PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood park archery lanes

schian
08-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Alright folks, I know this place gets a lot of face time hear and its mostly negative, so I had to throw out a positive review this time.

I was having some peep issues (string twisting and stuff) a few weeks back and so after much frustration I went to SPAL and had them put in a tube-peep.
Was pretty excited to get back to shooting without having to worry about twist...first shot...the tube, peep and all pops out of my string...put it back in, shot a few more times and it popped out again, did this several times and was ready to throw my bow.
Went back to SPAL and told Dallas what was going on, he was really busy but took the time to throw a new peep with a tube on and said just to try shooting a bit because it may have been a bit of a dud peep.
Took about 35 shots with no problems, then it popped out again, did the whole thing over about 3 times, finally Dallas said to throw a meta peep in and shoot a bit there and see if it works out for the time being, if not to come back next week and he'll help me figure it out.
Shot about 50 times and good so far.

Dallas took the time to help me out all the while getting two women who had never shot before set up with new bows.

I know its not going to be that good every time but it was great service tonight, and on top of it all, he didn't charge me for a thing.

Good on ya Dallas, keep it up.

Schian

PS, he has 10 hoyt chargers on order.

Zuludog
08-30-2013, 06:15 AM
I've had really positive experiences there. :)

Antelopeous
08-31-2013, 08:24 AM
SPAL is a great place with great service...If Dallas is working on his own and it gets really busy he can come off as rude but have some patience he will get to you, just like any other place it is first come first serve. Good on you shian for giving credit where credit is due. Too many people always focus on the negative. If you go in there and have a bad experience the first thing they do is come on here and bash him, but on the other hand if you have a good or great experience nobody says anything

Dacotensis
08-31-2013, 09:10 AM
I've had positive experience there as well And I'm sure it's somewhere mentioned on AO.
Good shooting this fall.

338Bluff
09-09-2013, 05:39 PM
SPAL is a great place with great service...If Dallas is working on his own and it gets really busy he can come off as rude but have some patience he will get to you, just like any other place it is first come first serve. Good on you shian for giving credit where credit is due. Too many people always focus on the negative. If you go in there and have a bad experience the first thing they do is come on here and bash him, but on the other hand if you have a good or great experience nobody says anything

I have dealt at SPAL for close to 20 years (maybe more). I really can't remember any issue that would prevent me from going back. The owners for the most part have all been very knowledgeable and capable pros. I would give Dallas pretty high marks on his ability to set up and tune a bow. Lots of 'pro staff' will talk a good game, but his work tends to back his opinions up.

I don't shoot Hoyt anymore, but it had nothing to do with their service. Just wanted a little change.

Trax
09-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I would also like to thank Dallas for helping me out with my Z7. I was having major problems paper tuning my bow so went in to see Dallas who after spending many frustrating hours finally figured it out.
He has earned all of my future business.

Kurt505
09-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've had nothing but good experiences at SPAL. I know the stress of owning a business, and it's sometimes hard to keep a happy face all day every day, but at the end of the day it's customer satisfaction that keeps your business going. I think SPAL has been around long enough that they have obviously been doing something right, dispite the bad press. For every bad exchange there is probably 1000 good ones. It's easy to complain when you get bad service, but unlike the op, 99.9% of people won't take the time to praise a vendor.
I'm sure the same can be said of the archery shop west of Edmonton as well, but I honestly haven't spent much time, or money there since Robby left. Once you get past the dry personality Dallas puts on at first, you'll find him to be quite a good guy.

Mickey
09-14-2013, 03:18 PM
I was in there this morning. Dallas was very helpful in answering all of my simple questions and pointing me in the right direction. He never pressured me, simply gave his opinion and let me take it for what it is.

The new shop looks fantastic and I will be buying my bow there when I decide to pull the trigger.

clanman
09-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Guys, been there once and never again. Was very disappointment in Dallas' PR skills. He may be a good, even great, bow tech but needs some major PR work. Trophy Book Archery was pretty good to deal with, but nothing compares to Jim Bows Archery in Calgary. Jim and Joe are top notch professionals....very fortunate to have such a great pro shop to go to.

I guess archery may be our passion but maybe not a great profession for all of us.

retten
09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Just got back into the stick and string this summer been in there a number of times, always looked after very well, both the gents I have dealt with are helpful and informative.

Good experience !

TRG
10-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I was recommended by a friend to go there and after my first visit I have been back several times. My daugter is saving up to buy a bow and they spent a lot of time setting up a bow for her to try as well as spent a lot of time answering all of her questions - they even took the time to adjust it for me (her mom) so that I could try it out as well. I will continue to go back, sometimes they are busy and you just have to be patient.

Pekan
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Guys, been there once and never again. Was very disappointment in Dallas' PR skills. He may be a good, even great, bow tech but needs some major PR work. Trophy Book Archery was pretty good to deal with, but nothing compares to Jim Bows Archery in Calgary. Jim and Joe are top notch professionals....very fortunate to have such a great pro shop to go to.

I guess archery may be our passion but maybe not a great profession for all of us.

X2 on the p.r.
I was in Edmonton for work and brought the bow for some evening target shooting.
Not a good vibe in there.
I shoot at C.A.C so maybe im spoiled!

bobtodrick
02-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Have been dealing with Dallas for 3 years now.
He has taken the time to teach my sons (now 10 and 13) to the point where the oldest has a few competitions under his belt (he has placed as high as 2nd at a CRAC event) and the youngest is starting to compete this year.
His pricing is competitive and he has gone far above, service wise that I've gotten anywhere else.
Those reading this thread will notice that all the postive reviews come from people who have been there a number of times...the complaints have come from people who have been there once.
I guess they've never had an off day...must be nice to be perfect.

albertabighorn
02-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Had a good experience there for the last 7 years or so for my father, my buddy, and i. Dallas knows his stuff and hasnt been short with me ever. Maybe gets worked up when his workers do their job wrong but besides that its a great shop and i enjoy it. Check it out for yourself.

pseelk
02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
I to had good service from Dallas.When I got drawn for moose(8)yr priority,I had damaged my bowstring installing a peep without the proper tools.Noone had a string in Red Deer and scince my daughter lives in Ft Sask I decided to go see Dallas at SPAL,This was my first and only time there.It was about a week before archery season and he was crazy busy,He said he couldnt promise when he would be able to get to it but that he would try.He called me the next day and told me it was done!My season would have been lost had he been unable to do it.He went above and beyond and I would go back in a heartbeat.Wilf

diamond k
02-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Funny how this post get dredged up a week after by a guy with 1 post a week after a bunch of negative comments about this shop.

Glad you all had a good experience. I will give my business to guys with integrity and honesty. Not sure how long a guy with no bows to sell will be in business. He has lost all his supplieres due to delinquent accounts.

Faststeel
02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Funny how this post get dredged up a week after by a guy with 1 post a week after a bunch of negative comments about this shop.

Glad you all had a good experience. I will give my business to guys with integrity and honesty. Not sure how long a guy with no bows to sell will be in business. He has lost all his supplieres due to delinquent accounts.

Are you the guy getting a letter from Dallas's lawyer?

arrow dog
02-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Here we go again. Diamond K, don't worry about SPAL's customers so much!
I'm sure they're big boys and girls and can make their own decisions. My mother always told me if you can't say something nice about someone, say nothing at all!!:)

philintheblank
02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
I love going to SPAL, nice to be able to talk to the guy like he was a long time hunting buddy. I can see how somebody with thin skin would need to fill out a hurt feelings report. When I first got to Edmonton I took my bow in and he tuned it for me for free and even let me shoot there for free. I bought my Hoyt from him the next season and wouldn't hesitate dropping more cash there.

bowhunter12
02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
SPAL is the only place i will ever go. Had nothing but awesome service.

Gboe8
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
SPAL is the only place i will ever go. Had nothing but awesome service.

X2 great place don't go anywhere else any more!

bobtodrick
02-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Here's what I love...cowards who hide behind their little made up names because they're too gutless to let people know who they are.
(My moniker is my name, in case you want to know Diamond).
I hope you are the guy that will be hearing from Dallas's lawyer...then we'll see who's shooting off their mouth.

elkoholik
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Diamond, I do hope you have documented proof of your allegations because if you do not you could be taken up on slander charges and sued. I would personally keep your mouth closed and post on your experiences only not on BS that can not be backed up in court. We have all had enough of this and I truly agree forums like this are for our benefit and if you have a bad or good experience please share it but keep it to your experience and not try to kill a business we all need. Again, Diamond I would be watching what you post as it could lead you to a court battle that you would not want to go down.

Cheers, Dave Jackson.

brendan's dad
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Diamond, I do hope you have documented proof of your allegations because if you do not you could be taken up on slander charges and sued. I would personally keep your mouth closed and post on your experiences only not on BS that can not be backed up in court. We have all had enough of this and I truly agree forums like this are for our benefit and if you have a bad or good experience please share it but keep it to your experience and not try to kill a business we all need. Again, Diamond I would be watching what you post as it could lead you to a court battle that you would not want to go down.

Cheers, Dave Jackson.

Libel not Slander. Slander is spoken and Libel is in print.

Problem is to prove Libel you have to prove that the intention of the Accused is to cause harm to the other person. Here Diamond's defense would be that he is warning others of a business he believes is dishonest. Doesn't really matter if it is true, the case would be based on Diamond's belief and his intention for posting the comment which are almost impossible to prove, so good luck with the lawsuit. See Sec. 309 Criminal Code for full explanation.

bobtodrick
02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Libel not Slander. Slander is spoken and Libel is in print.

Problem is to prove Libel you have to prove that the intention of the Accused is to cause harm to the other person. Here Diamond's defense would be that he is warning others of a business he believes is dishonest. Doesn't really matter if it is true, the case would be based on Diamond's belief and his intention for posting the comment which are almost impossible to prove, so good luck with the lawsuit. See Sec. 309 Criminal Code for full explanation.

Actually in Canada there is something called 'Defamation':
"is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal action to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism"
If the person in questions does not have proof that product lines have been lost...then the allegations are 'groundless'...in which case a lawsuit could very well proceed.

So perhaps people should just keep their mouths shut.
It's a far cry from..."I wasn't happy with the service I received', to, without having any proof whatsover that 'product lines have been pulled'.

nekred
02-26-2014, 02:53 PM
"is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal action to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism"
If the person in questions does not have proof that product lines have been lost...then the allegations are 'groundless'...in which case a lawsuit could very well proceed.

It's a far cry from..."I wasn't happy with the service I received', to, without having any proof whatsover that 'product lines have been pulled'.

Are you a lawyer?! How many defamation suits have you won?

brendan's dad
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

And yes the same requirement exist that Diamond's belief that the product lines were pulled for non payment is proved unreasonable. Where did he get his info from? Ex-employee, product rep, other bow shop that has the same product rep, who knows. But it will be much easier for Diamond to explain or justify his belief than it will be for Dallas's lawyer to prove it unreasonable. It is extremely tough case to prove given the "public forum" aspect and the elements that must be met. Very few if any successful lawsuits in relation to internet forums have been published. So again, good luck with the lawsuit.

bobtodrick
02-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Are you a lawyer?! How many defamation suits have you won?

Uhhh....if (see my post above) I had an inkling of who you were, instead of some cutesy nickname, might tell...but....

nekred
02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Uhhh....if (see my post above) I had an inkling of who you were, instead of some cutesy nickname, might tell...but....

Simple question... evasive answer

brendan's dad
02-26-2014, 03:04 PM
FYI

I do not know Diamond K from a hole in the ground, and the few times I have been to SPAL the experience was very good; friendly staff and they had what I was looking for. On one visit Dallas was there getting a kid rigged up and Dad looked fairly proud. Never spoke to Dallas but the Dad had nothing but goods things to say about Dallas and SPAL.

Guess I just like a good legal debate.

bobtodrick
02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Simple question... evasive answer

No more evasive than someone who won't post under their own name.
I could come back with...why do you want to know?

bobtodrick
02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
One also had to wonder why, if Dallas is not getting stock why he is listed on the dealers page http://www.hoyt.com/dealer_locator/
Their website was updated Feb 21st, 2014.

diamond k
02-26-2014, 04:38 PM
First off no I will not post my name up here but if someone is that interested they can sure PM and depending on why you want it I may be inclined to give it.
It would be crazy for me incite possible retrubution from some idiot to me or my family.

Secondly I am not a employee of SWPA or any other bow shop for that matter but have several friends involved in the archery business. No I am not this infamous person who SWPA is "suing" although I bet you all find out that it is a bunch of hot air.

Since you have asked so eloquently about my experienece I will tell you and I am sure Dallas will know exactly who this if he did not already.

I went in and ordered a dozen arrows and a sight from him and requested the arrows be cut to a certain size. He said about 10 days and they would be in and I paid for them as they were special order. 3 months later after severeal calls and the end of archery season they come in. I go in to pick them up and they are the wrong arrows. I told him these are wrong and claims that what I ordered. I pulled out my invoice and it says right there what I ordered. He say well it is not his fault they sent these and they cut them. Not my issue I said and i was not willing to wait another 3 months so I would just take my money back for the arrows and would take my sight. He says no way on the refund and puts my sight on the counter. It was opened. I asked why it was opened and he said he did not know. I have a look at the sight and it has been mounted as evidence by the mounting screws. I said this is a used sight not the new one I paid for. He goes upstairs and comes back and says apparently one of his guys wanted to try it so mounted it to take a few shots. I said well I guess he just bought himself a new sight. Dallas says it was special order so no returns. At this point I am about ready to snap. My buddy who is with me and has known Dallas for years can see I am upset and said let me talk to him for a minute. Dallas tells him that I am being unreasonable and that he cant afford to give my money back.

I try to be reasonable and tell Dallas to reduce the sight by 25% and take the remainder out of his guys paycheck. The arrows I have no use for as they were 300 not 400's. so he will have to eat that and try and sell to somebody else.

No way he says and that I am crazy if he thinks I am going to give that discount as he claims he will lose money. Again not my issue. He says you take this stuff or not he does not care but there will be no refund. I take the sight and left in absolute discust. As me and my friend are leaving he walks us out and says to us outside that if we ever step in that store again he will throw us out.

If Dallas wants to sue that is fine I have a witness and my best friend is one of the top defense lawyers is Edmonton and would love to rack up Dallas's lawyer bills from his mini mall counsel. I am quite sure I dont have to worry.

As for suppliers instead of looking at the sight why dont you call Hoyt like I did. You might be surprised what they tell you. As far as Prime contract I got that right from the VP and Canadian distributor at the SCI show.

Yes my "opionion" is that Dallas is a thief and and lier.

You all are free to form your own opionions be it from my experience or your own. Jimbows and CAC I will gladly drive the 3 hours to give you my business.

This will be my last comment on this thread so no luck in trying to engage me in an internet war

bobtodrick
02-27-2014, 08:39 AM
This will also be my last comment.
First...always two sides to every story. I've heard a different version of Diamonds story..but it's not up to be to relate it...that would have to come from the 'horses mouth' so to speak.
Second...in this thread alone...16 positive experiences (many who've had numerous dealings at SPAL)...one 'bad' and one that's made a judgment call after one visit.
People can draw their own conclusions.

hunt247
02-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Haha looks like Diamond K has won this one. I love these threads that go no where

nekred
02-27-2014, 09:09 AM
I have had bad dealings with dallas even without stepping into his store....

Young fellow I was coaching got advice on arrows and so we got him some very specific indoor arrows that had fat shafts and very forgiving and had to be left long for proper spine at his draw weight.... he his shooting well and goes into SPAL to practice and they decide his arrows are too long and cut 3" off of them making them way to stiff and would not refund or make their mistake right....

He is no longer a Quest/Prime/G5 dealer for a reason.

nekred
02-27-2014, 09:12 AM
No more evasive than someone who won't post under their own name.
I could come back with...why do you want to know?

I just asked if you were a lwayer and how many cases you won because to me action and experience walk while BS talks.....

or to put it another way...

Because you opened yer yapper about law and legal stuff and it is more like you opened yer crapper....... so stuff it up yer snapper.....

bobtodrick
02-27-2014, 09:24 AM
I just asked if you were a lwayer and how many cases you won because to me action and experience walk while BS talks.....

Because you opened yer yapper about law and legal stuff and it is more like you opened yer crapper....... so stuff it up yer snapper.....

I'll bet your mom's real proud of you.

nekred
02-27-2014, 09:29 AM
This will also be my last comment.

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!....

nekred
02-27-2014, 09:32 AM
I need to get out fishing... watching a big ol trout come after the fly and gobble it on surface..... would be much better than this!....

getting Cabin Fever!....

diamond k
02-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I need to get out fishing... watching a big ol trout come after the fly and gobble it on surface..... would be much better than this!....

getting Cabin Fever!....

Me too. 3 weeks until archery hog hunt in Texas.

bhguy
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM

I like rhyming....good on ya on eof the best come backs on here ever

Triple droptine
02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I have had mixed results with SPAL with Dallas as the owner (nothing but great dealings before that). Most of the time I find him arrogant and obnoxious and the service has not been great. The last two times I was in picking up arrows him and the other employees were very quick and helpful. Dallas still had a bit of an attitude but it was tolerable.

Did go to try to check out new bows last spring and they didn't have any in stock, that seems crazy to me.

That being said I have not been very impressed by their archery knowledge for the most part. The first time I dealt with Dallas he had me shooting the cock feather the wrong way and I ended up getting contact with the rest. Last year they were trying to tell me that shooting an arrow that was 350ish grains was fine/recommended for moose. Not saying it won't work but I don't think that it is a great idea on a creature that big. And he tried to tell me that was because a heavier arrow is coming down at an angle and then it doesn't cut as well as an arrow coming in more horizontal???

I will try and support them occasionally because it is nice to have something local but if he wants to increase his business he needs to understand that he is in service industry and he needs the customer, not the other way around.

510-Gem
02-28-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't run an archery shop, so I don't know what sort of challenges/frustrations are part of the job. I've been shooting for 12 years since I bought my first complete set-up from a good fellow who ran a small business out of his basement. He ran an indoor shoot at one of the community halls and the day I bought my first set-up I met him at the range. He coached me through the do's and don'ts, proper form etc, and I loosed my first few arrows (they were aluminum in those days!). Afterwards wrote him a cheque and he was my go to for all things archery after that up until I moved away.

Since then, I think that about 50% of the experiences I have had with so called 'experts' in bow shops have been negative, off-putting and with a lasting impression of the business. I typically don't go near support staff at the big stores anymore, and tend to do a lot more things myself now (fletching, tuning etc). Being a good bow tech nowadays seems to mean coming off as some expert no-it-all savior of all your problems. These guys LOVE to tell you your "shooting the wrong arrows for that bow"...

I'll add that the one and only time I had a string break was in this particular shop with one of their new Mathews Monsters. It was pretty busy and the arrow ricochet off the cement floor and ended up behind the till. The first thing they tried telling me was that I hit the release in mid draw, when on closer inspection it was clear that the knot connected to those stupid cable rings let go. Glad no one was hurt, still gives me the chills.