Flieguy
09-06-2013, 05:55 AM
It's open up to the lost lemon mine lookout now :sHa_shakeshout:

which means past picklejar lakes

and the upper highwood

and plenty of other awesome places!

shooter
09-06-2013, 07:49 AM
http://www.albertaparks.ca/peter-lougheed/advisories-public-safety/highway-40-open-between-north-winter-gate-and-lost-lemon-pullout.aspx

Not even close to pickle jar.

http://drandkc.blogspot.ca/2013/08/going-where-you-cant-part-2.html

The above link has a good selection of pics to show just what road crews face after the floods.

Flieguy
09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
woops haha I thought it was open to Lost Lemon lookout from the other direction.... darn

MTB_FlyFisher
09-06-2013, 04:02 PM
From a bit of playing around with google maps it seems that the distance between the picklejar parking lot and the lost lemon pull-out is only about 13km. Not that bad of a pedal for a day trip if you're so inclined.

From the link that shooter posted (emphasis mine):
Day use sites and trails accessible from this recently opened section of highway are open for use. Trails and hunting areas beyond the road barricade at Lost Lemon Pullout are accessible for pedestrian and cycle traffic only.

Okotokian
09-06-2013, 04:06 PM
From a bit of playing around with google maps it seems that the distance between the picklejar parking lot and the lost lemon pull-out is only about 13km. Not that bad of a pedal for a day trip if you're so inclined.

From the link that shooter posted (emphasis mine):
Day use sites and trails accessible from this recently opened section of highway are open for use. Trails and hunting areas beyond the road barricade at Lost Lemon Pullout are accessible for pedestrian and cycle traffic only.

I had heard cyclists were being ticketed. So far can we get from the south end of 40 now????

MTB_FlyFisher
09-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I had heard cyclists were being ticketed. So far can we get from the south end of 40 now????

I'd also heard that cyclists and other users were being ticketed if they ventured past the barricades which is why I was a bit excited to read that the North end of the highway was now open to human-powered traffic past the new barricade at lost lemon.

As to your question regarding how far from the South end people are allowed (if at all) I don't have an answer for you and my google-fu has let me down on that one. If you're thinking of venturing in past the South barricade it might be wise to make a few quick calls to see if you're allowed to be in that area.

It may just be that there is space at Lost Lemon for multiple people to easily park vehicles if they're venturing in past the barricade so they're allowing it. I'm not sure if there is space at the South end without people being douche-nozzles about how they park their cars for them to allow people to park and access, but that's just random speculation.