PDA

View Full Version : Boat seat photo

Bjay
09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi guys
Here is a photo of the way I attach my boat seats. I get the aluminum from a machine shop as they are the only ones with a bender large enough to bend the thick aluminum. I measure the exact width of the seat so that the fit is perfect. 1/8 inch aluminum is what I use. Once attached I have never had a problem with the seats. I use all aluminum rivets, 3/16 inch to attach the aluminum to the boat seat. As I said in the other thread on boat seats most aluminum boat seats are not strong enough to hold a swivel seat bolted to it without it flexing. If you have a piece of wood on the seat take it off , bolt the swivel base to it then screw it back onto the aluminum boat seat, but put in extra screws. You will need to drill holes in the aluminum boat seat to match the bolt holes in the swivel base. Also , have a look at the type of seat I have in the picture. It is the best type of seat. Very solid. If you can get one with a higher back even better. The foam filled seats do not provide good back support as they are too soft if a lot of time is spent in the boat, besides the paint comes off the bracket in a couple of years and they look like hell as they get rusty. Always use stainless steel bolts and screws.
I hope all this helps Also read the info I supplied on Boat seats-- need advice for the mounting of the swivel seats.
Columbia old guy

HunterDave
09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
I like that design Bjay. Roughly how much does it cost for the piece of aluminum and getting it bent?

Bjay
09-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I believe the aluminum was about 5 bucks but the bending was about 25 bucks. Now that's here in Castlegar, B.C. Depending where you live could be about the same or a heck of a lot more if in Alberta. Ask before you commit to do the aluminum bit. If found that doing 2 pieces wasn't much more than doing one piece. Once the outfit sets up to do one piece it only takes a few minutes more to do a second piece, besides if you are to do one seat you might as well do back and front at the same time.

HunterDave
09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
That sounds like a reasonable price. I'm headed out to the lake after lunch so I'm going to go with what I have right now but when I have more time this Fall I'll look into doing things better. I'm thinking about stripping everything and painting the inside of the boat anyway. We have a metal shop right here in town that I think will be quite reasonable with the price. Thanks again!