

Winch101
08-16-2013, 08:29 AM
You are right about WSS ....and the good guys that they had are gone .....

Was in ,to buy a new pipe , so stopped in fishing to see if they had any paddle

Tail plastics , 1st guy ,didn't know what I was talking about , 2nd asked me

I quote , do those go on those jigger hooks....

Your right about the Fishin hole , terry , Kelly , all really good ......

I go there when I,m buying . Nice combo ,your gonna love it ,

I,m pretty jaded when it comes to fishing tackle ....I forget the goose bumpys

You get with that new toy....I remember when we sold the first $100.00 rods ever out

About 1975 .
Fenwick Composite , worm rod , sold out immediately I then

Knew fisherman were nuts , I had 5 of them in the boat .....

Before that 40 bucks was considered insane ,St Croix made solid glass crap.

Definitely pics of first behemoth , or reasonable facsimile.

Geezle
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
My rod and reel came in today! I'm so excited to try it out tomorrow!

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/1fb805f5-8f47-455c-b8ab-b92fb1db473f_zps4c85f802.jpg

Mmmmmm...shiny! :)

huntsfurfish
08-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Hope you catch many fish with that rig and all big ones.:sHa_shakeshout:

BobLoblaw
08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice new toy!

Geezle says you should have went with an Ugly Stik... :scared0018:

mooseknuckle
08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Nice new toy!

X2 totally should have gotten the ugly stick.

It would appear I'm too late, bought a bunch of gear yesterday.

I would have suggested a pflueger patriarch matched with the shimano compre.

Looks like you got yourself a decent setup there OGWP. Have fun and try not too slam the car door or tail gate on your rod tip.... Ask me why. Actually don't.

crosbyfan123
08-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Should have gotten the walleye series blows the gl3 out of the water for sensitivity. But still a nice rod.

Btw should have waited for wall to wall on wednesday.

Have fun with the new setup.

marlin1
08-17-2013, 11:40 PM
so you given your gear a test run yet?

OneGirlWolfPack
08-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Crosbyfan I did check out the walleye series but I mostly river fish and the gl3 was a better choice for me. It's an amazing rod and I'm really happy with it.

Haha moose knuckle! I'll try not to. :p

Geezle
08-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Nice new toy!

I see what you did there...:fighting0074:

Hunter Trav
08-18-2013, 10:44 AM
:confused: So where are the pics of you and your first fish with the new rod??? :cool:

OneGirlWolfPack
08-18-2013, 12:01 PM
:confused: So where are the pics of you and your first fish with the new rod??? :cool:

In my profile album :) Not the greatest pics but I caught my biggest mooneye so far!

OneGirlWolfPack
08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
so you given your gear a test run yet?

Sure did! Went out with my friend Wayne Christie Friday....embarrassed myself pretty good but I had fun. :p Then last night I took it out again closer to home. I love it! Terry knows his stuff. That rod couldn't be more perfect for me.

Hunter Trav
08-18-2013, 12:43 PM
In my profile album :) Not the greatest pics but I caught my biggest mooneye so far!

Good stuff, congrats on the PB, hopefully there will be many more to come...:cool:

OneGirlWolfPack
08-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Good stuff, congrats on the PB, hopefully there will be many more to come...:cool:

Thanks! I really hope so! I'd love to catch a good sized walleye....and a trout. Pretty much any kind of trout will do. Lol!