PDA

View Full Version : eagle lake pike??

jesse34567
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
hey guys i am headed to eagle lake come this labor day and i want to know how the fishing has been at eagle lake??

Nerdapres'
08-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Shi**y, as usual.

...if you mean the Strathmore one.

jesse34567
08-30-2008, 12:43 PM
anyone else i really need some info on this lake

floppychicken
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah,

That lake 'may be' on it's way to becoming fishless.... Someone was commenting on another board about how the weeds and crap are encroaching on the spawn areas of the lake and something about poor oxygen levels and stuff like that... Basically said the lake was 'dying'.

I remember that lake being a 30+ fish day quite, easily with over half being nice sized Walleye.... Last time out I was having problems marking anything on the finder...and the weeds ! Yikes..

If you 'must' fish this body of water, I'd suggest trying some 'Rattlin' Raps' up through the very middle of the lake and some weedless spoons just about everywhere else. A slow, erratic draw on some floating plugs might be OK for the Odd Pike in the water just above and around the weedlines on the West side of the lake. Top water Pike action is a freakin' HOWL ! (...providing they're there, of course :)

Anyway,... Good luck and let us know how you make out !

Cheers,

/FC...

jesse34567
08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
if i catch anything i well post some pics

SuCraM
08-31-2008, 02:23 PM
All the luck to you man I tried a couple times last year and not a nibble and everyone else i talked to on boats with fish finders said they had nothing either. Hard to believe that there is still a 0 walleye limit there considering you cant even catch one. At any rate have fun and tight lines. I would personally take an extra half hour drive and go to crawling valley as the walleye and pike has been pretty good as of late.

PlayDoh
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Hard to believe that there is still a 0 walleye limit there considering you cant even catch one.

Proabably because the notion of a Walleye limit wasn't concived of until 10 years ago, and 40 years too late for a lot of lakes.

I'd guess all the fertililizers in the surrounding area, and phosphate from Strathmore are whats creating the weed problems. That and the drought we've had in the area three years ago and more, didn't help either.

Then again, lakes are no different then everything else, they live and die too. With more and more irrigation, and now the oil feild drinking up the H2O theres less and less for lakes like Eagle. Ask 100 people in Strathmore and 90 of them couldn't give 2 sh1ts about Eagle lake, now that their parents cleaned out the fish, and polluted the water. lol

I'd keep in mind that simply because angling is less productive, doesn't necessarily equate to a near dead lake. The fish that remain may stay undersized and don't respond as well to common bait and lures, and are tougher to get to. Who knows? Both Pike and Walleye like the weeds, yet weeds consume the oxygen, so until someone can maintain a healthy balance for the water, its likely only going to get worse. I wish I would have seen it in its 'glory days'.