PDA

View Full Version : Whales bedide our boat

TBark
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Was out in Sooke the same time as Walleyes, same sort of story,
a few salmon, 18, 21 and a 10, lucky for us when the whales came by on Sunday 9 AM, we has a few salmon already on board, as after the whales passed, no more bites.
This footage of the whales turned out, but the stills of the salmon were poor, as the rain on Sunday fogged the cameras back at the docks,
ya, I know, a fish story LOL.
But had to settle for a back yard picture before we cut them up.
We've never seen this many killers come by, usually a few, but there must have been 20 in all this time.

TBark

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Tbark/?action=view&current=killers.flv

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Tbark/DSC04559.jpg

shekaree
08-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Whale footage is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

Fishin' Fool
08-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't consider myself a chicken, but that movie freaks me right out:cry:. Thanks for sharing though.:)

Hopefully this isn't bad etiquette, but there's some similar footage on Doc's board where a Killer attacks a guy's salmon and then keeps circling the boat. The thing is close enough to touch.

Any of you who are old enough to remember the old movie "Orca" will probably relate.

FF

BigRackLover
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
cool footage. Nice catch on the salmon, those will sure taste good.

I find it interesting how people troll so close to each out on the coast when fishing the river mouths for Salmon. I guess it needs to be done. Just not something I was used to or expecting.

Ayr
08-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that "killer" footage.

Cheers,

Ayr.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow thats amazing. Very lucky to do lots of good fishing and then those lovely whales. Great post thanks for shareing Tree Bark.

The Anvil
08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
That is some awesome video, such a nice treat to see that many Orca's in one spot. I personally love killer whales such awesome mammals.

Looks like you had a great trip and caught some nice salmon too.

Thanks for sharing!

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v299/64/77/839905566/n839905566_3849266_4451.jpg

See I like Killer whales so much I painted my 78 dodge Van into 78 Orca! hahaha you only live once right!
Dubbed the Killer Whale Tank! (it was for a radio contest to win back stage passes to see the Tragically hip) I was 18!

Walleyes
08-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Good stuff Tree,, glad to see you guys got a few. Those whales are something aren't they, we were visited by them 3 mornings I'm not sure if they were all the same pod or not but they are quite the creature alright. I had quite the show last year with a big male, I had a hog of a fish on battling it behind the boat and this big male comes in within 20' of the boat what a show. They say it is not that uncommon to have a whale grab a fish while you are fighting them, that would be quite the fight eh lolol..

Good to see your report Tree and to bad we missed each other,, well maybe next year. Heck maybe we should try and hook up for a days fish or something, Lord knows my boys wouldn't mind a day off...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
That is some awesome video, such a nice treat to see that many Orca's in one spot. I personally love killer whales such awesome mammals.

Looks like you had a great trip and caught some nice salmon too.

Thanks for sharing!

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v299/64/77/839905566/n839905566_3849266_4451.jpg

See I like Killer whales so much I painted my 78 dodge Van into 78 Orca! hahaha you only live once right!
Dubbed the Killer Whale Tank! (it was for a radio contest to win back stage passes to see the Tragically hip) I was 18!

Thats friggen awesome Jon :lol::lol::lol::lol: And I thought I was crazy .

sirmike68
08-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Great pics/vids TBark makes me want to go as well. I for one would rather see those whales from an ocean liner! I guess my stumble jumper legs would be out of their element surrounded by those man eaters.

Jamie Black R/T
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
i just got home on thursday night from 2 weeks in sooke visiting family

we only made it out for one days salmon fishing and didnt even have a nibble after 5 hours on Otter point :cry:

this makes me pretty damn jealous...i wont lie :lol:

Tumbleweed
08-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, let's see now...if you rigged a salmon instead of a herring, and used a well sharpened (but barbless, of course!) Danforth anchor instead of a salmon hook...:D..."Honest, Officer, I don't know why the damn thing bit - but once I had it on, I pretty well had to boat it!".

"Buddy, grab the net!" would take on a whole new meaning.