PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Report 2

RavYak
09-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Was going to bump my other thread but see it went further downhill...

Got back out to Wabamun with bigrfish today. Was a beautiful day, very calm and nice to have cloud cover as well.

Together we easily caught 40 or 50 pike, at least a dozen perch and a handful of walleye. Here are a couple pictures of bigrfish with his monster perch and walleye.

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/6633/7y1n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/760/4mv3.jpg

Then it happened, fish on. Could tell it was decent then all of a sudden drag is squealing. After a couple pulls I get the fish up close enough to see and it is clear I have definitely broken the 10 lb mark. We got the fish landed and took a picture.

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/148/5w36.jpg

Measured 37 inches. My scale only said 13.5 lbs but both of us are pretty sure it was at least 15. Very thick healthy fish. Felt good to finally break the 10 lb mark, now I have to shoot for 20 lol.

bwackwabbit
09-06-2013, 08:44 PM
That's a helluva fish!... Of course I meant the Perch....lol, JK.
Nice Wabagator!

RavYak
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
That's a helluva fish!... Of course I meant the Perch....lol, JK.
Nice Wabagator!

Was pretty cool to see bigrfish catching the little perch and walleye. I knew they were in there but had never seen either come out of Wab.

Alberta Bigbore
09-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Congrats on a fine days fishing!

Fishfinder
09-06-2013, 09:12 PM
:sHa_shakeshout: there she be. Now after the 20 haha!

Way to go!:)

RigPig
09-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice fish you beat me and my brother who were on the lake today also. We managed about 20 all pike with about a 6 pound average and the largest being 9. My bro did lose a bout a 15 lber at the boat though.
Keep up the hunt for the elusive 20 pound hog.

Lund rebel
09-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Looks like a good day seems lately there are a bunch of bigger fish showing up.

bigrfish
09-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I told u I would dispute this...lol.Just calibrated both scales with deadlift 20lb wt.with 20 pulls on each scale.The digital read 26.5lbs when fish was weighed.Net dry is exactly 3.5lbs add say 3-5lbs for water weight and ur left with........at least 18lbs.What a beauty...good on ya Rav

JohninAB
09-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Excellent and congrats.

Was going to head out yesterday myself but just couldn't do it. Sunday will be the day.

EZM
09-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Great pictures ............. I can't wait to hook a walleye out of Wab.

I would probably be more excited to catch a 1lb walleye over a 10lb pike ........these eyes seem to be a rare treat out there.

I will be out there Sunday ........... weather should be perfect.

wags
09-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice looking fish! Congrats

ineptflux
09-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Haha that pic of the little walleye is the best pic ever LOL!

Chewie66
09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice pike man, congrats on breaking the 10lb mark. I'm sure 20+ is just around the corner. I hate to ask this, but were the first two picks photoshopped? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

bigrfish
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Nope...lol

OneGirlWolfPack
09-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Holy! 40 or 50 pike? That's crazy! So awesome you guys. :)

RavYak
09-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Was out again today in the kayak. At least 20 pike including 2 over 10 lbs.

This one was 37" 11 lbs 10 ounces.

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8370/xyg4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9639/xn1j.jpg

Later I caught another one that I am pretty sure was over 40 inches long. I got it up to the boat and unhooked the lure but when I was trying to get my tape and scale out of my tackle box he flopped out of my hand. Disappointed as I believe he might have been my largest to date, guessing around 40 inches and 15 lbs.

Lots of big pike in there.

ddddd05
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Great shots of the walleye and perch. Did you catch them on the same lures you were using for pike?

RavYak
09-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Bigrfish was targeting walleye.

EZM
09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
RavCanoe .......... stay out of my trolling line !!!!! lol ........ we passed you a few times and my I-pilot wanted to run you over ........ funny how technology makes us all lazy. God I love that thing ....... I can troll right along the drop off, zig zagging in and out, and stay on fish without touching the controls for an hour ........

I think you were fighting your big one when we (TrophyPikeHunter and I) passed you the first time ........ It was funny to see your kayak being pulled around ....... we had a chuckle

After we finished our first pass, having landed a few fish, ..... we went out to the reef and had steady action but nothing big. Got one nice one towards the end of the day on the other end toward town.

I have the Black Lund Tyee with the Honda ........ now all I need is a pirate's flag and a ram's head on the front ..........

RavYak
09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Haha nice to meet you EZM. Man I wish I had a boat with i-pilot, would sure be nice fishing that drop off like you say, not to mention using it as an electronic anchor. Only issue would be all the yahoos in kayaks anchored on the drop off :thinking-006:.

The first time you passed when I was getting dragged was when I caught the 11 lb 10 oz one. I had to unhook my anchor because he was pulling me around and almost got wrapped up in it lol.

Lund rebel
09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
RavCanoe .......... stay out of my trolling line !!!!! lol ........ we passed you a few times and my I-pilot wanted to run you over ........ funny how technology makes us all lazy. God I love that thing ....... I can troll right along the drop off, zig zagging in and out, and stay on fish without touching the controls for an hour ........

I think you were fighting your big one when we (TrophyPikeHunter and I) passed you the first time ........ It was funny to see your kayak being pulled around ....... we had a chuckle

After we finished our first pass, having landed a few fish, ..... we went out to the reef and had steady action but nothing big. Got one nice one towards the end of the day on the other end toward town.

I have the Black Lund Tyee with the Honda ........ now all I need is a pirate's flag and a ram's head on the front ..........

I figured it was you out on the reef by fallis we were also in the area black lund rebel

Red Neck
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
:thinking-006:Me thinks we were also near at least within earshot?? Myself and oldguy/my dad:) are in the red & white Star Craft Evenrud 90 out back? we were having basicly same kinda day/ But we did land our first Wab walleye ever:) Rigt on when it comes to new teck spoiling us? But it sure works:):)
Red Neck Out:scared0018:

RavYak
09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I figured it was you out on the reef by fallis we were also in the area black lund rebel

I stayed around the point all day just switched from east to west side a couple times, I believe sushi man was down by the reef in his kayak though.

Sure was yet another beautiful day out on Wab fishing and weather wise. Turning out to be a very nice fall so far.

Fishfinder
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Haha nice to meet you EZM. Man I wish I had a boat with i-pilot, would sure be nice fishing that drop off like you say, not to mention using it as an electronic anchor. Only issue would be all the yahoos in kayaks anchored on the drop off :thinking-006:.

The first time you passed when I was getting dragged was when I caught the 11 lb 10 oz one. I had to unhook my anchor because he was pulling me around and almost got wrapped up in it lol.

Yahoos on kayaks are allowed to fish there too. Some of us prefer non motors and like to take it ALL in. Technology can almost put the fish in the boat these days. Dif strokes, dif folks. I see what your saying, but Yahoos, kinda an insult No? Perty sure same could be said for "some" motor boaters....jus sayin.

Cheers.

RavYak
09-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Yahoos on kayaks are allowed to fish there too. Some of us prefer non motors and like to take it ALL in. Technology can almost put the fish in the boat these days. Dif strokes, dif folks. I see what your saying, but Yahoos, kinda an insult No? Perty sure same could be said for "some" motor boaters....jus sayin.

Cheers.

I think you missed the joke. I was the yahoo on the kayak lol.

ineptflux
09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Cheers.

Kinda like the "yahoos" doing donuts and riding 35 kmph on seadoos by the boat launch on Sunday at Wab? I watched as they almost sunk a poor guys 12 foot boat after riding maybe 6-7' from him.

Fishfinder
09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I think you missed the joke. I was the yahoo on the kayak lol.

Varooooom! That was the joke going right over my marble solar panel. Doh! Umm, I get it now....ugh:bad_boys_20:

Haha, good stuff!

EZM
09-11-2013, 09:25 PM

I was wondering if that was your rig ........... you have the merc on the back of yours?

I think you might have been north of us, toward the north shore line, when we were trolling the big reef a mile or so off fallis.

next time drop by and say hi ........ we can exchange lies.

The funny thing is .......... there was maybe 7-8 boats out on that end of the lake fishing ........... 4 forum members .......

We should take over the world !!!!!!!!!!!!

There are also another 8-10 members I see out there quite often.

Lund rebel
09-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I was wondering if that was your rig ........... you have the merc on the back of yours?

I think you might have been north of us, toward the north shore line, when we were trolling the big reef a mile or so off fallis.

next time drop by and say hi ........ we can exchange lies.

The funny thing is .......... there was maybe 7-8 boats out on that end of the lake fishing ........... 4 forum members .......

We should take over the world !!!!!!!!!!!!

There are also another 8-10 members I see out there quite often.

Yep that was me, for some reason I figured u had a white lund and wasn't until you went by the cliff I looked and saw the grey Honda and figured had to be you.

JohninAB
09-12-2013, 07:10 AM
I am usually over that way as well. Black and grey Crestliner side console with a Merc on the back.

RavYak
09-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Was out at Wab on Tuesday again with bigrfish, things were slow for some reason but ended up catching half a dozen fish each including my first Wab walleye which came with the added bonus of a fishing net.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7026/3fp0.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/3319/dcyv.jpg

Sure it was dead but hey, still a Wab walleye lol.

JohninAB
09-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Bummer on the walleye but congrats on your first net I am sure!

I spent yesterday at Wabamun. Fishing was slow. Caught 13 fish total. Nothing big as biggest was 2-3 lbs. Tried most every spot I have fished on the lake before.

Fishing may have been slow, but it was a gorgeous day on the lake, one of the nicest the whole summer.

Red Neck
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
It has really slowed down the last bit? I hope when it cools down the big girls will need to eat again? years ago I caught a patio umbrella in coal lake?? I was sure it was really something or some one dead, because it was a hard steady pull. must of been off some ones cabin? we released it:)
Red Neck Out
:scared0018: