PDA

View Full Version : bow hunting without a stand

Bushmonkey
09-01-2013, 10:34 PM
It's my first season with a bow. I don't want to be commited to one tree stand all season and I don't have the money for multiple stands. Thought about a climber, but the area I hunt just doesn't have the many decent tree's to hang a stand anyways.

So what are my other options?

I was thinking of making a portable blind out of 2x2's. Something like a half circle and just high enough to shoot over while sitting on a chair or something. It would be a 2x2 frame with burlap over it.

Would this work? Or would the deer see it as out of place.

Any other thoughts? I'm finding it tougher than rifle! Cant just sit at the bottom of a tree with some bushes to hid.

A Sittn Duck
09-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Sure, build yourself a ground blind. Use the natural foliage around you to bush it in and make it seem more natural. The deer will notice something new in their territory so may seem skittish at first so the earlier it's built the better. After a week or so they will become accustomed to seeing the blind there and ignore it. Your best shot is to build the blind and leave it alone for a little while to let the deer grow comfortable with it being there, then sneak in and harvest yourself an animal. The final step is to take some pics and post em here!:sHa_shakeshout:

MB1
09-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Buy a pop up blind used off kijiji or this site or cheaper yet go to walmart or Canadian tire and get a length of that camo bulap. leave it in the bush if possible so it doesn't smell like home, put it around the base of a few trees or across two fence posts and away you go. really light and easy to carry anywhere you go.

sakogreywolf
09-02-2013, 09:17 AM
:D Lol........Yep, bow hunting is nothing like rifle hunting.

Honestly, it is amazing what you can get away with by just using small shrubs and the lay of the land to obscure your presence. As long as you can hide your shape from sticking above the horizon, you will have a chance at getting close. Though obviously, you have to be very careful to keep your movements to a minimum.......and choose when to move according to what your prey is doing.

DeNomad
09-02-2013, 09:27 AM
You might enjoy Fred Absell's book on Stalking and Still Hunting. http://www.gfredasbell.com/GFA_Books_Videos.php#Stalking_Stillhunting. He talks about ground blinds and stalking, and how to move it through the woods. I found it a very good read, but I am a novice bow hunter.

DuckDuckElk!
09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Big advantage to the treestand is that it gets you up out of the deers line of sight and more importantly line of smell! A good option to consider is to get a lightweight treestand and climbing sticks (e.g. lonewolf, bucksteps, etc). One treestand and steps is very portable, quick to set up and will be a significant advantage over being on the ground (for Whitetails at least).

Zuludog
09-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Just some thoughts. :)
You could try a ASAT 3D suit and some natural cover to hide you on the ground.

A Ghost blind, the kind with the mirrors would work well and be portable (I'm really considering this myself).

Saw a few at a store the other day, that are some sort of netting and a bungee or rope & you secure them around trees, etc.

A pop up blind or blind made from natural foliage (as already mentioned) would work too.

Last year I was facing the same dilemma and ended up buying a climber and using it on some "skinny" trees but I survived. Ironically it was too little too late but I still saw lots of game from the ground but a lot were in the 50-75 yard range. :angry3: You're right it's not like rifle hunting but it sure was fun.:)

BigRackLover
09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Spend your time finding the best tree, and sit tight in November. That'll yield the best results and use of your time.