PDA

View Full Version : Pike infested waters, these Americans over exaggerating?

JReed
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Have a look at the following article: http://www.denverpost.com/willoughby/ci_23808904/water-wolves-appear-have-migrated-into-upper-colorado

Do you think these guys are worrying over nothing? I sure think they are! The bow has pike in it too but they've never developed to a point of overtaking the trout. Same goes for Glenmore rez.

If you put pike in a stocked trout pond then absolutely the pike will decimate the population, but flowing waters? Thoughts?

Chief16
08-13-2013, 08:09 PM
I am not familiar with the river but I would agree thye don't have to worry. yes there are pike in the bow as well as the north sask and trout populations seem to be just fine. I believe that the trout are more adapt to the faster waters but that's just my opinion

BeeGuy
08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Depends on the ecology of the system.

pickrel pat
08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Their habitat doesnt overlap much. Pike in lower reaches and trout in upper reaches.

chriscosta
08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
the pike probly have easier prey in most rivers imho

pickrel pat
08-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Pike are a cool water fish and trout are cold water fish. There is a transition zone in river systems where they overlap. No big deal.

JReed
08-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Their habitat doesnt overlap much. Pike in lower reaches and trout in upper reaches.

That makes sense, the pike they talked about in the article are in the lower reaches. Same goes for the bow. That's why I think these guys are over exaggerating, the odd pike will head upstream but the bulk of them will stay in the lower reaches

huntsfurfish
08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Depends on the ecology of the system.

Agree

Okotokian
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM

That may indicate that there is no problem, or that there is a big problem. Maybe there were trout in the lower reaches too, before pike were introduced? I don't know if pike were "introduced" at all. I'm just pointing to the fact that populations divided doesn't mean they have no impact on each other. Sort of like saying the white man has had no impact on first nations because their territories (their reserves, our farms and cities) don't overlap.

pickrel pat
08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
That may indicate that there is no problem, or that there is a big problem. Maybe there were trout in the lower reaches too, before pike were introduced? I don't know if pike were "introduced" at all. I'm just pointing to the fact that populations divided doesn't mean they have no impact on each other. Sort of like saying the white man has had no impact on first nations because their territories (their reserves, our farms and cities) don't overlap.

trout need oxygen rich cold flowing water to spawn.(upper reaches of rivers, mountians, foothills.) therefore that is where they can be found.
pike are quite the opposite.(lower reaches of a river). the bow river for example..... what species do you catch in the lower reaches???? pike? goldeye? walleye? sturgeon? what species do you catch in its head waters??? trout? rockys??? Indians and reserves have nothing to do with it... lol.

Okotokian
08-14-2013, 12:45 PM
trout need oxygen rich cold flowing water to spawn.(upper reaches of rivers, mountians, foothills.) therefore that is where they can be found.
pike are quite the opposite.(lower reaches of a river). the bow river for example..... what species do you catch in the lower reaches???? pike? goldeye? walleye? sturgeon? what species do you catch in its head waters??? trout? rockys??? Indians and reserves have nothing to do with it... lol.

Damn, cancel my driftboat excursion. There are no trout below Calgary. Drat. ;)

cujo1969
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Don't really consider that the lower bow. More like anything below the bassano dam.