PDA

View Full Version : best way to entice cutthroat trout in rivers?

epicangler
08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
whats the best way to entice cutthroat trout? spoon, fly, spinner, etc.?

fish gunner
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Its whats best on the day , flies catch lots for me. Every day is different

Chief16
08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
If your talking about little cutty's in rivers you can feed them whatever you like. I have caught them on many kinds of flies not even knowing what hatch is on. If you are using spinners or spoons go as small as you can so they can get it on there mouth. This info is just for little cutts on say ram tribes for example

flyguyd
08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
The cutthroat was made for a dry fly, anything else should be illegal:thinking-006:

Kidding!! Little panther martin spinners work well also,but a dry is far more rewarding

BeeGuy
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Still kickin grasshoppers.

epicangler
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
thanks guys

epicangler
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
i will stick with a float n fly:sHa_shakeshout:

schmedlap
08-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Cuts are among the least "fussy" - anything that looks like food. Really forgiving for the very amateur fly fisher. My best success in foothill streams, though, has always been with light spinning gear, light line (4 to 6 lb.) and a mid size Muddler or Matuka (wet fly minnow imitation), with some split shot (amount depends on size and depth of stream - length of cast and sink as needed) a couple of feet up the line. Makes if really easy to cast (or even just "flip") accurately into the right spots, no matter how dense the relevant cover, whether you have to get out a long upstream cast or just flip into a little pocket. The losses from the inevitable unretrievable snags are cheap and quick to fix (I always carry at least a dozen), adjusting the weight is quick and easy. No tippets or leaders to fuss with. Cover a lot of water quickly. And if there are any bulls around, they will be on it. I've caught some very decent cuts and bulls with this method.
Same method is very effective for Grayling in some places and at some times.
But, if you are in the bigger streams, looking for the bigger fish, there's no doubt that "meatier" lures and gear are better.

epicangler
08-14-2013, 07:21 PM
whats the best time of day best for cutties?:thinking-006:

fish gunner
08-14-2013, 09:19 PM
The time your on the water. And please change your name to like . new angler,first time angler, or in many yrs could be epic angler with lots of practice.

H380
08-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Asked an oldtimer from Idaho this very question and his answer was" DuPont #9 " { blasting powder } !!!:snapoutofit: He says those that don't float to the top have a nice deep pool to swim in .. Wouldn't want to get caught doing that now , the sentence for murder would the lesser of the two offences .

Fishfinder
08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
The time your on the water. And please change your name to like . new angler,first time angler, or in many yrs could be epic angler with lots of practice.

Hehehe, I was wondering when someone was gonna mention something like that lol.

X2 though Epic. Just get out there n try some different tactics. Small spinners, dry flies, even streamers will work...now Gidde up n give er a shot lol.

Time of day, get up as early as u can, fish till your tired. Stop, eat, rest. Fish again till dark. Repeat following day:)

Oh and fish upstream, be stealthy, minimize your shadows, blend into enviro.
(Downstream is fine too but fish face upstream, less likely to spot u coming)
Good luck!

epicangler
08-14-2013, 11:51 PM
thanks everyone :love0025:

epicangler
08-15-2013, 11:14 PM
would a spoon work in a river reel fast or not?:thinking-006:

Dak1138
08-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Try it and find out.

Okotokian
08-16-2013, 09:31 AM

:sHa_shakeshout:

Like a few other swollen-head names we've seen.... no current members mentioned of course. LOL I think there was once a guy who claimed to be the best guide... ;) He's better now. And Epic seems a good guy. :)