PDA

View Full Version : canoe or small fishing boat??

jesse34567
08-25-2008, 12:16 PM
i am trying to figure out if want a canoe or a small fishing boat can someone help me decide?

Battery
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
id go with a small flat bottom aluminum boat, much more Reliable IMO

jesse34567
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
anyone else?

carllecat
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
A boat with a small motor and then I can become your friend!
I would go 100% with a boat, this is more stabl eon water.

Rollie
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Where will you be doing most of your fishing rivers or lakes? I have a scanoe (with the flat back) and a small motor. It has taken me anywhere I ever wanted to go. Just takes a little longer to get there. It is also very stable.

floppychicken
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
on your budget really...
I wouldn't buy a canoe that's for sure. If you want something portable like that for fishing I'd consider either a Fishing Kayak or an Inflatable. A inflatable with a small engine (even electric) will move you through the water really nicely and won't cost a lot. You can also use it for 'floats' down the Red Deer, Bow, elbow, Old Man rivers, etc and you'll be able to fish ALL of the pothole lakes that DON'T ALLOW gas engines. Truly a versitile boat.

If you plan on fishing alone, a 12' is probably more than sufficient, but if you fish with a buddy, I'd suggest a 14' footer. These boats are awesome on the bigger waters too and likely the safest as well.....

If you're going to fish from an aluminum, I'd suggest a minimum 14' car topper and preferably a 16' deep V. Because of the incredible wind you can get on these Alberta waters, a well designed, bigger boat will keep you safer in the water and also allow you to fish when others have to 'call it a day'.

Just my .02

Cheers,

/FC...

jesse34567
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Where will you be doing most of your fishing rivers or lakes? I have a scanoe (with the flat back) and a small motor. It has taken me anywhere I ever wanted to go. Just takes a little longer to get there. It is also very stable.

i will probably be doing most of my fishing on lakes maybe some on the bow

jesse34567
08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
on your budget really...
I wouldn't buy a canoe that's for sure. If you want something portable like that for fishing I'd consider either a Fishing Kayak or an Inflatable. A inflatable with a small engine (even electric) will move you through the water really nicely and won't cost a lot. You can also use it for 'floats' down the Red Deer, Bow, elbow, Old Man rivers, etc and you'll be able to fish ALL of the pothole lakes that DON'T ALLOW gas engines. Truly a versitile boat.

If you plan on fishing alone, a 12' is probably more than sufficient, but if you fish with a buddy, I'd suggest a 14' footer. These boats are awesome on the bigger waters too and likely the safest as well.....

If you're going to fish from an aluminum, I'd suggest a minimum 14' car topper and preferably a 16' deep V. Because of the incredible wind you can get on these Alberta waters, a well designed, bigger boat will keep you safer in the water and also allow you to fish when others have to 'call it a day'.

Just my .02

Cheers,

/FC...

yeah i do like inflatable boats but when u have lures with SHARP hooks dangling around u know the outcome

Rollie
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Floppychicken raises a good point when he asked if you would be alone or with others. The scanoe I have is only good for 2 adults and a child......3 adults would put severe limits on any water that get even a little rough. No fear of tipping but taking on water over the sides, she floats maybe 3-4" above water with 3 adults. So thats just another point to consider.

Gillfisher
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I had a canoe many years ago and did not like to fish out of it as they are to unstable. When the first of my two kids were born I sold the canoe and bought a 12 fot alum boat. Best decision I made that was 11 yrs ago and the boat is still serving me well. I can't go without my 9 yr old son now or he is not a happy man.

LacLaBicheNS
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I've fished from canoe's, scanoe's and various small alum boats.

It comes down to where your going to fish and wether or not you have a motor.

You'd be really surprised at the fishing you can do from a scanoe/canoe. Id almost say in some area's I'd rather a canoe. throw it on a 4x4 and you can get to some lakes other boats can't. Even small streams. You can do big lakes in a canoe/scanoe, just have to plan your trips more carefully according to the weather. But you'd be surprised at the stability of some of these suckers.

If your more open water/lakes go with the alumin. But you need a fairly good sized motor. I've fished from a 14foot alum with a 4horse motor. Never again. I could paddle a canoe twice as fast lol.

Redfrog
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/P1010003.jpg

Here's my buddy in a canoe that we strapped to the float on a plane to take inot a lake for a little fishing. we fished a week and caught over a hundred fish a day.:D worked great.

I also have a 12 boat and motor, but there is something special about the serenity of fishing some backwater with a canoe.:D

floppychicken
08-26-2008, 01:14 AM
yeah i do like inflatable boats but when u have lures with SHARP hooks dangling around u know the outcome

:)

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that too much. The only way you're going to put a hook through an inflatable (Denier quality and 1100 density) is if you have about 50 pound test and a treble the size of your palm.... These aren't your standard Canadian Tire Special boats....

Seriously, these things can take a beating FAR FAR worse than my 16' (10 gauge) LOWE ! Put a 9.9hp on with a hydrofoil and you'll be looking at 20+ miles per hour ! With an aluminum floor, you could probably do that speed on 3 foot rollers too !

This would be an AWESOME combo and you could basically fish ANYWHERE with these items....

- NEW Inflatable 14 footer shipped to your door WITH an aluminum floor and ALL accessories; $1500.00 (TAX IN) $1200.00 for a 12' footer
- Good used / rebuilt 9.9 or 15hp motor with hydrofoil: $1000.00 - $1600.00 (TAX IN)
- MINN KOTA 46# Maxxum Transom mount motor on sale: $310.00 (TAX IN)
- COSTCO MARINE battery: $100.00 (TAX IN)
- Decent little Fish / Depth finder: $240.00 (TAX IN)
- Cheap anchor with 'good heavy' six foot chain and rope $45.00 (TAX IN)
- Now add a good used 14' aluminum car topper $1000.00 (TAX IN)

Total:
$4795.00
(14' inflatable w/ 15hp OB) or knock off $900.00 bucks and go down to the 12' foot inflatable and 9.9 hp OB for
$3895.00

You're now looking at under 5 grand and as low as $3900.00 bucks for a 'seriously' versatile combination that will allow you to fish in ANY body of water. Just something to think about.....

Cheers,

/FC....

Kingfisher
08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a 13 foot inflateable and it is amazing. Yes I've fished for pike and walleye out of it with no problem. As FC said you'd have to have 50lb test and a monster hook to damage them. They aren't totally stupid proof. But they are cirtainly worthy of a look.

If your looking for a good set up at a reasonable price there was 2 guys at Gull Lake selling their inflateables. They both looked almost identical. They had 9.9 on them and they were about 12 feet. They both had trailers and the price was only around $3000 each. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Boat, motor and trailer.

Rob