PDA

View Full Version : Abu Garcia C4 for salmon

Kurt505
08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Can anyone tell me if an Abu Garcia C4 6600 would be suitable for trolling for chinook in the saltwater? I don't have much experience with this reel, but it seems a bit small. If not, can anyone give me a suggestion as to which bait cast reel I should be looking at for this?

Lefty-Canuck
08-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Personally I would look for a mootching reel over a bait caster for trolling for salmon.

Just came back from a trip to Tahsis and all the guides were trolling with mootching reels....that are saltwater compatible.

Large level wind bait casters are good for fishin the depths for bottom fish.

LC

pseelk
08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Personally I would look for a mootching reel over a bait caster for trolling for salmon.

Just came back from a trip to Tahsis and all the guides were trolling with mootching reels....that are saltwater compatible.

Large level wind bait casters are good for fishin the depths for bottom fish.

LC

Or river sandbar fishing.Eg Fraser River.

AppleJax
08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Mooching reel gets my vote too. I run a shimano 4000GT with 25lb mono. Remember to rinse your reel off with freshwater after each trip even if its rated for salt.

Joe Fehr
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Lots of guides are going to Penn level wind for trolling in the salt now just for ease of use. The Abu Garcia 7000 will work fine for trolling, river fishing etc.

The traditional way is with mooching reels and lots of people still use them. But a good salt water level wind works just as well IMHO.

Kurt505
08-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I figured the mooching set up would be the preferred way to go but I just spent $300 on a 9' GLoomis rod and have a C4 6600 on it, was hoping to use it for salmon, I didn't really want to spend a pile on a mooching set up I'll only be using a couple times a year.

Joe Fehr
08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Use it! Depending on the action and such of your GLoomis you may want to look at a mooching rod but any rod will catch fish if the bait is put in the right spot. The 6600 is a little small but I'm sure it will stand up.

My buddy burned up his C7000 a couple years ago on the Skeena with a 42lb Spring cost him a rebuild but he happily paid for it lol

Kurt505
08-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Use it! Depending on the action and such of your GLoomis you may want to look at a mooching rod but any rod will catch fish if the bait is put in the right spot. The 6600 is a little small but I'm sure it will stand up.

My buddy burned up his C7000 a couple years ago on the Skeena with a 42lb Spring cost him a rebuild but he happily paid for it lol

The rod is an 8'-6" GL2 extra fast action, heavy 15-30lb, I'm not worried about the rod holding up, I just want a reel that will hold up and have enough line capacity.

Joe Fehr
08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
The rod is an 8'-6" GL2 extra fast action, heavy 15-30lb, I'm not worried about the rod holding up, I just want a reel that will hold up and have enough line capacity.

Only thing you might notice with the Fast action Heavy power rod is the fish will pull alot of hooks due to the soft mouths of the salmon and you won't have a real good fight. The mooching rod is soft and works better in the down rigger.

I have the same rod I think from G. Loomis, beautiful rods but pretty powerful for salmon on the chuck. I brought in a 6'6" sturgeon on the Fraser with mine. It will work tho.

Spool up with some 15-20lb mono and you will be fine, or go with braid for more capacity but remember you have no stretch when they hit on the down rigger, you may want a snubber rubber on there to soften it a bit.

Kurt505
08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks Joe, the more I'm hearing, the more I'm thinking a knuckle buster might just be the way to go. It seems they're either $40-$70 or $400-$700 for a reel with nothing really in the $200-$300 range for a decent reel. Looks like I either have to go big or go cheap for this one.

browning375
08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks Joe, the more I'm hearing, the more I'm thinking a knuckle buster might just be the way to go. It seems they're either $40-$70 or $400-$700 for a reel with nothing really in the $200-$300 range for a decent reel. Looks like I either have to go big or go cheap for this one.

Wholesale has a wicked deal on rods right now, I just picked up a Shimano technium 10'6" mooching rod for $125.00 regular $159.00 and a Amundson TMX4 mooching reel and you have a killer set up. Even a cheaper Daiwa mooching reel works great with a nice long rod. I personally believe with the long rod it gives you more control and spring which helps you stay hooked up on salmon.

Kurt505
08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Wholesale has a wicked deal on rods right now, I just picked up a Shimano technium 10'6" mooching rod for $125.00 regular $159.00 and a Amundson TMX4 mooching reel and you have a killer set up. Even a cheaper Daiwa mooching reel works great with a nice long rod. I personally believe with the long rod it gives you more control and spring which helps you stay hooked up on salmon.

That's funny because I was looking at that exact set up about a month ago, really like the Technium stuff. I might make a trip there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

EZM
08-08-2013, 09:16 PM
The C4 will hold up and work just fine ............mine has landed many big lakers, salmon and Gerhard rainbows ............. no problem whatsoever.

BeeGuy
08-08-2013, 09:34 PM
EZM, do you use the stock handle?

Erik
08-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Lots of guides are going to Penn level wind for trolling in the salt now just for ease of use. The Abu Garcia 7000 will work fine for trolling, river fishing etc.

Shudder! After working 4 seasons at a Salmon resort, the Penns have come to be known for quality issues. I have never seen so many broken reels. It was a short-lived lesson in how saving an extra few dollars was unwise.

After dismantling an Abu, I realized their gears are plastic. Lovely looking reels, and in older models they did have metal gears, but you wouldn't catch me using one. I have thought of owning one for the purpose of baitcasting, however.

Shimano has nice reels in both level-wind and single action. Like others, I recommend a knuckle buster; it is the Canadian way. If you want to go all fancy you could look at Islanders. Or search around for one of the old Daiwa 175's...bargain reels for mooching, if you can find one.

Erik
08-09-2013, 12:03 AM

The Shimano composite mooching reels are the best in class. Way better than the Daiwa, though a little pricier. No opinion on the Amundson, but I will say the Shimano has been in use by lodges for dozens of years. All the outfits on the west use either Shimano or Islander; there are few compromises.

Lefty-Canuck
08-09-2013, 07:29 AM
The Shimano composite mooching reels are the best in class. Way better than the Daiwa, though a little pricier. No opinion on the Amundson, but I will say the Shimano has been in use by lodges for dozens of years. All the outfits on the west use either Shimano or Islander; there are few compromises.

What about the Trophy Tyee XL reels?......that's what the guide I fished with this week had for his gear. I heard you can put Islander internals in them?

They seemed like a nice reel in the short time unused them.

LC

Kurt505
08-09-2013, 07:46 AM
At $500+ the islander isn't an option until I decide to retire. The setup will only be used two, maybe three trips a year. That's the problem with knuckle busters, not a lot in the $200-$300 range. I've heard good things about the composite shimmano's, cheap and durable is what I was told. I wanted something a bit nicer but it seems the islander is one of the few options, along with possibly the amundson.

BeeGuy
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Shudder! After working 4 seasons at a Salmon resort, the Penns have come to be known for quality issues. I have never seen so many broken reels. It was a short-lived lesson in how saving an extra few dollars was unwise.

After dismantling an Abu, I realized their gears are plastic. Lovely looking reels, and in older models they did have metal gears, but you wouldn't catch me using one. I have thought of owning one for the purpose of baitcasting, however.

Shimano has nice reels in both level-wind and single action. Like others, I recommend a knuckle buster; it is the Canadian way. If you want to go all fancy you could look at Islanders. Or search around for one of the old Daiwa 175's...bargain reels for mooching, if you can find one.

It depends on what model of Abu you get.

All my Abu's have full brass gearing in the crank, drag etc.

Just make sure it says made in Sweden and isn't one of the Taiwanese models (BCX etc.)

OP, the 6600 has 15lbs of drag, the 7000's have 18lbs.

It will handle lots of salmon, but there is always the chance to get spanked by a true monster.

Mike_W
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
What about the Trophy Tyee XL reels?......that's what the guide I fished with this week had for his gear. I heard you can put Islander internals in them?

They seemed like a nice reel in the short time unused them.

LC

Those trophy reels seem pretty good one of the guide I know used them and really liked them and they were right around $300. Also don't know much about them but Rapala came out with some single actions that Mike Mitchell uses on his show I still think they run in the 2-300 range

The Diawa and Shimano single actions work but never use an Islander as they will instantly make you realize the others are junk. The buttery smooth finely tunable drag on the Islanders are gorgeous to work with there is nothing like the sound and fight of a big spring on an Islander!! I run MR3's and could never use anything else with enjoyment!!

As for the comment about salmon having soft mouths???? They are not Rainbows or Kokanee. Springs and Coho have big tough mouths IMO.

To the OP never run braid for salmon especially with a stiff fast action rod you need some stretch otherwise they will throw that hook much easier.

On the salt I run 25lb main line and 40lb leader line typically Maxima UG some leaders I will run Fluro.
If your reel has limited line cap you could probably get away with a 20lb main line but make sure to at least run a 30lb leader ...big springs have big teeth and if your fighting a fish for 20 min they can chew through cheap thin line like nothing.

As mentioned level winds are for bottom fish and single actions are the only accepted method on the west coast of Canada for salmon.
You can use whatever you prefer but prepare for some "jabs"

Have fun either way and good luck!!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/PortHardy2010021_zps09f2ccd4.jpg (http://s140.photobucket.com/user/Yukon_Jack/media/PortHardy2010021_zps09f2ccd4.jpg.html)

Lefty-Canuck
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
For those reading this.....be aware the Trophy Tyee XL is only available in RH retrieve....thank goodness I am butt-backwards when it comes to fishing :)

LC

Scott h
08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I've been using my C4 for quite a few seasons and it's landed it's share of salmon, however most have been in the river. I have used it in the saltwater for buzz bombing however, with good results. Just rinse it well afterwards. Most of my salmon rods have mooching reels with the newest ones being the Diawa m1 plus. They are not an islander but for about $100 they are not a bad option.

EZM
08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
EZM, do you use the stock handle?

Yes I do. Definitely starts to hurt if you are into lots of bigger fish but that's a good problem to have.

I inherited an older Penn which is on my heavier set up - bigger handle and a little tougher for the big ones - having said that - the C4 has not failed me yet ........ for $ 140 it's the best value out there in my opinion.

I also run two Okuma Magda pro's as my back up set ups ........ not as good as the C4 or the Penn but they get the job done with very little binding.

BeeGuy
08-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I find the stock handle on the C4 a little narrow in it's radius given the 6.3:1 gear ratio.

love it though. probably upgrade to one of the other handle styles once I get rid of this big fish tackle in the B&S

Kurt505
08-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Well, I took a trip around town today, settled on a 10'6" Technium, put the Amundson TMX-4 and spooled it up with 25lb maxima. The reel was a bit over $300 but it really seems like it'll hold up well. Now all I got to do is actuall catch a fish!!!

EZM
08-09-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't own a mooching reel and probably don't appreciate them for the advantages they provide ( although I could not list what those advantages might be ).

I fish salmon ( or big Gerhards ) maybe a few times a year at most and have never had an issue using my gear.

I am, however, quite curious to hear why these type of reels are s popular out west when out east they are not nearly as prevalent.

Lefty-Canuck
08-09-2013, 10:44 PM
I don't own a mooching reel and probably don't appreciate them for the advantages they provide ( although I could not list what those advantages might be ).

I am, however, quite curious to hear why these type of reels are s popular out west when out east they are not nearly as prevalent.

Less parts and easier to maintain.... A bit more challenging and I like fighting large salmon with a fly reel or something similar....I also like the added drag control that palming the reel allows for....and did I mention they are fun to use?

LC :)

Jamie
08-10-2013, 01:35 AM
One word

ISLANDER

Nothing else compares.

Jamie

Mike_W
08-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Less parts and easier to maintain.... A bit more challenging and I like fighting large salmon with a fly reel or something similar....I also like the added drag control that palming the reel allows for....and did I mention they are fun to use?

Agreed!
It's the nostalgia and single action challenge also every turn the fish takes out you got to turn back on .... It takes more skill to catch the fish as you need to let go of the reel when the fish runs and know when to start reeling back in.
I also find that it's a more enjoyable fight as you have to stop reeling if the fish runs and you actually get to relax and enjoy it more!!

Kurt505
08-10-2013, 10:27 AM
One word

ISLANDER

Nothing else compares.

Jamie

Ya, but look at it this way, if you need to buy a cordless drill/driver set for around the house, are you going to buy a $650 brushless Milwaukee or a $275 dewalt?

I live and work in Alberta, make it to the coast a couple times a year. Maybe in another 10-15yrs I'll be making the trip west more often, often enough to justify a $1000 mooching set up. For now, a $500 set up will get me by.

huntsfurfish
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM

I fish salmon ( or big Gerhards ) maybe a few times a year at most and have never had an issue using my gear.

yes easier to maintain Also
No Engineers West of Alberta- BC a little behind the times.:)

Agreed!
It's the nostalgia and single action challenge also every turn the fish takes out you got to turn back on .... It takes more skill to catch the fish as you need to let go of the reel when the fish runs and know when to start reeling back in.
I also find that it's a more enjoyable fight as you have to stop reeling if the fish runs and you actually get to relax and enjoy it more!!

I think it is more a fun factor/nostalgia than skill:)
If it was skill why would guides and resorts use them with rookies? They want their clients to land fish.:)

Jamie
08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
yes easier to maintain Also
No Engineers West of Alberta- BC a little behind the times.:)

I think it is more a fun factor/nostalgia than skill:)
If it was skill why would guides and resorts use them with rookies? They want their clients to land fish.:)

Rookies can learn. We have a program that teaches them.
Single actions are more sporty. Once we teach most people to use them, they never want to go back.

Personally I owned 2 Islander MR2's before opening up Great Pacific Salmon Lodge. At first I would go to resorts that had those plastic reels. Then I got the chance to fish with a Islander. WOW, what a difference. That caused me to start shopping my guides based on the level of equipment they supplied. I noticed the outfits that supplied Islanders also supplied the level of service and quality of boats and guides I wished to be associated with.

Watch out for the guides who fish with 2x4's, chain for line and winches for reels. I wanted to experiance my trip, not slaughter fish.

The trip has to be everything. From a nice Loge to great service to fantastic boats. It's not all about overflowing coolers.
Jamie

browning375
08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Well, I took a trip around town today, settled on a 10'6" Technium, put the Amundson TMX-4 and spooled it up with 25lb maxima. The reel was a bit over $300 but it really seems like it'll hold up well. Now all I got to do is actuall catch a fish!!!

you will be happy with this rig! I really enjoy mine, thats why i had to buy another one. Don't get me wrong i would love an islander myself but just cant choke down the $650 price tag for the reel. I put my Amundson side by side with my buddies Islander rig up and he could not find a flaw in it, he used it all day without one complaint.

Good luck on your trip, we are heading out to Nootka in a couple of days to test out the new set up. Will post when we get back.

Kurt505
08-10-2013, 01:13 PM
you will be happy with this rig! I really enjoy mine, thats why i had to buy another one. Don't get me wrong i would love an islander myself but just cant choke down the $650 price tag for the reel. I put my Amundson side by side with my buddies Islander rig up and he could not find a flaw in it, he used it all day without one complaint.

Good luck on your trip, we are heading out to Nootka in a couple of days to test out the new set up. Will post when we get back.

The things I like about the Amundson are, 1) Canadian made 2) can be switched from right to left 3) the drag system 4) seem really well built, smooth feel to them 5) they cost closer to $350 than $650. When I buy an islander it will be a 3, or maybe the 5 by the time I'm ready to put down that kind of money. Funny thing is, is that my walleye set up, which is my most used set up, is only worth around $450, it's probably my cheapest set up, next to my good ol' multi purpose back up ugly stick/spyrex 4000. It's due for an upgrade, and I'll be upgrading that before the islander hits my man cave. The set up I have now will be a good hand me down for one of my sons when they take the trip west with me!

Good luck out in Nootka, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

huntsfurfish
08-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Rookies can learn. We have a program that teaches them.
Single actions are more sporty. Once we teach most people to use them, they never want to go back.

Personally I owned 2 Islander MR2's before opening up Great Pacific Salmon Lodge. At first I would go to resorts that had those plastic reels. Then I got the chance to fish with a Islander. WOW, what a difference. That caused me to start shopping my guides based on the level of equipment they supplied. I noticed the outfits that supplied Islanders also supplied the level of service and quality of boats and guides I wished to be associated with.

Watch out for the guides who fish with 2x4's, chain for line and winches for reels. I wanted to experiance my trip, not slaughter fish.

The trip has to be everything. From a nice Loge to great service to fantastic boats. It's not all about overflowing coolers.
Jamie

They are not difficult to learn, fun factor a little higher:). I think the average user will lose more fish with one. They definitely don't pick up line very fast.

Kurt505
08-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Anyone interested in an Abu Garcia C4 6601(left hand reel) spooled up with 40lb braid, used about 4-5 times? I'm thinking about getting the 7000 or a Calcutta 700. I'll let it go cheap, it's mint like just out of the box condition.

huntsfurfish
08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Anyone interested in an Abu Garcia C4 6601(left hand reel) spooled up with 40lb braid, used about 4-5 times? I'm thinking about getting the 7000 or a Calcutta 700. I'll let it go cheap, it's mint like just out of the box condition.

Should put in Fishing Items for Sale section.

Kurt505
08-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Should put in Fishing Items for Sale section.

Good plan. I'm taking pics right now.

huntsfurfish
08-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Good plan. I'm taking pics right now.

Sounds good, have to check it out.