PDA

View Full Version : Boat cover support #1

Bjay
08-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Boat cover photos as promised. Here are 8 photos out of 12. I will post the remaining 4 next. I believe the wood we used for the canvas supports was hardwood. It doesn't have to be hardwood. the strips are 1/4 inch thick and 1 @1/4 inch wide and are glued with waterproof wood glue with about 4 or 5 coats of exterior varnish. The strips are made first then glued and screwed onto the end pieces. The end pieces are screwed top and bottom or they would split. The strips were made on a mold. The center of the strips were held in in place then the ends were bent to shape. You will have to play with this as the supports sit in different places along the boat and the width is different along the length of the boat. When done the strips including end pieces are only a little longer than the width of the boat with just enough tension to hold them in place. I don't know how much snow load the supports would take as I remove the snow as it falls on the boat. The supports are very flexible. all I have to do to remove a support is push in on a support and it pops up and off. I does take a lot of time for the first support but the the rest are easy. My boat is 15 foot 6 inches long. Any questions contact me. PS the blue things on the side of the boat are my rod holders.
Columbia old guy