PDA

View Full Version : Any Southern Guys!!!

jrs
03-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Anyone have some ice reports. Will traverse or twin valley still be safe here after the warm snap? I don't want to drive all the way to the mountains but am thinking i may have to. Thanks if anyone can help.

RyanGSP
03-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey JRS just going off the pond int he backyard but there is some water ontop but still enough I can walk on it. Smaller body of water should thaw faster than a lake. The mountains are also alot colder.

My old man was out at dipping vat and darn near had every part of the blade on the auger in the ice.

BIG J
03-09-2007, 09:48 AM
hey ryan.how did your dad make out at dippin vat?i went out there last summer and had a huge summer kill.just curious if there are still some fish there,thanks!

RyanGSP
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
him and a friend caught 10 nothing under 16 biggest 20 inches. They used corn on jigheads or deadly dicks

jrs
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks Ryan, the little ponds i drive by have ducks today. I've heard staffords opening up but haven't confirmed it. Do you think sherburn will still be safe? Otherwise i'll head west but its nice to try for pike when theres at least a bit of ice left. Its really blowing today and the Oldman is rising as well (almost ice free along sections). Could have walked accross it yesterday.

RyanGSP
03-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I havent been out to sherburne but Sugar Factory had some open spots on the west side and it was open around the cattails.

Why dont you come down to dipping vat after some trout.

staytuned
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been to Badger boat launch to almost the corner of the N dam - 24". Keho east end canal both sides & out in front - 20". Sherburne from the north boat launch to the houses, 6" of water on top, 20" of ice under. Drove the truck full of gear & people on the ice at all these places. Raymond, Cross Coulee, & Ridge, some parts are open (from what people tell me). Going out to Sherburne Saturday, Chin on Sunday, let eveyone know on Monday.

RyanGSP
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
jrs we are leaving at 8 am tomorrow hoping to be there around 10. We will have a Black ford ranger, and a blue kia or volker steven truck. there should be about 3 ice tents on the ice and hopfuly a German Shorthair running around. My cell is 892 6734

jrs
03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
May have to Ryan. Initially i was trying to take a friend out that can't travel to far due to health. I'm not 100% sure if he can come now and my alternatives (Travers, Littlebow, Lost) may have ice issues. The only thing i dislike about Dippingvat is the poor scenery compared to Beaver Mines or Butcher or Crowsnest etc, the nice thing is the usual slab rainbow for supper :eek . The other problem is i have not caught a good pike this year and it closes next week. May not be able to fish trout as late this year either, ice out is coming quick unless something changes. We'll see. Are you going to be out there tommorrow? The winds sounding a little sketchy but worse Sunday than tommorrow.

And,
Hey Lethal, if your around are you going out anywhere? Have you heard anything about ice on any of the lakes up towards Calgary a bit more? You can pm me if your going to stop somewhere, depending on how the drive goes tommorrow never know where i'll end up :D .

jrs
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey Ryan, i i end up that way i'll try to search you out. Too many choices eh? Sherburn is really tempting me as well, thanks for the report staytuned. I'll let you know what rig i'll have where-ever i end up. Stop by and see if any are biting...... I'll probably have my hideous green ice shack either way i go.

sherburne
03-10-2007, 02:15 AM
there on thursdays lots of ice had the car on but there was open water at the east end caught about 60ish perch meal worms for bait

rainbowriser
03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
hi ryan has your dad been over to paynlake latley how are bitetin?

jrs
03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, i wrapped up an unsuccesful pike season today. I woke up with intentions of heading to sherburn or dippingvat (dependent on wind). It was really wind so i headed north to Traverse. Fished from 8 till 1 at Travers by the provincial park, water murky, not a single hit on tip ups or whitefish setups. Proabably drilled 50 holes and fished them all, very sunny and warm so that may be the issue. Ice getting very sketchy in certain spots. Moved up Travers along the Recreation area, water a bit cleaner, fished till 4:30 before wind got really bad. Not a single bite. Ice was even sketchier!! I'll elaborate at end of report.

Finished day by driving by Littlebow, if anyones heading out before it closes go there, ice is definetly the best. We didn't fish but ice report is positive. Also drove by CPR on way home, ice as good as gone, lots of ducks if anyones into photography or bird watching.

As for the ice sketchiness at travers >: >: . Whoever is drilling chain saw holes deserves a swift kick in the rear. They drilled these holes about 2 feet X 3 feet dimensions, some bigger and didn't mark them. If your looking to kill someone nice try. I had to go cut a bunch of branches to mark them all, if it wasn't for treading lightly i would have gone in very easy, there was about 0.5 inch of ice on top. Stupidest thing i've ever seen ice fishing >: the way the edges were froze chances of escape for many individuals would be nearly impossible (especially children or the oldtimer fisherman that frequent the area).

jrs

rainbowriser
03-11-2007, 12:20 PM
just wondering if anyone has been fishing bever or bouvie latly im might hed out to lee in a bit to check ice conditions can hardly wait for fly fishing.

holes in ice
03-11-2007, 07:51 PM
3buy 4 holes local cutting ice for old fashioned ice hut cooler.

RyanGSP
03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
So far I havent been skunked at payne last time I was out I pulled a 16" out and usually we catch alot of 10-14 inch fish on a jighead and powerbait. I have heard its a 1/4 open though ice fishing season may be done for this year in the south.

PLOTT
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Was fishing at Beaver this morning.Fishing was good but ice is getting soft,still about 24 inches.

jrs
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Did you catch some nice ones? There was lots around 13'' last time i was out and even a little bully from my buddy's hole. How do you think the ice will last?

PLOTT
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
They were all from 10 to 14 inches but it wont take too many more warm days and I would not want to be on ice.It seems soft around shore.