PDA

View Full Version : Frazer River Sturgeon Fishing

Sledhead71
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Had the opportunity to run into BC and try our luck at the great white sturgeon the Frazer is known for.. Little did we know, our first morning out would be an experience of a lifetime...

It was may be 15 to 20 minutes into the day and we see a rod slowly bending, double hook set and the adventure and fight of our lives began... Jason was first up, he man handled this beast for near 2 1/2 hours before handing the rod over to myself.. I put in the same shift and let me tell you I never expected the power these fish had..

Now, about five hours into the fight, guide is saying this fish should be over 8 feet and keep gaining on it boys.. Up river, down river and any direction this fish felt like going we went... It was after 6 hours of fight that we finally seen her crest and the pressure was on, monster double digits and not giving up..

We all were amazed when she crested about 35 feet out, something we all will never forget... It took near 7 1/2 hours to bring this girl to shore for a once in a lifetime photo shoot and two very happy flat landers :)

In two days we managed to land a 8' 4", 7' 6", 7' 4", 7" 2" and many below the 7 foot mark.. Unreal experience and trip of a lifetime..

Here is our prize fighting white sturgeon from the Frazer. We filmed our entire trip, so hope to share this with the public as words just can't describe this adventure..

Pixel Shooter
08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Simply awesome!!! big congrats, on my bucket list, going to have to bump it up LOL!! that's a long fight LOL. luv the pics, smiles say it all

stob
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
let the opportunity to do go by once, never again ... great fish...a tad bigger than the ones in Edmonton

Chewie66
08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Wow. That is awesome! I don't think it gets much better than that.

buckbrushoutdoors
08-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Unreal fish boys congrats!! what kind of bait?

FishingFrenzy
08-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Awesome sturgeon guys!

Did you guys go with a guiding outfit? The reason I ask is Im headed out there in a few weeks and im still undecided on a guide..there's so many to choose from.

Feel free to reply or PM.

Again, amazing fish. I can't wait for my trip out there at the end of august.

whitetail Junkie
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Congradulations!....Awesome adventure!!! I thought that was you with my cousin in the picture,but I was'nt 100% sure. Was that the 11 footer?

Drop_Tine
08-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I couldn't have described it better man! Pretty awesome trip we had .

AppleJax
08-07-2013, 08:07 PM
That's an amazing fish! Definitely have White Sturgeon on my bucket list! I'll second Buckbrushoutdoors on what kind of bait you used?!

Fish-Taco
08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
wow that is an amazing fish!!

Kurt505
08-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Congrats on some great fish! Kinda wrecks a guy tho. Now it's about the only fishing trip I get excited for anymore.

whitetail Junkie
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
That's an amazing fish! Definitely have White Sturgeon on my bucket list! I'll second Buckbrushoutdoors on what kind of bait you used?!

Maggots.

1bluZebec
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Pure AWESOME!!! We're leaving on the 17th to chilliwhack to do the same with my wife and son. Your pics and story make me just so excited there's a hint of nervousness lol GREAT JOB!

Fishfinder
08-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Maggots.

HaH! Funny stuff!

Congrats fellas, just purrrrrrre awesome indeed!
Thx for sharing:)

Riverbc
08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Sledhead71- that's a nice looking Fraser River sturgeon. :happy0180:

1bluZebec- good luck on your trip, out of Chilliwack. :character0053:

Safety D
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Those big fish should never take more then an hour to get in. I brought in a a 7 foot 5 in 20 minutes. Have to lay the boots to them....

The-Legend
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Congrats man!! They are friggen awesome fish

CK Angler
08-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Just pure awesomeness!!!

Vigsy
08-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Those big fish should never take more then an hour to get in. I brought in a a 7 foot 5 in 20 minutes. Have to lay the boots to them....

Really? Thats impressive your a god like specimen.

Any how awsome fish boys, as with everyone else definatly on my bucket list!

Drop_Tine
08-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Dude , as noted we caught 3 that were 7 plus feet and one 8'6 (second biggest) .......a fish of this size , length with a 50 inch girth doesn't compare to 7 footer ....not even close . If 7 feet is your biggest than you don't know the power these big fish have until you catch one . And I hope you do one day , fish of a lifetime ... Good luck

Snap Shot
08-08-2013, 11:01 PM
A dream of mine is to get a group together and head to Fraser river sturgeon fishing.
Congrats guys on a fish of a lifetime

marlin1
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
very nice

OneGirlWolfPack
08-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Oh my god! That's insane! Congratulations guys :)

TKM
08-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Wow, amazing pictures! Congrats!

Safety D
08-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Right on if a guy can crack 120 inches then you have a fish of a lifetime....

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 08:27 AM
First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long. Not only is it hard on the angler but very hard on the fish.

Kurt505
08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked or very inexperienced guide. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long.

What would you know about sturgeon fishing??? Your too busy playing in the canyon!

Just Kidding, how's it going Vic? I'm itchin to get back out there with you, Hunter's chomping at the bit too, we just have to wait until little brother is big enough. We're training him young tho, had him out on the water for some full day trips this summer, he should be good to go for next season. I still might be able to sneak away for a couple days yet later this fall if your not all booked up!

fickell
08-09-2013, 08:42 AM
First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long. Not only is it hard on the angler but very hard on the fish.

We have been lucky to pick vic and his team of guides for a sturgeon fishing adventure and it was great, he knows what he is talking about and we landed fish of that size and it never took near that long that amount of time is way to hard on the fish

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey Kurt, those kids must be getting big, say hi to the wife and kids for me.

not to carry on but I think it might be useful to provide a copy of the Sturgeon Best handling Practices for everyone who is planning on fishing for sturgeon. This document was put together by fisheries and guides to help reduce impact on sturgeon and keep this fishery open for sportfishing.

Releasing White Sturgeon The Gentle Way

The majority of white sturgeon populations in British Columbia are listed under the federal Species at Risk Act and are not open to angling. Since populations in the Lower and Middle Fraser River are relatively healthy, they are able to support exciting world class fisheries. However, these populations are still vulnerable to impacts from angling, habitat destruction, pollution and salmon net fisheries, and they are still provincially and nationally designated as endangered. In addition to being endangered, white sturgeon mature after 17 to 20 years and can live for more than 100 years, so impacts or injuries can be long lasting. As such, all sturgeon angling in the province is catch and release only, and will be more strictly managed in the future.

Indications are that catch and release sturgeon angling can be a low impact activity. However, to minimize harm to fish, extra care and attention must be taken to ensure their health and survival, and to maintain the treasured fishery. Anglers must abide by the following capture and handling practices.

1. Angling tackle should be heavy enough to handle these potential large fish. Use heavy rods and reels, and at least 100 lb. manufacture rated test line. Play and release fish as rapidly as possible. A fish played for too long may not recover.

2. Only barbless hooks are permitted while sturgeon angling. Well embedded hooks can be removed with long needle-nose pliers, or a hook remover. Grab the bend of the hook and twist, and the hook will dislodge. Be quick, but gentle. A fish that is deeply hooked, hooked on or near the gills, or bleeding profusely has a much lower chance of survival once released. You can improve its chances by cutting the leader and releasing the fish with the hook left in. The line will rot and the hook will eventually drop out.

3. Leave the fish in the water wherever possible.
A fish suffocates when it’s out of the water, and is at risk of internal injuries due to its own weight, especially if it is large (greater than 1.5 m in length). Ropes, tailers, nooses or any other device are not used on any part of any fish to hold or land the fish.

4. Land larger fish in shallow water near the shore.
Do not drag any fish out of the water onto the shore. Do not land a large fish at the boat and then tow it by the tail to shore. Towing a fish to shore is very damaging to the fish and can lessen its’ chances of survival or even kill it. If you land a large fish at the boat, then release it at the boat. Smaller fish can be landed on the boat by lifting and cradling it with gloved hands underneath and behind the front fins and just forward of the tail. It should be placed into a wetted sling. A fish should never be pulled into a boat by using a rope or by its’ gill plates. mouth, or pectoral fins. Use as many people to cradle the fish as is necessary to not hurt it.

5. If you handle a fish, then do so with care.
Keep your fingers away from the gills and out of the gill plates, and don’t squeeze of hug it. If you want photographs then leave larger fish in the water, smaller fish should be cradled. Have your camera ready and be quick so the fish is only briefly disturbed. Take the time to hold the fish in the water to recover. Point the fish upstream into the current while reviving it, and when the fish begins to struggle and swim normally, let it go.

Take Care and be gentle
to help maintain this amazing fishery & allow these gentle giants of the Fraser to live another day.

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi Guys, I just spoke with the guide who did this trip and he clarified that the fish was 10ft 3inches not 8ft 4 inches, although that is still too long for any size sturgeon it makes a bit more sense when you have 2 anglers who are not experienced.

Some of you might wonder why this is such a big deal but it is as fish handling is a major issue right now in our region and if we want to continue to fish for sturgeon on the Fraser, anglers and guides must use do diligence in handling and reducing playing time of sturgeon.

Hope you all get to experience this great fishery and congrats again on the large catch of a lifetime.

Kurt505
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
We have been lucky to pick vic and his team of guides for a sturgeon fishing adventure and it was great, he knows what he is talking about and we landed fish of that size and it never took near that long that amount of time is way to hard on the fish

Not to derail this thread too much, but I've been fishing with Vic for several years, and I honestly don't think there is a more knowledgeable or dedicated man on the Fraser. Look at his history of writing on not only sturgeon, but salmon, steelhead, and trout and you'll see he knows the western waters better than most "professionals". Heck, the DFO asks Vic for advice! Sturgeon are what makes the Fraser a unique and legendary fishery, and Vic has played an important roll in helping to keep the sturgeon fishery what it is today. If any advice on this forum should be taken serious about sturgeon, I highly suggest it's Vic's.

PS, the Mrs's says hi Vic.

Drop_Tine
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Not experienced , come on dude ... How degrating is that???!! It was 127 so 10'6 and 11'3 to the tip of the tale with a 50 inch girth !!

Once again this forum just amazes on how the " pros" would do it

If possible could u please send me the text book on how to fight huge fish and time line in should take to get these fish in ??? And what to do when the rod it totally torqued up from base to tip and cant budge the fish off the bottom??? I didn't realize every fish fought the same , I guess the years tournament fishing, sturgeon fishing & deep sea fishing I've done ...I know nothing and totally inexperienced, and don't know how to fight a fish ... U bet I take your comments personal , and I'm sure you would to if I degraded your character or bussieness on the Internet !!!

Sledhead71
08-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys, I just spoke with the guide who did this trip and he clarified that the fish was 10ft 3inches not 8ft 4 inches, although that is still too long for any size sturgeon it makes a bit more sense when you have 2 anglers who are not experienced.

Some of you might wonder why this is such a big deal but it is as fish handling is a major issue right now in our region and if we want to continue to fish for sturgeon on the Fraser, anglers and guides must use do diligence in handling and reducing playing time of sturgeon.

Hope you all get to experience this great fishery and congrats again on the large catch of a lifetime.

Well Vic I take great offence to your comments on this thread... First, you did carry on with-out knowing the facts, and fell short on the character side by contacting the guide who we fished with..

Second, do you personally know either of us ? Stating that we are not experienced is sad, and we did follow all BC fisheries practices to reduce the impact on this sturgeon.

I guess if you don't have a decade of fishing these great sturgeon, don't bother as you need to be experienced or Vic may shed a tear and cry wolf to anyone who listens.. Hope you make anyone who books a trip with you provide proof of experience and decline to take them out when they don't meet your high standards..

We filmed this fight and all others we landed, the rest of the sturgeon came in easily and that's what we hoped for... The release was perfect, guess we did something right, probably thou you would find some fault as you are the expert when it comes to these great sturgeon.

Why you have decided to chime in with your personal attacks is beyond me, but you the man and I bow my rod to your attitude.

If the MOD's can remove this thread I would appreciate it and in the future I will NOT be contributing stories or pictures so others can pick them apart and continue to degrade sportsmen and women to make themselves feel better.

fickell
08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
See yah

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I apologize for offending you , I did not intend to do that. I said inexperienced as I miss read your post and thought it was your first time sturgeon fishing. I contacted your guide because he does trips for us so I think I have the right to do that. I won't comment any more on this but to say I thought I was doing the right thing by posting. Education is the key to keeping this sturgeon fishery open . Hero shots should not come at any expense.

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 08:56 PM
m

Vic Carrao
08-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Not experienced , come on dude ... How degrating is that???!! It was 127 so 10'6 and 11'3 to the tip of the tale with a 50 inch girth !!

Once again this forum just amazes on how the " pros" would do it

If possible could u please send me the text book on how to fight huge fish and time line in should take to get these fish in ??? And what to do when the rod it totally torqued up from base to tip and cant budge the fish off the bottom??? I didn't realize every fish fought the same , I guess the years tournament fishing, sturgeon fishing & deep sea fishing I've done ...I know nothing and totally inexperienced, and don't know how to fight a fish ... U bet I take your comments personal , and I'm sure you would to if I degraded your character or bussieness on the Internet !!!

That was not the intent and I apologize if I did. The fact is that sturgeon are under the microscope and going on the internet and saying that it took you 71/2 hours to land a 8ft 3 sturgeon as reported on the site is concerning whether you like it or not. Maybe if the post was accurate than there would be no discussion.

fish99
08-09-2013, 09:26 PM
That was not the intent and I apologize if I did. The fact is that sturgeon are under the microscope and going on the internet and saying that it took you 71/2 hours to land a 8ft 3 sturgeon as reported on the site is concerning whether you like it or not. Maybe if the post was accurate than there would be no discussion.

call mike of slit shoot charters and see what happened on the Columbia river that he used to guide on for sturgeon , and that was before the internet.

j-bone
08-10-2013, 11:33 PM
When members feel like being put under a microscope because they paid for a trip and had a guide take them out. Come back home and post there awesome experience and get ripped on. That is so sad. I haven't been on this site for so long I couldn't remember my password, cause I was tired of seeing this crap. I was excited to post my only draw I got and seen a buddy post his fishing trip experience and seen this.WOW. So I wanted to say congrats guys on some monster sturgeons.

Sledhead71
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
When I originally posted our adventure, I never expected this to turn to a negative about the great fisheries in BC and the sturgeon the Fraser is known for.

It appears there is a lot of speculation on how big this fish was, if we were experienced, why the fish took so long to come it and possibly we were in the wrong for continuing to try and land this sturgeon.

We filmed this adventure, so if I need to I can discuss any concerns in private and ensure those who need clarification on anything that ourselves and our guide did everything possible to ensure the health of this fish.

Some think that this old girl piled herself up under a log or debris in where we may have thought we were "fighting" this fish and actually were just caught up..

Here is a photo of the sonar just near 2 1/2 hours into the fight, of course I covered the location, but as you can see, there was never a dull moment..

We will return to the Fraser in the future and hope we are blessed enough to land more double digit fish, I wish everyone could experience these giants of the waters...

1bluZebec
08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
When I originally posted our adventure, I never expected this to turn to a negative about the great fisheries in BC and the sturgeon the Fraser is known for.

It appears there is a lot of speculation on how big this fish was, if we were experienced, why the fish took so long to come it and possibly we were in the wrong for continuing to try and land this sturgeon.

We filmed this adventure, so if I need to I can discuss any concerns in private and ensure those who need clarification on anything that ourselves and our guide did everything possible to ensure the health of this fish.

Some think that this old girl piled herself up under a log or debris in where we may have thought we were "fighting" this fish and actually were just caught up..

Here is a photo of the sonar just near 2 1/2 hours into the fight, of course I covered the location, but as you can see, there was never a dull moment..

We will return to the Fraser in the future and hope we are blessed enough to land more double digit fish, I wish everyone could experience these giants of the waters...

I'm blown away that people need to give any criticism of any sort. You were posting your trip which was an amazing trip of a lifetime as we can all see and no matter what you did your best and I think it's great that you cared to let us exprience a little about your trip us people that might never get to experience such a trip. Thanks and don't let one person deter you cause the majority fore surely loved your thread and pics.:confused0024:

Kurt505
08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Well I'll say this, there was some true giants caught on that trip, hooking up with an 8' sturgeon is awesome, hooking a 10' sturgeon is like connecting with a 170" whitetail!

Another thing I'll say, I know Vic and I know that his posts on this thread were never meant to offend anyone. Google Vic Carrao and look what comes up. If it weren't for him fishing the Fraser would not be what it is today. Many of us east of the Rockies have never heard of him, but on the west coast, in the Fraser valley he is a very well known and out spoken advocate of sport fishing. If you look at his post count it's obvious he doesn't post on threads he has no business posting on, but white sturgeon on the Fraser is his passion, and it's a fishery he has been actively trying to preserve for a long time. His posts on this thread weren't meant to offend but rather try to educate. This is the net, and sometimes it's easy to misinterpret things without the benefit of physical expression. I've fished with him many times and trust me, he is a stand up guy who truley loves what he does, and loves to see others enjoy it.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I know this thread went sideways all over some misinformation on both sides. Important thing is the smiles on the faces in the picture, and the fact the sturgeon fishing in the Fraser is a thriving fishery!

pottymouth
08-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Gents, what an amazing adventure and Fish. Huge congrats ! After seeing your post, it makes me want to go try it. Awesome! Fish of a lifetime Boys!

And don't worry about the " pro's " and their opinions. Post cause you love it and there are a lot of us who want to see huge trophies, and appreciate everything involved.

Acesneights
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
I had to stop reading all the posts of garbage but I am glad to see the original picture. It's getting me excited cause I'm heading out on sept.6 to the Fraser for sturgeon and see what we can't round. Will post pics on my return

davegrant
08-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Well I'll say this, there was some true giants caught on that trip, hooking up with an 8' sturgeon is awesome, hooking a 10' sturgeon is like connecting with a 170" whitetail!

Another thing I'll say, I know Vic and I know that his posts on this thread were never meant to offend anyone. Google Vic Carrao and look what comes up. If it weren't for him fishing the Fraser would not be what it is today. Many of us east of the Rockies have never heard of him, but on the west coast, in the Fraser valley he is a very well known and out spoken advocate of sport fishing. If you look at his post count it's obvious he doesn't post on threads he has no business posting on, but white sturgeon on the Fraser is his passion, and it's a fishery he has been actively trying to preserve for a long time. His posts on this thread weren't meant to offend but rather try to educate. This is the net, and sometimes it's easy to misinterpret things without the benefit of physical expression. I've fished with him many times and trust me, he is a stand up guy who truley loves what he does, and loves to see others enjoy it.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I know this thread went sideways all over some misinformation on both sides. Important thing is the smiles on the faces in the picture, and the fact the sturgeon fishing in the Fraser is a thriving fishery!

I also know Vic and have used his guides for 6 years now. Going again on Sept 14. Always top notch guides that put u on fish. Last year Brother in law's boat landed 23. I tried without a guide Big Fat Zero Skunk. Vic and his guides are on the water every day and sturgeon are their passion and strive for balance between thrill of the catch with the well-being of the fish. This dedication has made the Fraser the World-Class fishery it is today.
Bottom Line Congratulations Sleadhead71 on an outstanding trip and fish. Just look at the pics and video a few more times and our comments won't matter. CHEERS:happy0180:

Sledhead71
08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments and messages regarding our adventure.

Already booking another trip out to the Fraser for next year with a bigger group and look forward to another exceptional experience in B.C.

ryisnky
08-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Congrats; That is awesome; looks like a fishing trip of a lifetime!!

whitetailman
08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
how much is a trip like this?

ishootbambi
08-23-2013, 10:10 PM
another shining example of why so many guys who have so much to contribute just don't. nice effin job donkeys.

J and J....great looking trip boys.