PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with this buck?

Wilk0
08-17-2013, 09:11 AM
found this buck and im wondering if he will make it through the winter ?

dadof5
08-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Not likely with that rack... Someone will harvest him. Ass for the thing on his neck, looks like a cyst or tumour... I probably wouldn't wanna eat him!

whitetail Junkie
08-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Looks like a syst on his neck....besides that he looks pretty healthy....looks like he is chewing his cud in the picture.

Wilk0
08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
will he survive the winter??

huntin
08-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Must be from around Ft Mac.

pottymouth
08-17-2013, 10:31 AM
What ae you using for bait? And Maybe you should be wondering if he will infect the rest of the deer coming to your bait station?

pointer
08-17-2013, 01:59 PM
QUOTE=pottymouth;2080873]What ae you using for bait? And Maybe you should be wondering if he will infect the rest of the deer coming to your bait station?[/QUOTE]

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Deadeye2u
08-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm thinking he might have a frog in his throat.
:thinking-006:

CBintheNorth
08-17-2013, 11:09 PM
What ae you using for bait? And Maybe you should be wondering if he will infect the rest of the deer coming to your bait station?

In eastern Alberta?
There's no diseases to spread around there, are there? :thinking-006:

I'm sure what's growing on his neck won't kill him...

Hawkeye
08-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Based on the pic, it might be an abscess (pocket of pus) or a big blood clot. His right jugular vein looks prominent (that could be due to some interference with blood flow).

FYI, animals with heart failure will get very large jugular veins (both sides) and often a very prominent accumulation of fluid under the jaw (so-called bottle jaw), but his swelling is NOT typical of heart failure.

My best guess is some sort of trauma, most likely a piece of wood got stuck in his neck and it festered and formed the abscess. He looks like he is in pretty good flesh, with a decent set of horns, so presumably, it is pretty well walled-off and not bothering him much. It may well break open and drain at some point, and then scar in.

Hawkeye

Wilk0
08-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanx for the help. He is walking around with two other deer and they seem fine. Central alberta

Don K
08-18-2013, 08:37 AM
An abscess most likely. Seen them in moose and elk before.
If they're opened up its pretty nasty and holy s*#t what a smell!

walking buffalo
08-18-2013, 12:44 PM
What and when (what times of the year, all inclusive) are you feeding the deer?

It's possible your feeding regiment is effecting the intake of essential elements.

The lump is probably a goiter.

Hawkeye
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
What and when (what times of the year, all inclusive) are you feeding the deer?

It's possible your feeding regiment is effecting the intake of essential elements.

The lump is probably a goiter.

That is an interesting idea, but unfortunately, the location does not support it. A goiter forms when the thryoid gland gets enlarged, typically due to inadequate iodine in the diet. The lump is too far down the neck and too much off to one side to represent an enlarged thyroid.

Redfrog
08-18-2013, 04:10 PM
found this buck and im wondering if he will make it through the winter ?

Looks like he's got some sort of lump on his neck.:scared0015::scared0015:

I saw a whitetail doe with one similar but much larger between her front legs. The hide had been rubbed raw and she was having trouble walking. She also had little fat on her heading into winter.
I shot her and cancelled mu tag. Reported it to F/W and they said they had seen it but couldn't get the shot. He said if i wanted another doe he would give me a permit. I never bothered with it.

The lump was some kind of tumor.

Big Daddy Badger
08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
QUOTE=pottymouth;2080873]What ae you using for bait? And Maybe you should be wondering if he will infect the rest of the deer coming to your bait station?

:sHa_sarcasticlol:[/QUOTE]

Whats so funny?
Thats a legitimate concern and...a very good point.

Wilk0
08-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Just salt.

buck-8835
08-19-2013, 08:48 PM
This hawkeye guy seems to know his ****!! Id listen to him lol