PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Bass

BigBuck$
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know if there are any Smallmouth anywhere in Alberta? Went to Manitoba this summer (again :)) to catch them. One of the best fighting fish out there.

Rockymtnx
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry BigBuck
You will have to travel east or west of Alberta to catch them.
Some of the southern lakes in BC do have good populations of them.

You sure right about fishing them. They sure are fun to catch.

floppychicken
08-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know if there are any Smallmouth anywhere in Alberta? Went to Manitoba this summer (again :)) to catch them. One of the best fighting fish out there.

The closest you'll find BASS is probably in lake Windermere. I'm not sure about smallies, but there are apparently a lot of Large Mouth in there....

Cheers,

/FC....

Faststeel
08-22-2008, 02:16 AM
We have a cabin north of The Pas on Rocky Lake and the bass fishing there is great. There are some smaller bodies of water near by that you must hike into that offer great fishing for bass as well, All catch and release in our area.
There are without a doubt in my mind the best fighting fresh water fish I've caught in the provinces. Arctic graying in the territories are great fighters in the 2lb or larger range. FS

BigA
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Island lake, by Smoky Lake, was stocked with smallmouth in the 80s. Reportedly there is a small, but reproducing population still remaining in the lake.

read the second to last paragraph
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/statusfish.aspx

You could always go there and give it a shot. If there is any left, they are probably hogs!!