PDA

View Full Version : Back to fishing - need some help

BIGCU
09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Hey guys,

New to the forum and glad to be fishing again. Wondering if you guys can suggest some locations and reliable lures for in and around Edmonton? Its been 13 years since I last went fishing and my brother in law took me to most places. Dont remember them all but any locations you guys can suggest would be great. Went out yesterday all day and didn't catch a single fish and only bites I got were mosquito bites LOL.

Thanks in advance

JD

NEWB
09-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Hey guys,

New to the forum and glad to be fishing again. Wondering if you guys can suggest some locations and reliable lures for in and around Edmonton? Its been 13 years since I last went fishing and my brother in law took me to most places. Dont remember them all but any locations you guys can suggest would be great. Went out yesterday all day and didn't catch a single fish and only bites I got were mosquito bites LOL.

Thanks in advance

JD

Welcome!

There are many places to catch some fish here..

Are you looking at catch and release? What species are you going for? Are you lake fishing or river fishing?

Your first day out was similar of mine when I went out for the first time at the beginning of the season last year after a long hiatus.. It took me about 5 or so outings before I figured out what I was doing in a stocked rainbow trout pond.. hahahaha.

Now I head out 1-2 times a week. I have yet to be skunked.

Anyways.. Since It has been a while I you should become familiar with the line knots. Here is a link to them. http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

There is a lot of valuable information on this site. I also encourage you to research the species you are going for. Find out their habitats, what they like to eat, hide, etc. You can then take that knowledge, apply it and look for certain locations on the various bodies of water you are looking at.

You can also look into what hardware has been successfull for what you are going for.

If you’re looking for stocked rainbow trout there is Hermitage Pond and also the Beaumont Pond. The fish are small about 5.5 – 6.5 inches roughly. This is shore fishing. I haven't fished Beaumont Pond yet. I fished Hermatige pond back in late may.

If you are going for pike Wabamun is great. Lac Ste. Anne and Pigeon are great for Walleys. However you need a boat for the most part..

There are lots of catch and release lakes near by. Check the regs before you plan to head out for limits, sizes and if bait is allowed. The regs can be found here. http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Hope this helps.

BIGCU
09-03-2013, 02:51 PM
thanks for the reply.

More catch and release unless its a nice sized one, then i'll keep for dinner

My outting yesterday was:
Devon bridge NSR underpass at 6am-10am, nothing.

Hermitage 1-3pm, not a single trout was caught by anyone. Headed to NSR by Evergreen in Fork Sk, (not sure where exactly but was across from The Quarry golf course, thats how i found out about that location) was there from 4-930pm, not a nibble or anything. 5 other anglers came and gone and no one caught anything either.

Not looking for any specific fish, just the fun excitement of actually catching one again. Caught 2 walleyes when i was houseboating in Shuswap Lake a month ago and that reeled me back into fishing LOL.

All fishing was done from shore. No access to a boat yet.

Wild&Free
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Keep an eye on the fishing partner sticky at the top of this forum, some good members occasionally post in there looking for some company, and for the most part everyone who posts in there will be able to teach you something about fishing.

There's a search function for this forum, and tons of posts about the various ponds and lakes near Edmonton, and even more about the NSR. All of these posts, if you go through them will have some tidbit of information that will help you get into some fish. Most won't contain specific location details, but there is a google maps of fishing spots thread somewhere as well that will have some info for you.

As for gear/lure suggestion, well I have a tackle box with several hundred dollars, probably closer to a grand worth of stuff and for the most part all I use is a weight, swivel and a hook, occasionally a bobber. Bait helps too. For me, the best part of fishing is just being outdoors near water, catching fish is just a bonus.