PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bouncer Leader

Magspec
08-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi guys going to try some bottom bouncers trolling with the kids just wondering what kinda length of leader people use for them was going to troll some little single hook walleye spinner set-ups, spoons, or jigs, but wondering how far back from bottom bouncer a guy should trail?

Freedom55
08-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Make all your leaders 6' (1.8m) and tie on a snap swivel. If that isn't working, cut off a foot (30cm) and try again. And so on. Lure makers sell them at around 3' (1m) but I say that you can always cut them off but you cannot add to them.

My Lindy leaders are 9' long.

Free

Magspec
08-13-2013, 09:13 AM
so you figure from 3'-6'? Ill just make a few different sizes and troll them and see what works best? Should a guy use mono for leader or you think spider wire would be better as close to bottom and could get in some abrasive stuff?

Freedom55
08-13-2013, 09:32 AM
The concept with bottom bouncers is that the weight scrubs along the bottom kicking up the debris while the bait trails behind and above the bottom and in the debris cloud. The trick is to match the length of leader to fit into that cloud.

Spinner baits (crawler harness or worm harness, or whatever you want to call them, have floats on line to keep it above the bottom. The spinner blade adds a thump or whirr to the presentation so that the fishes senses are alerted. Sight, sound, smell. The additives you need to attract fish. You can use leeches and minnows on a worm harness as well. I have a tube of spinner baits tied with spin-and-glows. Small ones.

Having said that, my harnesses are tied using 14# fluorocarbon leaders (leader material) while some of my associates use ordinary fluoro. line. Another guy I fish with uses monofilament (14#) because it floats better than fluoro. I tie roughly 500 harnesses per year and sell many. My rods are all spooled with various sizes and colors of braids employing fluoro. leaders in all cases.

Jigs and spoons are the wrong items to troll behind a bottom bouncer. Too much weight. Crank baits maybe. I don't troll crank baits. They were made to cast and twitch and stop for the suspending action.

Free

Magspec
08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Freedom thanks for the tips and insight on them first time using so any info is greatly appreciated.

huntsfurfish
08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Leader length depends on what you are pulling.

A 6' leader will be dragging bottom with most/many presentations.

Go with 3-4 feet is standard length.

Have fun and good luck.:)

And yes, crankbaits will work with a bottom bouncer.(shallow diver models)

fish99
08-13-2013, 05:11 PM
so you figure from 3'-6'? Ill just make a few different sizes and troll them and see what works best? Should a guy use mono for leader or you think spider wire would be better as close to bottom and could get in some abrasive stuff?

I use fire line as a line for my spinner rigs the pike have harder time cutting it, compared to mono.

Dirt2oil
08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Pre fabbed spinners, the double hooked carriers with a rubber leetch they stay on and will crush the walleye.

Magspec
08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
i bought a couple premade 8" Spinner Rig Wire set ups and i think im going to make a couple 3'-4' leaders i have some invisbraid spider wire i think i might make some leaders outta for them to start with as only about 20-40ft fishing in lake close by this year before harvest starts and bottom is fairly muddy.

huntsfurfish
08-13-2013, 07:03 PM
i bought a couple premade 8" Spinner Rig Wire set ups and i think im going to make a couple 3'-4' leaders i have some invisbraid spider wire i think i might make some leaders outta for them to start with as only about 20-40ft fishing in lake close by this year before harvest starts and bottom is fairly muddy.

Not sure if I would go as long with a wire leader. 3 feet, maybe even 2.5 feet.

Magspec
08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Not sure if I would go as long with a wire leader. 3 feet, maybe even 2.5 feet.

K thanx ill let you guys know how i make out. We might go in next couple days as wife and kids back from Van island and wanna go fishing but gotta get a few farm things ready before play time lol

bobalong
08-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi guys going to try some bottom bouncers trolling with the kids just wondering what kinda length of leader people use for them was going to troll some little single hook walleye spinner set-ups, spoons, or jigs, but wondering how far back from bottom bouncer a guy should trail?

I tie all my snells about 3 ft long. I run my bouncer (quick change style) through a line slide and just slide it up or down the line to vary my snell length.

EZM
08-13-2013, 09:16 PM
3 ft maybe 4 ft at max. Anything longer is going to be tough to handle at the boat when you are landing a fish, cause unnecessary snags etc....

I like tying my own with fluorocarbon leader material with a swivel snap for quick change and no line twist. Fluorocarbon leader material will also stop pike from cutting your line.

I like tying up a crawler harness (two singles) in tandem facing opposite directions with the trailer up.

Fish-Taco
08-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Love ths thread. I just got a couple bottom bouncers and was wondering what the best setup was for them. Thanks for the great info guys!