PDA

View Full Version : 7' rod?

jr_80
08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I wanted to set up a rod for pike and have my other for smaller fish such as trout and perch. Went to Bass Pro and salesman sold me on a 7 ft rod over a 6.6. On my 10th pike today the Shimano reel snapped in half on the column. So now I'm going back to give them a piece of my mind, and thinking I'm gonna go back to a 6,6. I know the rod length has nothing to do with the reel breaking but what do others prefer?

Lund rebel
08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
My pike rod is 7'4" got a little more length to make sure I can outcast the girlfriend :thinking-006: .

I find it awkward to use for any sort of jigging or if I try to yard on the rod as I pull it in when standing in the boat and I am around 6'4. Kinda depends on what u feel comfortable with.

JohninAB
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Let me get this straight, your reel breaks and you are going to go back to the store to give them a piece of your mind for selling you a 7' rod? Would seem more logical to write Shimano and complain about their reel breaking.

When throwing big lures I use an 8' St Croix. When throwing lures under an ounce, I mainly use a 7' 11" rod.

fisho_badyk
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Which Shimano reel,(and price?) and what brand of rod?

fish gunner
08-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Boo.

jr_80
08-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Sahara 2500. Paid $80.00. On bass pro TRS70MHS-2 graphite 2 peice graphite rod.

EZM
08-08-2013, 08:57 PM
I wanted to set up a rod for pike and have my other for smaller fish such as trout and perch. Went to Bass Pro and salesman sold me on a 7 ft rod over a 6.6. On my 10th pike today the Shimano reel snapped in half on the column. So now I'm going back to give them a piece of my mind, and thinking I'm gonna go back to a 6,6. I know the rod length has nothing to do with the reel breaking but what do others prefer?

Wuh?

Don't understand what yelling at the salesguy will accomplish. They will exchange the product ........ no questions asked.

As far as rod length - a 7 footer is the shortest rod I'd use for most applications. For Pike a 7' to 8' medium to medium heavy with fast action is perfect................. ironically ........... the same rod the saleman sold you that you are going to yell at.

After you are done yelling at him say "thank-you for the rod recommendation" "it's exactly the right rod for this application".

That will confuse the $%^& out of him ............. just like this post.

jr_80
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Wuh?

Don't understand what yelling at the salesguy will accomplish. They will exchange the product ........ no questions asked.

As far as rod length - a 7 footer is the shortest rod I'd use for most applications. For Pike a 7' to 8' medium to medium heavy with fast action is perfect................. ironically ........... the same rod the saleman sold you that you are going to yell at.

After you are done yelling at him say "thank-you for the rod recommendation" "it's exactly the right rod for this application".

That will confuse the $%^& out of him ............. just like this post.

Did I ever say I was going to yell at the sales guy? No. I said I was going to express my concern that perhaps this is not enough reel for pike since it simply snapped. My original post is asking the merit of a 7 ft rod over a 6' 6" rod. Sorry to have confused you but perhaps your level of intellect allows for you to be confused easily.

Nova
08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
If the reel snapped, it is probably a casting/metal defect. 2500 series reels are pretty standard unless you are looking for a faster retrieve.

The Great White Hype
08-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Did I ever say I was going to yell at the sales guy? No. I said I was going to express my concern that perhaps this is not enough reel for pike since it simply snapped. My original post is asking the merit of a 7 ft rod over a 6' 6" rod. Sorry to have confused you but perhaps your level of intellect allows for you to be confused easily.

The reel snapping has nothing to do with the rod. Likely a defect. I know a bunch of people with that same reel, and it has been great for them... 7' is fine for your application, and the reel is a fine choice.

Geezle
08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Did I ever say I was going to yell at the sales guy? No. I said I was going to express my concern that perhaps this is not enough reel for pike since it simply snapped. My original post is asking the merit of a 7 ft rod over a 6' 6" rod.

Your reel breaking has nothing to do with it being 'not enough reel for pike'. If that were the case there would be a lot more broken reels out there. You most likely got a reel that was defective from the get-go, or perhaps had been damaged during the shipping process. No need to go unload on the sales guy.

Sorry to have confused you but perhaps your level of intellect allows for you to be confused easily.
Was that really necessary? :rolleyes:

ETOWNCANUCK
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I dunno,

I have a 10 yr old 7ft Shimano Stimulus rod not worth $10 paired with a $30.00 Sienna 2500 reel that I bought this year for it and I use it for pike and I Have not had any problems with it.

In your OP you said you would go back and give them a piece of your mind because the reel broke. Also your thinking of going back to a 6'6" instead of the 7. Both of those lines do not seem to make sense. The longer rod would be better I would think. The reel has nothing to do with the rod and vice versa.
Shimano has a good warranty and I am sure replacing it would not be a problem. So why would you give him a piece of your mind?

Nickote316
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Why do you want to go back to a 6.6?

AK47
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
7 ft is short. I use 9ft rod and used to have 10 ft spinning rod for pike and zander ( local walleye ) fishing back in Europe.

fish gunner
08-09-2013, 11:06 AM
7 ft is short. I use 9ft rod and used to have 10 ft spinning rod for pike and zander ( local walleye ) fishing back in Europe.

×2 used a 13'carp rod for pike all the time. Buddies on kootaney lake were gobsmacked when I could throw a 10-12grm waggler further than they could throw an oz of lead.

YeeHaw
08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Good to see im not the only fool that uses a 10" spinning rod for :)pike.

AK47
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Good to see im not the only fool that uses a 10" spinning rod for :)pike.

Since you ( and I ) did not switch to short rods it must mean we are really fools or geniuses;)