PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Corkscrewing

Tikka300
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM
I have been shooting my new bow for a while now but I went to rig up some arrows with broadheads to check flight and point of impact when I notice some of my arrows appeared to corkscrew with both field points and broad heads. Turns out 3 of my 12 arrows always corskcrew through the air... seem odd but I can't figure out what it could be. They would have come fletched from factory but everything appears fine. I thought about re-fletching them to see if it changes anything. Just thought it was a bit strange. Anyone have some suggestions?

Shooting a PSE DNA 63 lbs, carbon force 200 arrow with blazer vanes.

Lefty-Canuck
08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Bent insert? Make sure the cock feather is the same on all arrows....

LC

Tikka300
08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
yeah cock feather is the same. Never thought about a bent insert, if its that then the whole arrow is pretty much pooched.

Antelopeous
08-27-2013, 05:02 PM
arrow isnt pooched...just knock out the insert and glue a new one in. you could try nock tuning, just turn your nock so that a different vane is up and try shooting, if there is no difference then try the other way. what i mean by that is try all 3 of your vanes in the up position by turning the nock. if it does make a difference then just write "UP" on that vane with a marker.

Big Lou
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Have you used a squaring tool or chamfer stone? Done any spin tests? Broadhead might not be sitting square to the shaft.

Riverbc
08-27-2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.pineridgearchery.com/content/modules/rhino.publisher/files/uploads/_old/2500_KO_web.JPG

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
:D X2 on ASD and spinner...some broadheads wobble due to various reasons and on a border line tuned bow will oscilate/corkscrew badly...

ASD Arrow Squaring Device..Squares both arrow before insert and insert after glueing...if building arrows squares nock end also...

could be unsquare nock, arrow or insert...

or bent broadhead...

or border line bow tune where arrow is both fishtailing and porphoisng slightly...if arrow and head are perfect arrow flys good but if there is a slight variance erraitic flight will happen.

Neil

Tikka300
08-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Well I shot the three arrows in question and noticed they were catching my rest just a bit. After some adjustment two were flying perfect as the others. The one odd ball and one vane that looked like it was glued on crooked. Seems odd but you could even hear it flying strange.

Shooting good now but seeing that a lot goes in to tuning a bow and these new ones seem to be a bit more finicky than my old one. Can be expected i guess seeing how these new bows perform. Shooting a PSE DNA 63 LB.

Thanks for the input on possible problems, all things to watch for in the future.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
D: Other than the bad vane you may try index you nocks slightly for clearanace they are just friction fit and movable..

Neil

senkow
09-08-2013, 07:37 AM
I had the same problem, and switched from 300 arrows to 400 arrows. They fly straight as an........ arrow now. haha

kokiak333
09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Try downloading the "Easton Arrow Tuning and Maintenance Guide" on the Easton website...best 30 pages you will ever read!

L.O.S.T.Arrow
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
:D
http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downloads/software/tuning_guide.pdf

more tips...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=165209

Neil

KBF
10-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I have noticed this lately ona few arrows. Shooting a whisker bucsuit. i suppose this could contribute significantly if Im not quite tuned proper.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I have noticed this lately ona few arrows. Shooting a whisker bucsuit. i suppose this could contribute significantly if Im not quite tuned proper.

:D This can/will happen with any bow and any rest if bow is not tuned or if bow is tuned and arrow is not tuned to bow...

There can be other issues like moving rest, moving nock point, limp twist, cupped cam, bad bearing etc...

If arrow was tuned to tuned bow and shooting good ...then slowly gets bad...string creep is likely a cause...Biggest culprit is string creep [ Strings Stretching ]

Simple fix by having bow Spec tuned... [ Press needed ]
JMHO
Neil

Mount Sweetness
10-31-2013, 05:30 PM
With a biscuit, the vanes may have slightly too much helix/offset. This is a great hunting rest but it will only handle a very slight twist, too much and it will eventually tear the vanes off.

KBF
10-31-2013, 08:00 PM
:D This can/will happen with any bow and any rest if bow is not tuned or if bow is tuned and arrow is not tuned to bow...

There can be other issues like moving rest, moving nock point, limp twist, cupped cam, bad bearing etc...

If arrow was tuned to tuned bow and shooting good ...then slowly gets bad...string creep is likely a cause...Biggest culprit is string creep [ Strings Stretching ]

Simple fix by having bow Spec tuned... [ Press needed ]
JMHO
Neil

I have tried to watch close and it appears that it seems to be the rear portion of the arrow is corkscrewing. Not so much whole arrow. If that makes any sense.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
11-01-2013, 09:05 AM
I have tried to watch close and it appears that it seems to be the rear portion of the arrow is corkscrewing. Not so much whole arrow. If that makes any sense.

:D In a sense it is the nock end oscillating more...
[Oscillating=a combination of both nock end fishtailing/side to side and porhposing/up and down.. suggesting several issues]

The front/tip of arrow is moving, but less and harder to see..

an oscillating arrow suggests several issues...start with bow spec tune...then bow tune..[Rest nock and nock point ] and finally match arrow to bow...

Neil