PDA

View Full Version : Climbing stand question

mtnhunter
08-30-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm a new bowhunter (2nd season) and am starting to consider a tree stand. I have read good things about climbing stands, however, I have a newbie question:

Can you use them in spruce trees, and how do you climb with all the boughs in the way? Cut them all down?

I'm thinking a spruce tree would offer lots of coverage...

russ
08-30-2013, 04:29 PM
For a climber to work as intended any branches that in the way need to be removed.

mtnhunter
08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks Russ. Do you typically hunt out of spruce or pines or aspens then?

russ
08-30-2013, 05:07 PM
I generally hunt in what us prairie people call poplar.

Dog hunter
08-30-2013, 11:05 PM
I like a nice straight poplar in front of a spruce to break up my silhouette if at all possible and dont go to small if it gets windy u will be sea sick

mtnhunter
08-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. What is everyone's preference when it comes to easy of setup and use for ladder stands vs. stands with climbing pegs or sticks vs. climbing stands?

mike.t
08-31-2013, 08:21 PM
Can't help you too much on that, I just bought a summit viper (climber) and absolutely love it, I hunt in a couple defferent areas around Calgary and the versatility of taking it with me too the different location is why I decided too buy the climber verses the pegs and ladder stands.

freeride
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM
I used to use a climber and just tied on a little wood saw for branches on the way up. Worked great and fast.
But i sold the summit viper... I would fall asleep in it way too fast. So comfy!

mtnhunter
09-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to be looking for a Summit climber given all the reviews I have seen.

mike.t
09-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to be looking for a Summit climber given all the reviews I have seen.

Also just a quick tip after looking all around town, grab yourself a big game tree stand bow holder, if your usuing a bow, ( wholesale has best selection of summit and the only ones in town that have that bracket in stock) best 20 bucks I spent since the stand. Mounts perfect on the side by the stirrups on the standing platform and holds bow tight, quiet and within inches of your hand.
Cheers
Mike

fast_pass88
09-01-2013, 06:52 PM
i bought a ladder stand as my first one a few years ago. am considering selling it and getting a basic hang on stand. the ladders stands you cant adjust the height, which is a real pain if there are large branches or a bend in the trunk at that spot. also, a alot of bulk to pack in. i find mine is noisy if i move, where the ladders slip together it squeaks.

i've never used a climber but i think it would be a pain in a thick spruce to cut off all the branches, which does cut some of your cover away.

but if your hunting on crown land a climber would be nice so youre not leaving it out there to be stolen

Dogwalker
09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
I used hangers most of my bowhunting life but love my 'Ol Man climber but they went bankrupt over a 157 million $ law suit a few years back (long story). I might buy another climber, not sure which company, yet. And yes, the tree must be clean - i.e. white popular. I bought my very first ladder stand at CT last year. I find it safe and comfy OK but it seems to creak a bit. Also, you need two people to set it up. My nephew and I really struggled with it.