PDA

View Full Version : arrow stuck . how do you removed

fishtank
09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
shot a couple of arrow in the basement and i have old solid wood door as the backstop i think it went in about a inch or so was shooting 100 grain field points .

any help is appreciated, thanks

Zuludog
09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Take two screw divers or chisels and hammer in on either side of the arrow along the split if there's one. Use screw drivers to pry the "split" apart and remove arrow.
Don't ask me how I learned this. :scared0018:

stickflicker
09-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Spin the arrow out of the tip and wiggle the tip out with pliers.

fishtank
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
thanks
i only have 5 arrows , and 2 got stuck .

lone wolf
09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Take two screw divers or chisels and hammer in on either side of the arrow along the split if there's one. Use screw drivers to pry the "split" apart and remove arrow.
Don't ask me how I learned this. :scared0018:

Spin the arrow out of the tip and wiggle the tip out with pliers.

thanks
i only have 5 arrows , and 2 got stuck .

Good to know ............ I managed to shoot too high on my foam block in the garage at the weekend ............ significant other was less than impressed with the new hole in the back corner of the garage wall ......... :medium-smiley-035:

The removal job was made all the harder because I effectively pinned the block to the wall when the field tip also went through the carry strap on the top of the block :scared0018:

Lefty-Canuck
09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
This is a good reminder of why it is better to shoot in a contained area indoors rather than outside in the back yard.

LC

lone wolf
09-04-2013, 06:31 PM
This is a good reminder of why it is better to shoot in a contained area indoors rather than outside in the back yard.

LC

Excellent point LC ........... especially for nubes like me.

fishtank
09-04-2013, 06:33 PM

LC

and have a sturdy backstop :sHa_shakeshout:

canadian medic
09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
ive been shooting in a local gravel pit and now know sand make a much better back spot then gravel but the tips above make me really wonder about shooting in the basement this winter

happy honker
09-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I watched a lot of westerns this summer, and I think you have to give the door a bullet to bite on, then pour whiskey on the area the arrow went in, and either break it off, or pull it out the other side, or it will bleed to death.
As uncomfortable for the door as it might be...whenever the coast is clear, you need to throw it over the back of your horse and ride to town and wake up the doc.

This is all I know about arrow removal.

I shoot in my garage, and I have reinforced the back wall with boxes of clothing packed in plastic bags, as well as carboard behind that, and finally sheets of particle board.

I had one arrow take off on me when I was practicing outside (out of the city) and I was shaocked how suddenly that happened. Never practice outside in town guys....just don't.

normanrd
09-04-2013, 10:37 PM

LC

Voice of experience?

waterninja
09-05-2013, 02:19 AM
had the same thing happen to me. buddy (who shall remain anonnymous) tried my bow and stuck a field tip into the wood backstop 4 feet above the "safe" zone. it took me a long time to unscrew the shaft from the tip. saved the shaft but the tip is still there for future archeologists.
couldun't believe a man who can center a life saver at 20 yds. would miss by 6 feet with a strange bow! lol.

Lefty-Canuck
09-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Voice of experience?

Yes indeed! ;)

Horrible feeling when you have a malfunction and send an arrow through your shed and into your back fence....on the other side of that fence is where someone's grandchildren come over to play sometimes....basement is a much better place to shoot. Even if the yardage is half or less the distance.

LC

normanrd
09-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Lol, I too have sent them the ought the fence, but luckily the lot behind me is vacant and fence boards are cheap!

Pokee
09-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I put 2 field points through 1/2 " plywood and into a fence board,now that was a "chore" to pull out! Shot them again on next round after adjusting pins and no problem,gotta love carbons!

6.5 shooter
09-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Screw an old insert down onto the point and leave just enough room to get the claws of your claw hammer in and the point will come out of the wood in a jiffy!

You can pull the tip without the insert but..... it will bugger up the threads.

Unregistered user
09-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Unscrew the arrow get a slide hammer with the same thread, screw it into point tap tap voila.