PDA

View Full Version : Invermere Columbia River

boroumand8
08-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm heading down to invermere tomorrow and I was wondering if there is any good sturgeon (or any sport fish) fishing in the Columbia river (also the kootney river and the two lakes) in that area.

Boroumand8

Walleye101
08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
There are some big Bull Trout in that system. The Kootney river by Canal Flat's holds big Bull's as well as Sturgeon. The Kootney river outside Canal Flats has some beautiful hike in spots that are absoulutely stunning.

epicangler
08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
windermere or columbia lake and river for salmon coming back to multiply and die

boroumand8
08-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. Which do you think is better? The kootney river or the Columbia?

Walleye101
08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Kootney...

great white whaler
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
beware of the black bears,,i counted 5 black bears there last year along the kootney river i didnt catch any thing

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
windermere or columbia lake and river for salmon coming back to multiply and die

You know theres like ten dams below there so the chance of catching a non landlocked salmon is ...... zero . Just saying .:)

BeeGuy
08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Kokanee?

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Kokanee?

Landlocked and may make 12" the odd one may make a few pounds in the big kootany lakes.

greylynx
08-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Kokanee?

Around the really big big corner, past the Creston Brewery, and up to Grey Creek.

WayneChristie
08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Kokanee?

yes please :burp:

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
yes please :burp:

Lol the fish WC , lol you know the glaciers down stream 50mile right.

BeeGuy
08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Landlocked and may make 12" the odd one may make a few pounds in the big kootany lakes.

Some of the kokanee in the big lakes almost make double digits.

True story.

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Some of the kokanee in the big lakes almost make double digits.

True story.

At one time yes,I have seen a few old pics that near double the 9lb world record . Cant say ive heard of bigger than 4-5 lb in my time out there.

boroumand8
08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
If you look on google maps and look at the Columbia river every few miles it's dammed off, poor sturgeon.

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 10:14 PM
If you look on google maps and look at the Columbia river every few miles it's dammed off, poor sturgeon.
Ahh try approx 300 million tons of salmon gone . At one time the spring commercial harvest was in the range of 98 million tons . And prior to the dams salmon made the bottom of the creston pass hence salmo BC.

boroumand8
08-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Ahh try approx 300 million tons of salmon gone . At one time the spring commercial harvest was in the range of 98 million tons . And prior to the dams salmon made the bottom of the creston pass hence salmo BC.

Wow. All fish that travel long distances upstream to multiply are affected by the dams of course.

great white whaler
08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Why not fish ladders ?

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Wow. All fish that travel long distances upstream to multiply are affected by the dams of course.

The sturgeon still exist and have a small chance of making a recovery. With mans help. The salmon never can whist the dams exist.:(

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Why not fish ladders ?

The lakes created behind each of the dams mix the imprinted streams so salmon lose there way. the yanks spent 110 million on a sky tram to "fly"fish over the one dam apon reaching the res they all got lost and perished without spawning. From japan in far reaches of the Pacific to within a few hunderd miles of home for a millennia and we make a mess of it . Dont worry the greatest minds worked on all sorts of ladder ideas and hundreds of millions spent to no avail and the largest runs on the west coast of the continental US perished in a few years.:mad3:

great white whaler
08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
The lakes created behind each of the dams mix the imprinted streams so salmon lose there way. the yanks spent 110 million on a sky tram to "fly"fish over the one dam apon reaching the res they all got lost and perished without spawning. From japan in far reaches of the Pacific to within a few hunderd miles of home for a millennia and we make a mess of it . Dont worry the greatest minds worked on all sorts of ladder ideas and hundreds of millions spent to no avail and the largest runs on the west coast of the continental US perished in a few years.:mad3:

very sad in deed,fish ladders with lake hallways ,,there as to be away .

fish gunner
08-12-2013, 11:40 PM
very sad in deed,fish ladders with lake hallways ,,there as to be away .

Sorry the have been tring for eighty years ,google dams of the columbia river. That will give you some idea what they would be up against. Then water temps in the impoundments rise and another hurdle is created . Sorry sir the total sustainable haul from the columbia I belive is 18 thousand tons all species. This I believe is a managed native harvest .

boroumand8
08-13-2013, 12:23 AM
I know some reservoirs in alberta have canals bypassing the dams, but would that just confuse the salmon in BC?

epicangler
08-13-2013, 12:30 AM
kokanee taste good eat them smoked and grilled

fish gunner
08-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I know some reservoirs in alberta have canals bypassing the dams, but would that just confuse the salmon in BC?

You not talking land that is flat in any way shape or form. The salmon have to first get from the mouth of the columbia to canada. Thats a awful lot of dams and yes every tiny stream along the way would need to feed the canal due to imprinting by salmon fry.

boroumand8
08-13-2013, 01:02 AM
You not talking land that is flat in any way shape or form. The salmon have to first get from the mouth of the columbia to canada. Thats a awful lot of dams and yes every tiny stream along the way would need to feed the canal due to imprinting by salmon fry.

It seems like the only way to fix this would be to blow up all the dams, but of course that would never happen :-(

fish gunner
08-13-2013, 01:18 AM
It seems like the only way to fix this would be to blow up all the dams, but of course that would never happen :-(

No the spring flooding tha would ensue would kill thousands . Just for prespective the duncan dam at the top of kootaney lake was the largest factor on the columbia freshet. The dam was in fact built by the us corps of engineers.

Walleye101
08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
The Columbia River between Lake Invermere and Columbia Lake hold some giant Bull Trout. Stop in at the local tackle store in Fairmont and talk with the owner. He will point you in the right direction and show you some pictures of some monsters.

boroumand8
08-13-2013, 10:17 AM
No the spring flooding tha would ensue. Towwould kill thousands . Just for prespective the duncan dam at the top of kootaney lake was the largest factor on the columbia freshet. The dam was in fact built by the us corps of engineers.

Oops I wasn't thinking about all the water that would flood down, destroy all the towns on cities on it, and kill all of the fish

fish gunner
08-13-2013, 11:41 AM
The Columbia River between Lake Invermere and Columbia Lake hold some giant Bull Trout. Stop in at the local tackle store in Fairmont and talk with the owner. He will point you in the right direction and show you some pictures of some monsters.

If you search enough you will find a thread in which the best bull fishery in canada is mentioned. The largest fish maybe not but for average size definitely. :)