PDA

View Full Version : Alberta angler of the year farce

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Any one else out there sick and tired of watching year after year (for at least a decade now I'm guessing) a pike winning angler of the year?

It's beyond proposperous in my opinion. Just because the provincial record pike was short and fat pike wins year after year.

The provincial record walleye was long, like 37 inch I believe. So the next time a walleye wins it will have to be a new record for the province.

Now say someone gets a 13 lb Brookie, or a 18 lb bull trout..... They wouldn't even get recognition in the regs when setting new provincial records. The 21+lb brown from 2010 that became the new provincial record doesn't even get honorable mention for "angler of the year" on a year a 27 lb pike won it a 21+lb brown trout gets nothing.

Now I'm no pro snake charmer but in my experience they are often abundant, aggressive and easy to catch. And the way I was raised we avoided them as best we could so we could focus on eyes (or pickerel if you ask dad). I've caught three pike now @ 40+ inches. Targeting other species I've caught all three of them! I've probably caught pike on damn near evey lure I own. Maybe not giant phenom pike but I find they are generally the easiest fish to get on the line. They are good fighters no doubt I can't deny them that. But the challenge is much lessor when your fishing with steel or titanium and you can just horse the thing in.

I've fought for years to catch big fish. And in my experience pike fishing is not even a challenge compared to the miles I've put on looking for bulls or browns.

What is most absurd to me is that the records are based on weight. But for this award they go by length in comparison to the current prov. record. How could this possibly have seemed like a good idea to anyone?? I understand for C&R lengths are needed. So do a seperate award like afga does.

The awards are nothing special considering how much money and ppl this province has. But it's the prestigious title of angler of the year that I envy! And I look at the snake in the 2012 winner and think to myself I would rather catch either of the walleye/rainbow over that skinny looking snake anyday. Maybe just a personal preference.

No offense to the winner it's a great catch. But this is supposed to be angler of the year! Not pike angler of the year!

All my two cents of course. Anyone feeling me on this? Let's hear your thoughts folks :shark:

AppleJax
08-11-2013, 04:37 PM
How about judging angler of the year not off one fish. Instead the years worth of fishing accomplishments. Just an idea. Possibly a forum vote?

Lefty-Canuck
08-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I caught a 44inch pike on the flyrod that likely would have won or been in the running for Alberta Angler of The Year the year I caught it....but honestly I didn't enter because having that title doesn't really excite me at all.

Personally, I honestly am not a fan of books or awards for shooting game or catching fish.....it causes some people to follow poor and sometimes illegal activities in order to be the "best"....a lot of fishing/hunting is right place at right time....

I just enjoy catching fish and hunting and a congrats from friends and family is enough of an attaboy for me.

LC

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 04:44 PM
How about judging angler of the year not off one fish. Instead the years worth of fishing accomplishments. Just an idea. Possibly a forum vote?

I fully agree AJ this would be much more representative of "angler of the year"

With that said if that one fish is a provincial record that would likely get my vote.

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I caught a 44inch pike on the flyrod that likely would have won or been in the running for Alberta Angler of The Year the year I caught it....but honestly I didn't enter because having that title doesn't really excite me at all.

Personally, I honestly am not a fan of books or awards for shooting game or catching fish.....it causes some people to follow poor and sometimes illegal activities in order to be the "best"....a lot of fishing/hunting is right place at right time....

I just enjoy catching fish and hunting and a congrats from friends and family is enough of an attaboy for me.

LC

A great attitude and outlook no doubt.
I have a similar outlook on Boone and crock (of it) they should have to do a polygraph these days that book is so tainted.

You should have entered your pike that's a good snake especially on the fly, mighta won some money and a free fishing trip, two things I'm guessing you do like :)

Thanks for sharing your opinion

AppleJax
08-11-2013, 04:53 PM

LC

If you entered that fish and won would you decline the free fly-in fishing trip?

WayneChristie
08-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Im not sure what to think, Ive beat records length wise, but I do it for the love of fishing, not for recognition. that said, if I do happen to break a record, Id still be pretty damn proud of it, and then again, it would still be what, 20 % skill, and 80% being in the right place at the right time and sitting on a pile of horseshoes! Pike may be as easy as my little sister, but not every time , these winners do deserve the recognition they get. if it was easy we would all have 50 inch pike hanging on the wall.

WayneChristie
08-11-2013, 04:58 PM
oh, and if you want her number, its gonna cost you bigtime :bad_boys_20:

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Not certain I follow, who is she? Lol

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Im not sure what to think, Ive beat records length wise, but I do it for the love of fishing, not for recognition. that said, if I do happen to break a record, Id still be pretty damn proud of it, and then again, it would still be what, 20 % skill, and 80% being in the right place at the right time and sitting on a pile of horseshoes! Pike may be as easy as my little sister, but not every time , these winners do deserve the recognition they get. if it was easy we would all have 50 inch pike hanging on the wall.

I agree, but.....Still doesn't explain why it isn't called "pike angler of the year"
Yes the big ones are always smarter, they don't get big being stupid.

I got it now haha I sure hope she doesn't see your post or she might b a bit upset ;)

Tthompson20
08-11-2013, 05:34 PM
I agree, shouldn't be just a big pike to win, I've put on well over a thousand km this year trying to get a sturgeon.. Just one lol, and I know they're bigger than pike on average alone. Its like the powers that be don't keep the actual "angler" in the award... Anyone can throw out a giant paddle tail, or herring bait and catch jack, but to find something harder to catch is the angling part.

JohninAB
08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
At the end of the day it will not matter how you determine the "Angler of the Year" someone will come on to this forum or another forum and complain about it. That the criteria are silly, where I live I do not have the opportunity to fish all the species etc etc.

Speckle55
08-11-2013, 06:06 PM
no picture no money:snapoutofit:

;;;;

David:)

Lefty-Canuck
08-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Pics or it didn't happen :)

LC :)

kinwahkly
08-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Really who cares?

WayneChristie
08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I agree, shouldn't be just a big pike to win, I've put on well over a thousand km this year trying to get a sturgeon.. Just one lol, and I know they're bigger than pike on average alone. Its like the powers that be don't keep the actual "angler" in the award... Anyone can throw out a giant paddle tail, or herring bait and catch jack, but to find something harder to catch is the angling part.

where are you driving? might be able to save you a few miles :)

Speckle55
08-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Angler of the Year in the reg's book is put on by Namur Lodge and AO mag
it is a PR program that they run

it also is the same as Afga rules as it is the highest to the record only its theirs contest is just for the three species that they have chosen and it is only measure in length of fish per species and the closest to the Alberta Record length wins Master Angler contest .. 2 of those species are at Namur Lodge

its their contest and promotion

I have won 2000$ grand for a contest put on by Berkley Line in 1986 by catching a World Record Line Class on their Line and using their Rod.. their rules their contest and was as this is a promotion or PR

Alberta Fish and Game Assoc has the weight as per the closest to the Alberta record in any species will be the Master Angler of the Year(I was in 1984 with my Brook Trout)

FYI ... I have a World Record on Fly Fishing(FWFH) and a 8# line class WR for Lake Whitefish on Fly Fishing this year and have 2 more Line Class WR pending.. but that has nothing to do with Alberta Fishing contests

David:)

fish gunner
08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Ive beat the rainbow once with a member , c&r couple of pics and down the hole . Buddy beat the walleye,too cold in winter for pics . Would be happy to win free stuff but its not worth not releasing a hog . Imo. If kootany bows counted id spend more time worring abt it.

Tthompson20
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I've been up and down the nsr around Edmonton, Devon, and genesee. Have caught almost everything but the dinosaur:( please do tell a hole for me to try lol.

FisherPotch
08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I've been up and down the nsr around Edmonton, Devon, and genesee. Have caught almost everything but the dinosaur:( please do tell a hole for me to try lol.

Pm sent

Safety D
08-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I agree 21 pound brown shouda took it. I think Wayne Christie should get it for all the Giants he catches. I vote for WC !!!!

WayneChristie
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
I agree 21 pound brown shouda took it. I think Wayne Christie should get it for all the Giants he catches. I vote for WC !!!!

Dude if you put my ugly mug in the regs even less people would read them!:scared0018::)

waterninja
08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
my 2 cents. i imagine that whatever criteria is used to judge this type of fishing contest there would always be some detracters. i know that i wasn't happy that the ice shanty online tourney has 3 species that can't be found in alberta. i didn't complain but did ask if maybe next year they add rainbow trout.
i suppose that using measurements of length and or weight is probably the easiest way to judge as long as pics. are clear. it also allows for catch and release.

on a side note i do feel that anyone who has already caught 126 sturgeon and tagged 146 this year already, deserves some kind of mention in the alberta fishing regs. that is something that AO members could possibly make happen by contacting esrd/afg, or whoever is in charge as to what is printed in the regs.

WayneChristie
08-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice thought ninja but I probably put in 5 times the hours anyone else does to get my numbers so that doesnt make it any more special than any other angler. Id rather see people contact srd about getting a sturgeon handling section in the regs every year.

McLeod
08-12-2013, 10:21 AM
The REAL ANGLER OF THE YEAR AWARD goes to the person who catches the fish closest to the Alberta record by percentage of weight according to what species the fish is.
In 2011 the Brown trout record resulted in the OFFICIAL angler of the year.

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Dude if you put my ugly mug in the regs even less people would read them!:scared0018::)

Hahaha

I have to agree Safety D, besides the impressive catches he is also doing things for the sport such as the sturgeon tagging. I think people that go over and above, trying to better this province or its fisheries should get consideration. Or someone that takes boat loads of children out for an experience and to help children learn. Or someone that takes the less fortunate or disabled to go fishing. Volunteering, etc.

Or at least there should be an award for people with moral dedication like that

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM
The REAL ANGLER OF THE YEAR AWARD goes to the person who catches the fish closest to the Alberta record by percentage of weight according to what species the fish is.
In 2011 the Brown trout record resulted in the OFFICIAL angler of the year.

That would be the master angler award through afga. Not what this thread is about.

BigPikeHunter
08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I understand how you feel and agree with you on many points, however, I will throw in my two cents since I was the 2012 Alberta Angler of the Year for the contest you are referring to.

In any contest, there are always going to be people who think it should be run differently. Personally, in the length vs weight argument, I am for the length. How can anyone judge the weight of something, through pictures? I think there is a lot more opportunity to cheat if it is run by weight. And when there is a significant prize on the line such as the fly in fishing package, I think length is the way to award it through pictures.

As for the species of fish selected for this contest, sure it could be any, but its not. People enjoy fishing for different species everywhere. How do you decide which fish to include and which not to? It was said in the thread that this is a publicity contest, I agree. It's their contest and we have to follow their rules.

I love fishing for pike, it is my fish of choice. I don't consider them "Snakes". Their latin name is "Water Wolf". Personally I think that is a much better depiction of them. I have fished all my life and consider myself a pike hunter. Anyone can throw a hook in the water where pike are and catch one, but it's taken me many years of study and understanding to consistently catch really large pike. I caught that beauty early in the spring, right after their spawning season. If that would have been caught pre-winter it would have been 30+ lbs. I have the pleasure of being last years Angler of the Year and wear that honor proudly. Any large fish is hard to catch, that's why they are large.

In closing, I believe that this contest is designed to promote fishing. I can remember as a kid and young adult flipping through the regulations and coming across the page with the anglers of the year and thinking "Wow, I would love to have my picture in there someday". If you are wanting to promote fishing, why not have the winner be from a species that is probably the most abundant species in Alberta, if not Canada. Little kids can catch them most places easily and dream of one day having their picture in the regs.

WayneChristie
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Hahaha

I have to agree Safety D, besides the impressive catches he is also doing things for the sport such as the sturgeon tagging. I think people that go over and above, trying to better this province or its fisheries should get consideration. Or someone that takes boat loads of children out for an experience and to help children learn. Or someone that takes the less fortunate or disabled to go fishing. Volunteering, etc.

Or at least there should be an award for people with moral dedication like that

I believe Safety D has been tagging sturgeon for a long time. There are a lot of people involved with these awesome fish

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
I believe Safety D has been tagging sturgeon for a long time. There are a lot of people involved with these awesome fish

If they would let me fish with two rods and tag them I would as well

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I understand how you feel and agree with you on many points, however, I will throw in my two cents since I was the 2012 Alberta Angler of the Year for the contest you are referring to.

In any contest, there are always going to be people who think it should be run differently. Personally, in the length vs weight argument, I am for the length. How can anyone judge the weight of something, through pictures? I think there is a lot more opportunity to cheat if it is run by weight. And when there is a significant prize on the line such as the fly in fishing package, I think length is the way to award it through pictures.

As for the species of fish selected for this contest, sure it could be any, but its not. People enjoy fishing for different species everywhere. How do you decide which fish to include and which not to? It was said in the thread that this is a publicity contest, I agree. It's their contest and we have to follow their rules.

I love fishing for pike, it is my fish of choice. I don't consider them "Snakes". Their latin name is "Water Wolf". Personally I think that is a much better depiction of them. I have fished all my life and consider myself a pike hunter. Anyone can throw a hook in the water where pike are and catch one, but it's taken me many years of study and understanding to consistently catch really large pike. I caught that beauty early in the spring, right after their spawning season. If that would have been caught pre-winter it would have been 30+ lbs. I have the pleasure of being last years Angler of the Year and wear that honor proudly. Any large fish is hard to catch, that's why they are large.

In closing, I believe that this contest is designed to promote fishing. I can remember as a kid and young adult flipping through the regulations and coming across the page with the anglers of the year and thinking "Wow, I would love to have my picture in there someday". If you are wanting to promote fishing, why not have the winner be from a species that is probably the most abundant species in Alberta, if not Canada. Little kids can catch them most places easily and dream of one day having their picture in the regs.

I understand the pr side if things and in no way am I trying to take away from your accomplishment. And im not gonna tell anyone they are running the contest incorrectly either. If it was myself i wouldnt be using a prestigious title like "angler of the year" for a contest that applys to only a small portion of the anglers in the province. It's biased towards pike QUITE obviously! I just don't even look at it as a contest for angler of the year when a pike has won 10+ years in a row. If I was dead set on winning this I would fish for nothing but pike for this reason. Folk like yourself have a massive advantage in this contest because by choice you like to fish for pike. I like to be challenged and I'm not saying catching big pike isn't a challenge because it is. It took me over 300 hours to catch three brown trout this year (targeting big ones) two of them small and one was big. If it took people 300+ hours to catch 3 pike I have a feeling many would not be on the water getting skunked. in the last 5 years ive csught 3, 40 inch pike...... not even fishing for pike!! One of which was on a size 10 or 12 fly barely lip hooked. Now that was some challenging angling, lots of luck too because if his teeth touched the 7 lb line..... I wouldn't be bragging. Honestly over a decade since a rainbow or walleye have won and I find that obsurd.

Crazy length on your pike no doubt, it would be a tank if caught at the right time of year.

The land slide of feed back I've gotten on this topic off forum is STAGGERING! I'm guessing ppl are just afraid to chime in on an open AO forum and share there negative thoughts on how this contest is done.

My opinion on the cheating thing..... If the fish is kept that would be when it would be hardest to cheat.

pikester
08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
FisherPotch, I have to agree that I never even gave a second thought to the qualification process or results of that particular contest or others like it until you brought it up! I guess because I have never had any ambition to enter it hasn't been a concern even though I have nailed a couple pike & walleye that most certainly would have won or been runner-up had I entered, I can see how it would peeve an angler who entered a worthy fish other than pike & didn't win.

Not to defend pike entries completely but I have been fishing all species for close to 40 years & my personal experience is that anyone can catch hammer handle pike anytime but fish over 17lbs are a completely different animal in Southern Alberta anyway! I have caught as many 7lb-13lb walleye (while spending about 70% less time fishing for them compared to pike) as I have 18-30lb pike. I guess it depends on how you rate 7-13lb walleye on the trophy standard, I don't know?

There are no doubt many nice trout, walleye, & sturgeon which should win that title more often for sure though.

Safety D
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
I have been tagging since 1993. Probably one of the longest serving taggers out there. I dont tag anymore. Its getting really goofy on the river now. I remember the days you would never see another boat on the river. I miss those days..... Some of my spots there are 4 or 5 boats in them....:argue2:

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I have been tagging since 1993. Probably one of the longest serving taggers out there. I dont tag anymore. Its getting really goofy on the river now. I remember the days you would never see another boat on the river. I miss those days..... Some of my spots there are 4 or 5 boats in them....:argue2:

I imagine you logged those spots into the data base? I've heard those with the special Geon license have access to a data base with location and size of where tagged fish were caught.

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 03:58 PM
FisherPotch, I have to agree that I never even gave a second thought to the qualification process or results of that particular contest or others like it until you brought it up! I guess because I have never had any ambition to enter it hasn't been a concern even though I have nailed a couple pike & walleye that most certainly would have won or been runner-up had I entered, I can see how it would peeve an angler who entered a worthy fish other than pike & didn't win.

Not to defend pike entries completely but I have been fishing all species for close to 40 years & my personal experience is that anyone can catch hammer handle pike anytime but fish over 17lbs are a completely different animal in Southern Alberta anyway! I have caught as many 7lb-13lb walleye (while spending about 70% less time fishing for them compared to pike) as I have 18-30lb pike. I guess it depends on how you rate 7-13lb walleye on the trophy standard, I don't know?

There are no doubt many nice trout, walleye, & sturgeon which should win that title more often for sure though.

I guess I should state that I've never entered a fish into this contest as I likely come across bitter from defeat.

I think they are a different animal up here too! I find with all lunkers of all species they behave much differently than the little ones. I've seen guys struggle even to catch small walleye though.

With pike being the top predator I suspect on most fisheries with a good healthy staggering of big, medium and small fish; there is likely less lunker pike than there is lunker walleye. Also with harvest of walleye being closed or reduced on many lakes the pike to walleye ratio is likely in favor of walleye. Especially on lakes closed to walleye harvest and open to keeping pike over a specified length.
That's gonna bring down the large pike ratio without a doubt. Hence making it more challenging to catch the huge pike.

It's the fact that the contest is open to three species and one of them has a massive advantage that I find ubsurd. Not looking to take from anyone's accomplishments here.

fishpro
08-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Some really good points made in this thread. I agree with the general idea of it - the current scoring system is definitely biased towards pike, as is shown by how the winner is almost always a pike.

The best system I have seen was years ago in the Canadian Sportfishing National Championship: 10 categories of fish (1-6 similar species in each category), and your ten longest fish in each scored you points (one point per inch). Whoever had the most points at the end of the year was declared the Angler of the Year. I think something like this would be great to get going in Alberta provided a company was willing to run it and was able to find sponsors.

pikester
08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
No harm done here! The whole topic of fishing contests/tournaments/accolades is an interesting one anyways which can be hottly debated (and has been!) until the end of time. I know a few very good fishermen who have already caught a lifetimes worth of trophy fish but you will rarely, if ever, see their names mentioned in magazines or in the record books because the pleasure & art of catching giant fish is for themselves & close friends they share the water with only.

In all walks of life there are people who quietly know they excell & have a natural talent for what they do; and people who gain most of their pleasure from having their skills & talents broadcast for everyone to admire.

I try not to judge too much!

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 05:17 PM
No harm done here! The whole topic of fishing contests/tournaments/accolades is an interesting one anyways which can be hottly debated (and has been!) until the end of time. I know a few very good fishermen who have already caught a lifetimes worth of trophy fish but you will rarely, if ever, see their names mentioned in magazines or in the record books because the pleasure & art of catching giant fish is for themselves & close friends they share the water with only.

In all walks of life there are people who quietly know they excell & have a natural talent for what they do; and people who gain most of their pleasure from having their skills & talents broadcast for everyone to admire.

Great points pikester. For myself the broadcast and recognition aspect appeals as I fish tourneys and if no one knows who you are no one is gonna sponsor you or make you pro staff.

That's one of the down sides to any of these contests, releasing the name of the fishery to the public. I've never entered anything into any contests. I don't tell my dad half the places I fish because he likes to talk too much lol.

I've been pondering if entering my 16.5 lb brown is a good idea or not and I'm having a serious debate. It will likely get me the brown trout and largest trout on the fly trophys for my club. Possibly master angler for my club and who knows maybe provincial brown or provincial trout on the fly. It is the first and only trout I've kept since I took up fly fishing, it's going on the wall to be preserved and displayed for decades. If its worth exposing the fishery...... That I haven't come to terms with yet.

FisherPotch
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh wait I lied.... I've never entered a fish. My elk won for my club last year.

Secret coulee
08-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Very well said