PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing with downrigger

Lund rebel
08-08-2013, 06:51 PM
I am heading up to carson this week and was wondering if its worth getting down riggers for fishing in alberta. I usually troll a willow leaf and hot shot with decent success. Was wondering if its worth using a downrigger and fishing at 20 feet or so is worth it or just to use my current setup. I see a upside of being able to fish at a constant depth but might be more of a hassle than anything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Speckle55
08-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I have 2

David:)

fish gunner
08-08-2013, 08:01 PM
The ability to follow the thermoclyne will be of great benifit in the warmer months. Good electronic's are a must. With a down rigger you can fish a much lighter outfit than if you are pulling big lead to get to depth.

Lund rebel
08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Well I got the good fish finder now just learning it still I might pick one up while they are on sale and try it out looks like might be easier than buying lures to fish multiple depths can drag down a rapala with a small lip to deeper depths. Can it be used for that ?

fish gunner
08-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Well I got the good fish finder now just learning it still I might pick one up while they are on sale and try it out looks like might be easier than buying lures to fish multiple depths can drag down a rapala with a small lip to deeper depths. Can it be used for that ?

Sure can,do it often on big lakes. Any low drag lure will work with light line. Heavy drag lures need heavier line to stay in some clips. I personally dont like scotty style pin releases.

EZM
08-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Carson Lake does not require downriggers.

The rainbows are sitting between 20-30 feet this time of year and a 2oz bottom bouncer, a 3 oz mooching sinker will get you down far enough.

The other issue is you will need to use small release clips (the ones made for kokanees) in order for the small fish to release your clip.

The lake is not much deeper than 30 feet in most places and having to crank up a ball to avoid shallow spots could be a chore.

I'd say run a deeper diving lure or a inline sinker - problem solved.

Lund rebel
08-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Yeah I will probably pass for this trip as I will be taking the 12 footer to hit up Pegasus lake and emerald. Thanks everybody