PDA

View Full Version : Front Shots

senkow
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Im guesing this is going to be very controversale, but what do you think on taking a shot at an animal that is straight inline with you. Is it effective? at what range? on what animals? where do you want to aim? would you track it any differant?

LeroyvdH
08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Quick answer NO.. Tempting but NO..
Thanks Leroy

Lefty-Canuck
08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
It isn't in my play book....check the anatomy of an animal from that angle....what are you aiming for?

LC

Iceman4
08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I know one person who took a bull elk with a frontal shot from 6 yards. The arrow didn't quite make it out the back end. There was very little blood, he killed the elk but it took him a very long time to find it. It's definitely tempting, but a low margin shot I wouldn't be comfortable with.

petew
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Not a smart Idea.:)

catnthehat
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I know many guys with "modern" equipment advocate frontal shots and give various arguments that they are okay.
I never have, never will no matter if the animal is a cranker or not.:thinking-006:
Cat

Redfrog
08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I had a client shoot a mule deer through the front. The deer had stopped walking towards us as it dropped down to the base of a hill.
I ranged it at 210 yards. He shot from a rest with a 300 win mag. the deer dropped like a rock.
When I dressed it, I found the bullet had travel full length and exited an inch to the left of the anus. The only damage to the meet was the inside of the left ham. It had what looked like a knife slice about 8 inches long and about 1 inch deep. No bruising at all.
This was as clean as any head or neck shot I've seen.

Doodle30
08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
I had a client shoot a mule deer through the front. The deer had stopped walking towards us as it dropped down to the base of a hill.
I ranged it at 210 yards. He shot from a rest with a 300 win mag. the deer dropped like a rock.
When I dressed it, I found the bullet had travel full length and exited an inch to the left of the anus. The only damage to the meet was the inside of the left ham. It had what looked like a knife slice about 8 inches long and about 1 inch deep. No bruising at all.
This was as clean as any head or neck shot I've seen.

Who makes the 300 Win Mag bow? Sounds very lethal:sHa_shakeshout:

You are in the archery section so I suspect he wants feedback on archery shots only.

Redfrog
08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Who makes the 300 Win Mag bow? Sounds very lethal:sHa_shakeshout:

You are in the archery section so I suspect he wants feedback on archery shots only.

OH Like you never felll asleep on this board before.:argue2:

My bad, Sorry sorry sorry. archery hunting is cruel anyway.:sign0161:

nekred
08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
No problem... just hit them between the lookers... with a 180 grain 30 cal.

With an arrow..... NOT!

Zuludog
08-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Again NO. :) Like LC said, what are you going to aim for?

338Bluff
08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
OH Like you never felll asleep on this board before.:argue2:

My bad, Sorry sorry sorry. archery hunting is cruel anyway.:sign0161:

It's illegal to bait in Alberta and by extension this forum....

:character0053:

Are you doing a little trolling maybe??:)

338Bluff
08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Yup. Frontal shots bad. Broadside shots good.

Redfrog
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
It's illegal to bait in Alberta and by extension this forum....

:character0053:

Are you doing a little trolling maybe??:)

OMG! It was a simple error. I had just read a post by Bee Guy and I was laughing so hard, I didn't notice that this post was from the archery forum. I don't pick apart Ao forum by forum. I go to 'new posts ' and wade through the cra... I mean the posts more like a mixture of insane postings instead of eating my peas then my potatoes, then my meat etc.

Mea culpa, if I have offended thee. No animals were hurt during the typing of this post. Hope this helps and have a great evening.:sHa_shakeshout:

J.B.
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
I took a frontal shot on a big bodied mule buck once after my first arrow hit his shoulder. He was broadside first shot, broke his shoulder and he fell into the creek I was shooting across....swam to my side, and met him on the bank at 12 yards. My arrow passed completely through the long way, fletching hung up on his nut sack exiting. He took three steps and piled up.
I know where I am aiming on this shot and will take on the ground only, at very close range.

LC-I am aiming for what is called the thoracic inlet. This is where the esophagus, and blood vessels enter the chest cavity from the neck. All the vitals are easily accessible through here. Very lethal shot, but you must be able to hit a baseball sized target under the pressure of hunting-extremely close range only.

338Bluff
08-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Redfrog.......I don't spend enough time around here to follow all the side plots.:)

No offence meant or taken.

Lefty-Canuck
08-23-2013, 10:11 PM
I know where I am aiming on this shot and will take on the ground only, at very close range.

LC-I am aiming for what is called the thoracic inlet. This is where the esophagus, and blood vessels enter the chest cavity from the neck. All the vitals are easily accessible through here. Very lethal shot, but you must be able to hit a baseball sized target under the pressure of hunting-extremely close range only.

Don't get me wrong I know where to shoot on a frontal....as a first shot is is low percentage.....as a second shot it may be a necessicity but if I am out hunting and all I have is a front shot with a bow...I may not even draw.

I try for a double lung shot as much as possible and have passed up on animals that have not granted me the opportunity.

LC

Michael_Brown
08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=J.B.;2089075] My arrow passed completely through the long way, fletching hung up on his nut sack exiting. He took three steps and piled up.
QUOTE]

I would have went down as well. :scared0018:

58thecat
08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I took a frontal shot on a big bodied mule buck once after my first arrow hit his shoulder. He was broadside first shot, broke his shoulder and he fell into the creek I was shooting across....swam to my side, and met him on the bank at 12 yards. My arrow passed completely through the long way, fletching hung up on his nut sack exiting. He took three steps and piled up.

Nut sack shots will do it every time:sHa_sarcasticlol: But a lot of archers don't have the balls to attempt this shot:thinking-006:

Redfrog
08-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Redfrog.......I don't spend enough time around here to follow all the side plots.:)

No offence meant or taken.

Hey Bud, If you take anything I post seriously, you are working way tooo hard.:)

normanrd
08-25-2013, 11:06 PM
I shot a bull elk at 7 yards through the thoracic inlet, and he was dead In less than 8 seconds. The arrow went right through the center of the heart and stuck in the pelvic bone. Pretty lethal IMO. Small target and very special circumstances! If it was more than 10 or so yards and the animal was anything less than straight on to me I would seriously have to reconsider the shot. It's highly situational, such as so much of archery hunting.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-26-2013, 07:43 AM
:D shooting a fronal shot with a firearm is a like night and day compared to a bow...I have seen animals taken with frontal shots that go down and quickly ..however saying that I also know of many that have never been found ..

I personally wont take the shot or reccomened it either...

Neil