PDA

View Full Version : Twin Laks by Rocky

gramps73
08-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Heading out to Twin on the 13th of Sept for some fishing, any help would be great. Fish type and what to use would be great...
Thanks in advance
G

TundraBuck
08-29-2008, 07:13 PM
PM Me, much better fishing with little to no people and bigger and more fish in the same area. I can point you in the right direction, no need to waste your time at that crowded hellhole.

mulecrazy
08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I personally like twin. Great docks for fishing rather that the lack of shoreline that some others in the area have. I got skunked for the first time last night. I normally fish the main dock. It does get crowded on the weekends. There are some great fish in the lake. I had one break my line that easily would have been well over 9 pounds. You will have to catch several little guys to get them. Good luck.

troutpirate
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
I personally like twin. Great docks for fishing rather that the lack of shoreline that some others in the area have. I got skunked for the first time last night. I normally fish the main dock. It does get crowded on the weekends. There are some great fish in the lake. I had one break my line that easily would have been well over 9 pounds. You will have to catch several little guys to get them. Good luck.

broodstockers dont count even if they r over 9 pounds.

mulecrazy
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Why not? He asked what kind of fish to expect. Unless broods are not fish:rolleyes: . give me a break.

Duster
09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I totally agree with troutpirate Stockers are crap, anybody can catch stocked fish!

troutpirate
09-01-2008, 12:26 AM
yeah duster:) past their prime 9 pound rainbows that spent their whole life in a hatchery, eating trout pellets, are not sporting. they r just released for the slaughter. i would take a 9 inch native athabasca rainbow over one of those any day.:)

uicehole
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
There she is in the corner loading up on Twinkies like there's no tomorrow. It's last call. She's all woman; more woman than you can possibly handle. C'mon you want to take her home...you just don't tell your friends afterwards.:p

mulecrazy
09-01-2008, 08:25 AM
yeah duster:) past their prime 9 pound rainbows that spent their whole life in a hatchery, eating trout pellets, are not sporting. they r just released for the slaughter. i would take a 9 inch native athabasca rainbow over one of those any day.:)

:lol::lol: you are hilarious. You make it sound as though it was raised in captivity, and It is the easiest thing to catch. not even close. I could tell my the belly colouring that this one had been in there a few years and had climatized to the lake and was fully wild IMO. I spent more than 15 days out there this summer and she was the only one that size I hooked. I saw 1 about 5-6 pound new brooder(grey belly) caught by someone else and thats about it for the big guys. A few in the 2-3 pound range. If you cant answer the guys question then stay off the thread. if ya wanna continue this then send a pm.

troutpirate
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
:lol::lol: you are hilarious. You make it sound as though it was raised in captivity, and It is the easiest thing to catch. not even close. I could tell my the belly colouring that this one had been in there a few years and had climatized to the lake and was fully wild IMO. I spent more than 15 days out there this summer and she was the only one that size I hooked. I saw 1 about 5-6 pound new brooder(grey belly) caught by someone else and thats about it for the big guys. A few in the 2-3 pound range. If you cant answer the guys question then stay off the thread. if ya wanna continue this then send a pm.

dont tell me to stay off a thread mule. i'll comment on whatever i want, whenever i want too.:evilgrin: its not my fault your into catching tame fish and bellyaching, mule:lol:

mulecrazy
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
dont tell me to stay off a thread mule. i'll comment on whatever i want, whenever i want too.:evilgrin: its not my fault your into catching tame fish and bellyaching, mule:lol:

wow, now that helps the original poster. I hope you are proud for being productive. Sorry for the nonsense Gramps..... I tried.

merk1
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I would be happy with anything 9lbs mulecrazy,as I am c&r,like they say there is allways one in every crowd

Canuck44
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
gramps

To answer your question, expect stocked rainbows in twin, it has been several years since I fished it but thats what I remember. If you are a bait fisherman I would reccomend worms and a slip bobber as the right gear to start with. Ask others who are successful while you are there what they are using. If you are a fly fisherman I can recommend what I consider much better fishing in streams within an hours drive.

Go to the alberta fish stocking reports to see what they dumped in it this year.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx

A few other rules:

1) If your line breaks before you touch a fish you didn't catch it (in fact if you couldn't have eaten it you didn't catch it) this also applies for bucks that you shot but missed.

2) If there isn't a picture or the fish measured your claims of a 9 lb rainbow will not be believed. This is especially true for the ones that got away.

3) Just because you were using 10 lb test and the fish broke off does not mean that the fish "Must have been at least 9 lbs"

4) The 9 pounder will be 12 next year...

mulecrazy
09-02-2008, 08:03 PM
gramps

To answer your question, expect stocked rainbows in twin, it has been several years since I fished it but thats what I remember. If you are a bait fisherman I would reccomend worms and a slip bobber as the right gear to start with. Ask others who are successful while you are there what they are using. If you are a fly fisherman I can recommend what I consider much better fishing in streams within an hours drive.

Go to the alberta fish stocking reports to see what they dumped in it this year.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx

A few other rules:

1) If your line breaks before you touch a fish you didn't catch it (in fact if you couldn't have eaten it you didn't catch it) this also applies for bucks that you shot but missed.

2) If there isn't a picture or the fish measured your claims of a 9 lb rainbow will not be believed. This is especially true for the ones that got away.

3) Just because you were using 10 lb test and the fish broke off does not mean that the fish "Must have been at least 9 lbs"

4) The 9 pounder will be 12 next year...

great stuff canuck. I have had luck with pink sparkly power bait on a bare snelled hook with a ball weight about a foot up. Toss it on the bottom and keep the line snug. great rules as well canuck. I definetly can't claim I caught the big one. I went without a net and was off the main dock. While trying to get him out the fiancee was snapping pics. He shows his size in a couple. unfortunatly in the chaos the line rubbed on the wood and it snapped when he pulled hard. stupid mistake... I would recommend a net for anyone going there.

BigBuck$
09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Don't want to spoil your fun her guys but Gramps here is a pretty danm nice rainbow my brother got last year out of twin. I don't care if I have to fish at a pet store any big fish is fun no matter if it is a stocked fish or not.

troutpirate
09-03-2008, 12:59 AM
wow, mule well done. playing the less thaneducated. im glad u have no info on the best (challenging) lakes in the area,

mulecrazy
09-03-2008, 06:52 AM
wow, mule well done. playing the less thaneducated. im glad u have no info on the best (challenging) lakes in the area,

Are you trying to pick a fight?? our are you just that ignorant. Sure I don't have "trout" in my name, does that mean I can't give info on a lake that I have fished? Get your head out of your *****. I guess I should just stick to giving advice about mulies. And, leave your "educated" infinite knowledge take care of the trout end of things. sheesh. I have actually fished a number of lakes around with decent success. I suppose when he asked for info on twin I should have given him info on another lake instead???? Very helpfull indeed. And for your info, I have only lived in rocky a little while and don't know all the lakes around, I am learning a few with my limited time available for those excursions.

Sorry again gramps.

srin50
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello everyone, I am new, so please be gentle:)
Can anyone recommend a place I can fish from either the bank or a dock in the Fort Saskatchewan area? Say within 75 miles ( the closer the better ) Not too fussy about what the fish are just so I can fish??

And, hmmmm.....just for the record your disscussion reminded me of something Ted Bundy said about the Green River Killer....the GRK was taking prostitutes, which was easy....not like himself....who targeted co-eds. I guess that made him a "better" serial killer. Anyway that doesn't make much sense to me either.:P

Thanks everyone !!

mulecrazy
09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello everyone, I am new, so please be gentle:)
Can anyone recommend a place I can fish from either the bank or a dock in the Fort Saskatchewan area? Say within 75 miles ( the closer the better ) Not too fussy about what the fish are just so I can fish??

And, hmmmm.....just for the record your disscussion reminded me of something Ted Bundy said about the Green River Killer....the GRK was taking prostitutes, which was easy....not like himself....who targeted co-eds. I guess that made him a "better" serial killer. Anyway that doesn't make much sense to me either.:P

Thanks everyone !!

Welcome to the board. You may have better luck if you start a new thread.
cheers,

pecker
09-03-2008, 09:04 PM

i've seen a few of those 9# hatchery rainbows caught in dickson pond and there was always a smile on the face of the fisherman & women that caught them . they gave a hell of a fight and were unexpected and thats what it's all about .;) tight lines. :wave:

fishman
09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
This is only my opinion so don't shoot me....as i figure the brood stock bows have there place ...there is quite a few people go to lakes that have them hoping to catch one......good for them..this fits into the balance of it all...myself i am not into fishing brooders, i would rather catch #9 pound fish that has been raised in the lake...yes i realize that they all come from the hatchery but a fish that has been raised in a lake that weight is #9 is alot more gratafying to me then a brooder.........don't get me wrong i have caught brooders when i started fly fishing and filled my thrill at the time but after flyfishing for quite a few years my thrill is for biggggggg lake raised fish. I have changed drastic how i fish compared to back then, i realize a lake that has #10 pound fish in it that aren't brooders are going to be alot harder to catch but i am up to the challenge........so in closing all i got to say is if you want to go catch brooders ...you go for it and you have a smile on after catching you, then your day is complete and after all fishing is suppose to be about going out and having some fun and get away from the grind

TundraBuck
09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Good on you guys I agree catching a brooder is no accomplishment, I hate guys who catch them there, in Cow, or Phyllis and think they are hot stuff. That's nothin'.

You guys need to go >>> C&R <<< some big REAL (wild) fish. Bull trout or big cutts for example.

Get off your arse sittin on the dock chuckin powerbait and start walking with a flyrod, do it the fun way.

Canuck44
09-04-2008, 09:52 PM
You guys need to go >>> C&R <<< some big REAL (wild) fish. Bull trout or big cutts for example.

Get off your arse sittin on the dock chuckin powerbait and start walking with a flyrod, do it the fun way.

I have to agree with this, while I use to bait fish and lake fish a lot I took up fly fishing 4 years ago and by far prefer to catch trout out of flowing water on a dry fly. I still go on a couple of trips to northern sask each year for lake trout, walleye and jack but for freshwater fishing my favorite is fly fishing small creeks and rivers.