PDA

View Full Version : 27" Bull

Lonie
09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
Was out on the clearwater this weekend, fishing was fantastic.

burbotman
09-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Great outing. Some very fine fish. Thank you for sharing

Rikkles Fisher
09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Was out on the clearwater this weekend, fishing was fantastic.

A cutthroat and a rainbow off the Clearwater? What area are you fishing! Lol I have never caught either out of there!

Rikkles Fisher
09-04-2013, 09:54 AM
You must have meant "clear water" lol that makes more sense.

catchandeat
09-04-2013, 05:51 PM
A cutthroat and a rainbow off the Clearwater? What area are you fishing! Lol I have never caught either out of there!

me either! so there's browns, rainbows, cutts, bulls, and brookies in there? wow, that's pretty diverse.
great report!

Rikkles Fisher
09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
me either! so there's browns, rainbows, cutts, bulls, and brookies in there? wow, that's pretty diverse.
great report!

I think he must have just meant clear water not the Clearwater river.

Lonie
09-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Nope ment the Clearwater river west of Caroline upstream of where the Tay flows in. 90% of the trout are browns and bulls but the rest are in there. Its an awesome day when you get all five.There is also a pile of white fish as well.

catchandeat
09-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Nope ment the Clearwater river west of Caroline upstream of where the Tay flows in. 90% of the trout are browns and bulls but the rest are in there. Its an awesome day when you get all five.There is also a pile of white fish as well.

awesome! that's good to know :) would love to cross bull and cutthroat and brookie off my list... haha
it sucks that they close the season so early to retention too, because I love eating fish.... oh well, adleast its still open

codywf
09-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I've fished the Clearwater for the past 16 years and have never seen either a rainbow or cutthroat, but I've fished pretty much every mile from camp worthington to the FTR road and never encounter or heard of anyone catching one until you. Not to mention both spawn in the late spring when this particular river blows out unlike most rivers. Congrats on the fish though, you are obviously much more fortunate than me, just color me skeptical.

Lonie
09-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Hey codywf been fishing out there a lot longer than that. Here is a pic of my truck.We are always camped down by Worthington, swing in and I will take you fishing for cuts and bows.

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey codywf been fishing out there a lot longer than that. Here is a pic of my truck.We are always camped down by Worthington, swing in and I will take you fishing for cuts and bows.

I have been fishing that area for years as well and never seen a cuttie or rainbow out of there, I would be amazed to see you pull one out, so when we goin? Lol

Alberta Bigbore
09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Nice fish!!!!

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Nice fish!!!!

Very nice fish! Still don't think they are from Clearwater River though.

codywf
09-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I know that cutthroats were stocked as an experiment to see how they would do, they did a study years later and did not recover any, however that doesn't mean that they are not there as apparently there are, there are huge bulls and brows in the river, my dad caught a 31" bull 4 years ago and I got a 28" brown 6 years ago. The rainbows are what really caught my eye, there is no documentation of them ever being introduced. To the OP, I'm not tryin to bring down your post, just 16 years of fishing a river and I've never seen any fish other than bulls, browns, bookies and whitefish. It's a bit of a shock to say the least, a picture of the background would change my mind however :P

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes I agree I am not bringing down the original poster one bit! Just really hard to believe is all, I have friends that fish that river alot as well and none of us have ever come across a cutthroat or a rainbow.

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 12:19 PM
awesome! that's good to know :) would love to cross bull and cutthroat and brookie off my list... haha
it sucks that they close the season so early to retention too, because I love eating fish.... oh well, adleast its still open

You can still keep them from the FTR down to the NSR on the Clearwater, why what part are you fishing?

tight line
09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Nice fish! Ive caught 1 cutt out of the Clearwater. Never seen a bow, but they have lots of access points!

catchandeat
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
You can still keep them from the FTR down to the NSR on the Clearwater, why what part are you fishing?

OHHH that makes sense. I never realized what part of the river I was technically in, so I always assumed it was one of these two, and since they both had the same regs I figured I would be safe that way....:
Clearwater River
from headwaters downstream to Timber Creek

River only
l
Apr. 1 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over
30 cm; Bait Ban.
l
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Bait Ban.
l
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
Tributaries from headwaters downstream to, and including
Timber Creek –
CLOSED.
from Timber Creek downstream to the Forestry Trunk Road
(bridge situated in 5-35-09-W5)
& tributaries
except Elk Creek
l
30 cm; Bait Ban.
l
l

I didn't realize the FTR to the NSR had different regulations, that's awesome. I can still keep fish then! :sHa_shakeshout:
so has anyone ever caught walleye burbot or pike in the clearwater?

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
OHHH that makes sense. I never realized what part of the river I was technically in, so I always assumed it was one of these two, and since they both had the same regs I figured I would be safe that way....:
Clearwater River
from headwaters downstream to Timber Creek

River only
l
30 cm; Bait Ban.
l
l
Tributaries from headwaters downstream to, and including
Timber Creek –
CLOSED.
from Timber Creek downstream to the Forestry Trunk Road
(bridge situated in 5-35-09-W5)
& tributaries
except Elk Creek
l
30 cm; Bait Ban.
l
l

I didn't realize the FTR to the NSR had different regulations, that's awesome. I can still keep fish then! :sHa_shakeshout:
so has anyone ever caught walleye burbot or pike in the clearwater?
You forgot to paste the part that says where you can actually keep them but yeah it's not all closed! And no I haven't.

BBT
09-05-2013, 07:11 PM
You forgot to paste the part that says where you can actually keep them but yeah it's not all closed! And no I haven't.

He also forgot to paste the part about fish handling.:scared0018:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/helpful-info.html

Tips on Releasing FishIf a fish is handled carefully and gently, it will have an excellent chance of survival. The most important factor related to fish mortality is damage caused by the hook penetrating the gill and stomach regions. Fish hooked in the lip or mouth have a better chance of survival. Avoiding methods that result in deeply hooked fish is the best way to reduce hooking mortality. “Still fishing” with bait, where the line is not actively attended, usually results in more deeply hooked fish. Attending the line to set the hook immediately at the time of the strike may reduce the occurrence of deeply hooked fish. Fish have a reduced chance of survival if they are caught in deep water (>7 m or 23 feet).Retrieve your catch quickly.Release fish immediately (with care).Avoid squeezing the fish.Keep your fingers out of the gills.Keep the fish in water as much as possible.Remove the hook carefully.Leave deeply swallowed hooks in the fish.(Side-cutters can be used to cut the hook instead of the line).Help revive the fish by holding it in the water.Do not fizz – it reduces survival.Fish for walleye and perch in relatively shallow water.For more information, obtain a copy of the pamphlet “Handle and Release Fish with Care” from your nearest*Fish and Wildlife Division office.

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
He also forgot to paste the part about fish handling.:scared0018:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/helpful-info.html

catchandeat was not the OP, but yeah go ahead and mention it someone has to be a stickler I guess.

catchandeat
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM

whoops... forgot to put that part in too.
I would think that the other species must come from the NSR, but only rarely I would have to imagine.

Rikkles Fisher
09-05-2013, 11:29 PM
whoops... forgot to put that part in too.
I would think that the other species must come from the NSR, but only rarely I would have to imagine.

I would think if anywhere it would be closer to the headwaters.

Fritze
09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Nice pickerals!