PDA

View Full Version : how do you tie a float and a fly

epicangler
08-14-2013, 05:28 PM
i dont fly fishing but fly fishing in rivers seem to be the best way, so i want to try use flies with a normal rod:thinking-006:

flyguyd
08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
You can get a tapered bobber with an eye hook in each end . Tie the fat end to your line, add a 4 or 5 ft leader to the skinny end and your set .

Good luck

the local angler
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
there is a simular bobber to the one described called a casting bubble, the line goes right through the bobber and you can twist the ends to lock it in one spot and its adjustable and can fill with a bit of water and can cast longer distances.

epicangler
08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
do i need to put weights?

Flieguy
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
there's bobbers you can partially fill with water. these work well I've heard. You can even fish dry flies with this method, just go get yourself a little floatant to put on the fly before you cast it to keep it afloat better.

ooooor learn to fly fish :D haha <-- careful if you go this direction though. it's habit forming. I was strictly a spin fisher for 12 years before I laid my hands on a fly rod..... now I'm a hopeless addict

DarkAisling
08-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Google "nymphing" . . that's what you're talking about doing. Yes, you will want to use split shot on your line.

indicator (bobber) -------->split shot--->fly.

You can add more than one fly: by tying on additional line with a blood knot. There are a few ways to set everything up, but there are plenty of images and descriptions online.

Nymphing is my favourite way to fish.

But, it can be done with dries and wets, too.

Scott N
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
These are what you should think about:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=adjust-a-bubble&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CT8MUsqIIcWc2QWv44DoBw&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659

Put your line through, twist it so the bobber stays put, then had some water inside for weight, as Flieguy mentioned.

Gust
08-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Your questions are now worthy of answers.

When you cast with a bobber, touch your spool with your index finger as the float is on the downward descent to hitting the water,, this will give a whiplash effect to the fly which is trailing behind the heavier float, thus presenting your fly better and leaving you with less twists on your mainline. If you choose to use splitshots, a trick is to carry a bit of cardboard from a cigarette pack and tear a piece off and wrap it on the line where you want to squeeze the splitshot too, this allows the shot to hold without crimping your line which prevents splitshot cutting or loss of potentially nice fish.

I agree with gunner and suggest you change your name to IntendToBeAnEpicAngler or something similar.:)

epicangler
08-14-2013, 11:49 PM

the local angler
08-15-2013, 05:07 PM
oh another thing is if you use a float and you are using a spinning reel the hand holding the rod, using two fingers put a bit of tension on the line when you start to reel in a bit of line. i find if you dont the line gets spooled on your reel too loose and sometimes creates that big loop that sticks out and causes birdsnest that would ruin your day.

epicangler
08-15-2013, 06:33 PM
i know how to cast already i caught lots of trout and pike

epicangler
08-16-2013, 12:03 AM
do you need to put weights??:thinking-006:

Dak1138
08-16-2013, 04:51 AM
If you use a weighted bobber or the water filled bobber you do not need to add more weight.

densa44
08-16-2013, 08:45 AM
You sound like a keen fisherman, are there any other kinds? You can tie weighted flys if you need weight. The members are right that nyphing is a very productive way to fish, probably the most productive. However, fishing with a grasshopper can stop your heart!

If you tie one (hopper) with elk hair it will always float, and you'll be very happy with the results.

There are people here who know everything there is to know about tying flies.

Mine are so crude, I only show them to fish.

DarkAisling
08-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Mine are so crude, I only show them to fish.

Fish love crippled bugs. :)

epicangler
08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
where can u buy a bubble float/fills up with water float?

the local angler
08-16-2013, 06:12 PM
most fishing stores carry them like the fishing hole wholesales sports bass pro

bwackwabbit
08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Can tire sells 2 sizes

MtnGiant
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
i dont fly fishing but fly fishing in rivers seem to be the best way, so i want to try use flies with a normal rod:thinking-006:

It all depends on what you consider a normal rod?????

epicangler
08-17-2013, 12:51 AM
ive got one thats clear and see through and not sure if can fill up:thinking-006:

Dak1138
08-17-2013, 03:21 AM
If it is shaped like a tear drop and has a rubber tube running through the middle of it then you have the correct one. Just pull on one of the ends and it should open enough to fill with water.

I find it best to insert the line first, fill with water , then twist the end or ends Which will in turn twist the rubber tube tight onto the line.